NHL On OLN

PTS

My Article - The NHL On OLN...

First and foremost, it has to be mentioned that hockey was NEVER a priority on ESPN. They would push hockey highlights to the final minutes of SportsCenter. NHL2Night, a great show, had to be aired past midnight on most nights.

Comcast is trying to start a competitor station against ESPN. They chose OLN and they are already positioning it with "We've Got A New Attitude."

Besides hockey, they are trying to nab the Thursday Night and Saturday Night NFL games package that is still unsold. My guess is they'll go after TNT's NBA package as well.

ESPN has controlled cable and satellite for far to long. Their ENORMOUS programming-access fees are passed on right to you and me, the viewers. They felt hockey wasn't a major sport while Comcast sees it's potential.

I'm sure in the coming months, Comcast will make OLN available at all basic packages for cable and satellite outlets.

This is a good thing, not only for hockey fans, but for all sports fans.

This is great news for NHL fans and the leauge.

I live in Canada and get OLN as part of my tv subscription, therefore, I'll get 2 games per week from out of town markets. I like that.

Secondly, Comcast is actually into hockey and will treat it right. They were progressive and saw the potential the NHL now has, instead of trying to hose the league like ESPN did with their final offer.

On a side note, attended the team Canada practice yesterday. Wow. Row 1 and man can these guys play. Fast, skilled, precise passing. Great to see the best of our Country up close like that. A treat for me and my 6 year old! Just wish Danny Briere had an invite.

ESPN never gave hockey the attention it deserved, especially after it started broadcasting NBA games, SO GOOD RIDDANCE... I'm happy OLN/Comcast and NBC have broadcast rights..BUT, Comcast better not use this as leverage with the providers to screw the subscribers --- I currently pay $60+ per month for Dish, and OLN is not part of my package -- I'd have to upgrade and pay over $70/month to get OLN as it currently stands.

Adelphia is no better, with OLN only available as part of their digital plus package. Not sure what to do at this point..still don't know if MSG Sabres games will be on Dish, but it doesn't make sense to switch to Adelphia either...can anyone confirm if CBC is available on cable ? If I could watch Don Cherry, then it may be worth it...

Actually, I heard that the OLN in the states is different then the one in Canada, They are owned by different companies and the Canadian OLN will not have the NHL. Not completely sure, but this is what I've heard.

Good riddence to ESPN and hockey is right. Now, I don't have to hear Bill Clement and Gary Thorne overemphasize everything about the game that real fans already know. Goodbye Daren Pang too. I couldn't stand that guy. I am real happy that ESPN is out of hockey now. Hell, they would show about 1 minute of highlights during the playoffs, then go right into 20 minutes of freakin baseball spring training. How some pitcher has a hangnail and is on the DL for 20 days. Absolutly sickening.

I'm getting the CENTER ICE Package no matter what, but hopefully this will bring a new light to the game we love so much. Hockey IS a top 4 sport, I don't care what you NASCAR fags have to say!! :P

ESPN never gave hockey the attention it deserved, especially after it started broadcasting NBA games, SO GOOD RIDDANCE... I'm happy OLN/Comcast and NBC have broadcast rights..BUT, Comcast better not use this as leverage with the providers to screw the subscribers --- I currently pay $60+ per month for Dish, and OLN is not part of my package -- I'd have to upgrade and pay over $70/month to get OLN as it currently stands.

Adelphia is no better, with OLN only available as part of their digital plus package. Not sure what to do at this point..still don't know if MSG Sabres games will be on Dish, but it doesn't make sense to switch to Adelphia either...can anyone confirm if CBC is available on cable ? If I could watch Don Cherry, then it may be worth it...

Yeah but it's okay that Direct TV has an exclusive package with the NFL?

In terms of Adelphia and OLN. The digital plus pack only costs $10/month ala cart or is prepackaged with the Gold and Ultimate packages. In terms of CBC and Adelphia, I'm pretty sure it's on the lower end cable (ie no digital at all) in all WNY markets.

I live in Canada and get OLN as part of my tv subscription, therefore, I'll get 2 games per week from out of town markets. I like that.

No. OLN Canada will not broadcast NHL games, because the NHL already has a broadcast deal with TSN in Canda.

However, you will be able to get all of OLN's NHL-related "shoulder programming." Eg., if they show classic games, or if they have an NHL2Night-style program.

OLN will also be broadcasting 2 games per night online, and you should be able to get those.

Does anyone know yet how this will affect the NHL Center Ice package? I am specifically concerned with the DirecTV version, but any info would be appreciated. Also, I've seen where the NHL network will be available on cable. Does anyone know if it will also be available to DirecTV and Dish network?

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

All I know so far is that in Las Vegas, I'm getting OLN as part of the regular expanded digital cable right now (Channel 73 for those in the area; COX Communications).

This is not enough for me though, as I will definitely order NHL Center Ice. I also want to get NHL Network but I'm not sure how they are gonna do this. Are they just going to run it on OLN or are they gonna dedicate a whole new channel for it. Either way, this is awesome.

Sorry I don't have many answers however. I don't have satelite just digital cable.

Archived