[Game Day] Senators @ Sabres 8:00PM

SabresBeat

I could be wrong, but....

I am almost happy we are going in to this game on a 3 game slide. Unlike last Saturday where the heads of some guys may have been getting a little big for the room we have gotten a good dose of reality the past week.

If this team has the heart and balls that most of us think they have they should come out flying tonight. Maybe it does not even guarantee a win, because personally I still believe this year has been a huge example of overachievement, but they should be ready to run through walls come 8pm.

(And by overachievement I also mean that this team has the potential to be so good, but it is still young and expectations should be capped. We were not supposed to be this good this quick and a good sports team wants to build for the long-haul and you do that through experience and character players)

Does anyone feel like this is a more important game tonight, as opposed to last weeks matchup vs. the Sens?

I feel that last weeks game was certainly bigger...more hype, the Sabres were rolling, they could catch Ottawa, etc, but I think tonight is more IMPORTANT for the Sabres.

If they had won last week, it would have been great to be in first place for a bit, though it was a position they probably would have relinquished at some point in the near future. Last week, the Sabres had all the pressure in the world on them, were almost "due" to loose after winning 8 in a row, and wanted to take the next step in their progression against Ottawa - from winning at home, to winning on the road.

Tonight, the Sabres have none of those things hanging over their collective Goat Heads, which I feel almost makes it more important for them to get a victory.

They aren't due to lose.

They haven't been playing excellenty...but at the same time, they played well against the Canes.

They're at home.

Oh, and Ottawa is without Frankenchara (or is it Charastein?)

What do you guys think?

"They need each other. They've had their most success when they've been together," Ruff said. "There's things on that line that just keep on working."

Vanek scored the second goal against the Hurricanes with assists from Roy and Afinogenov. At least one of the three players has scored in six of the past nine games.

Other lines Thursday had Chris Drury with wingers Ales Kotalik and Mike Grier, Jiri Novotny in the middle of Daniel Briere and J.P. Dumont, and Paul Gaustad centering Taylor Pyatt and Jason Pominville.

I really like the sound of the lines tonight however The Roy, Max, Vanek lines still worries me in the defensive zone, as has been stated before by other, but they do sure play well together and have great speed.

Anyone else like the lines?

I really like the sound of the lines tonight however The Roy, Max, Vanek lines still worries me in the defensive zone, as has been stated before by other, but they do sure play well together and have great speed.

Anyone else like the lines?

I've gone on record as saying this line is a nightmare in it's own end. I have to believe they will be quickly broken up in the playoffs if they do not get it together from a defensive zone perspective.

I've gone on record as saying this line is a nightmare in it's own end. I have to believe they will be quickly broken up in the playoffs if they do not get it together from a defensive zone perspective.

I think it's almost like putting a forward on the point on the PP...the offensive reward is worth the defensive risk. Just don't put them on the ice with Campbell.

And I definately like Briere and Novotny playing together. They looked pretty good last game.

I agree that they are "exciting" in their own end, and not in a good way, but if Timmy and Jochen and the rest of the crew are healthy, I'd keep this line together and essentially use it as my 4th line come playoff time. They would still get a lot of pp time, but I would pick and choose their time on the ice at even strength to make sure they keep the excitement in the other team's end.

I like the other 3 lines too much to try weaving this line into the others. If the team isn't healthy, then I'd consider mixing and matching them.

Some early good news, that freak of a hockey player Chara will not play tomorrow. He's out with a busted hand.

I don't agree that this is a good break for the Sabres, pun intended. It's fortunate if you're just worried about getting the two points, but the points aren't the point right now. The point is to prove that you can beat Ottawa, but without Chara, Ottawa isn't Ottawa, if you know what I mean. Beating a Chara-less Senator team would almost take the lustre off of the win, make it less impressive. "Oh, sure, they beat Ottawa, but Ottawa didn't have Chara that night." Am I making any sense? Probably not.

I don't agree that this is a good break for the Sabres, pun intended. It's fortunate if you're just worried about getting the two points, but the points aren't the point right now. The point is to prove that you can beat Ottawa, but without Chara, Ottawa isn't Ottawa, if you know what I mean. Beating a Chara-less Senator team would almost take the lustre off of the win, make it less impressive. "Oh, sure, they beat Ottawa, but Ottawa didn't have Chara that night." Am I making any sense? Probably not.

Yeah, and how many times did Ottawa beat the Sabres when the Sabres weren't at full strength? It goes both ways.

True. I guess the best way to think about the Sabres-Senators situation is that in the biggest matchup of the season between the teams, Ottawa won, and handily. A win tonight by the Sabres doesn't erase that at all. That big meatball will be hanging around the Sabres' neck if the teams meet in the playoffs... unless, of course, the Sabres beat the Senators three times in a row coming up and steal the division title.

I like Frankenchara better than Charastein.

What is it that when I see this I have a mental picture of a QB with the #11 on his Jersey?

I guess the best way to think about the Sabres-Senators situation is that in the biggest matchup of the season between the teams, Ottawa won, and handily. A win tonight by the Sabres doesn't erase that at all. That big meatball will be hanging around the Sabres' neck if the teams meet in the playoffs... unless, of course, the Sabres beat the Senators three times in a row coming up and steal the division title.

Remember the previous "Game of the Year" against the Otters was one where a banged up (I believe Connelly, Hecht, and Brierre were out) Sabres beat Hasek on an that around the world move by Vanek.

The Sabres can play with Ottawa if they show up the first period instead of the third.

Yeah, but... that wasn't a game where both teams felt a desperate need to win the game. That game in Ottawa last Saturday was, in effect, a playoff game.

I don't know why I bother reading those wire service previews. From AP:

"The stumbling Buffalo Sabres have had plenty of trouble against the Ottawa Senators this season. Catching them for the Northwest Division title might be equally difficult."

Ah, yes, there's the rub. :: PASabreFan strokes his beard ::

If you're superstitious, I've noticed this year that when I haven't been able to see any of a Sabres game due to work, they always seem to win. Tonight I will see none of the game, and I won't see any of the Bruins game either.

Whoops, I forgot, I didn't see any of the Atlanta game, the 5-0 drubbing. But that was 'cause I took my kids swimming, so maybe that doesn't count!!

Senators 2, Sabres 0, half-hour before game time.

You know you're on a losing streak when that happens.

Looks like we pick up where we left off..... *sigh*

yes this is starting to get redundant... and stupid... the sens are good but not this good... we should be able to score goals on emery he's not THAT good... someone needs to run the goalie or do something to take some of that mass talent off of that team... that way we can see how well they'll do with mike morrisson leading them to the playoffs... god this is aggrivating.

OK, I'm finally watching. I had to order the regional Sports Pack to get MSG. I'm in the Sabres local area after all, which was why the game was blacked out on Center Ice the other night. A good break, actually, because now I get to see the Buffalo broadcast every night.

Yikes, someone please tell me this team is just a shell of the team that had everyone so excited. I am dismayed. As I suspected, the Sabres' problems might start in goal. Everyone seemed to think his showing in Ottawa ended Miller's slump, but I don't know. Besides the goals, there was a hard one-timer late in the period that just hit Miller, causing a huge rebound that luckily our D was able to clear. Rick said "huge save," but it really wasn't. I don't think Miller even saw it.

First-blush reaction: this is a defense that is going to get on my nerves, and a forward group that is way too cute for their own good. One of the best scoring chances of the period came when Pyatt just threw the puck to the net from a bad angle and it almost went in off Pominville. We need more ugly goals.

I really hated how this team came out storming, then was so easily deflated by a couple of goals and a Sens' power play. Really reminded me of some of my least favorite Sabre teams of the past.

Someone reassure me. Now. :)

First-blush reaction: this is a defense that is going to get on my nerves, and a forward group that is way too cute for their own good.

There have been several "too cute" plays over recent games. Some are ok, understandable, etc... but the one that just kills me, and has happened MANY times lately, is the passing of the puck when you have a shot from the mid-slot.

Tallinder did it tonite. You're sitting dead in the slot, no bodies blocking in front of you, and you pass off to a corner. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT??????

If you've got the shot, TAKE IT.

Now on a good note. We're in decent shape going into the third. If they play this third like all their others, we'll be a happy group tonite.