2012 draft pick

Huckleberry

Thanks TrueBlue. I heard he had the ACL injury and that him, Yakupov, and Gregorenko with all blue chip prospects, but that's as far as I really know much else about any of them or the other guys slated to go top 5-10.

Where's the biggest drop off in talent? Is Yakupov head and shoulders above the rest or is it more balanced? How do you guys feel Faksa and Girgensons match up compared to Gregorenko and Galchenyuk? If we go on somewhat of a run and end up drafting at 8 or 9 would it be wise to package some picks or prospects to move up?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks TrueBlue. I heard he had the ACL injury and that him, Yakupov, and Gregorenko with all blue chip prospects, but that's as far as I really know much else about any of them or the other guys slated to go top 5-10.

Where's the biggest drop off in talent? Is Yakupov head and shoulders above the rest or is it more balanced? How do you guys feel Faksa and Girgensons match up compared to Gregorenko and Galchenyuk? If we go on somewhat of a run and end up drafting at 8 or 9 would it be wise to package some picks or prospects to move up?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=615482

I like Faksa but his potential and abilities are less known than Grigorenko or even Galchenyuk. Faksa from what I have read seems like a hard working. He is exactly the type of player this team needs but whether he projects out to top line center I am unsure. If Yakupov and Grigorenko are gone I would be excited to get Faska.

"I think the transition that Radek has made has been a little bit easier for him," Spott said. "I think, like Gabriel, he plays a North American style of game. He's physical and willing to go into the dirty areas to score. Defensively, he has a real good battle level, so I think that's why he's been able to make this transition rather smoothly."

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=615482

I like Faksa but his potential and abilities are less known than Grigorenko or even Galchenyuk. Faksa from what I have read seems like a hard working. He is exactly the type of player this team needs but whether he projects out to top line center I am unsure. If Yakupov and Grigorenko are gone I would be excited to get Faska.

"I think the transition that Radek has made has been a little bit easier for him," Spott said. "I think, like Gabriel, he plays a North American style of game. He's physical and willing to go into the dirty areas to score. Defensively, he has a real good battle level, so I think that's why he's been able to make this transition rather smoothly."

He seems promising. I'm really hoping we draft a center with what should be a good draft pick, even if the guy is a year or two away from playing in the blue and gold. I also like the idea of dumping as many pending UFA's and unwanteds as possible to stock up on draft picks if we can't move them for center prospects so we can begin to build a pool of young centers and hope at least a few of them pan out.

He seems promising. I'm really hoping we draft a center with what should be a good draft pick, even if the guy is a year or two away from playing in the blue and gold. I also like the idea of dumping as many pending UFA's and unwanteds as possible to stock up on draft picks if we can't move them for center prospects so we can begin to build a pool of young centers and hope at least a few of them pan out.

If Moore is worth a 2nd I would think Roy would fetch a 1st... It would be great to have 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders

As for Faska, he seems like a hard worker and I'd wait 2 years for him.

If Moore is worth a 2nd I would think Roy would fetch a 1st... It would be great to have 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders

I'd take a 1st for Roy in a heart beat. I'd also dump Boyes, Stafford, Roy, Gaustad, and Gragnani for picks as well and kick the tires of the GM's around the league to evaluate offers for Leopold and Sekera. I'd be ok with moving guys like Ellis, McCormick, etc. although I don't they'd bring much value so it would probably be better to hold on to them. I'd love to draft 5 or more centers and hope that we could hit on at least 3 to restock the talent pool at that position.

what would ppl say to this lineup in 2 years (2013-2014season)

Vanek - Ennis - Armia/Kassian

Leino - Faksa - Pommers

Gerbe - Catenacci - Armia/Kassian

Foligno - Adam - Kaleta

McCormick

Myers-McNabb

Weber-Sekera

Ehrhoff-Regehr(he resigns for 2 years)

Brennan

Now that lineup is dependent on a great many things but it is a lineup that is young, determined and completely different from what we have now. All it takes is a GM with the balls to take some risks... Just a thought as I sit hear watching hockey.

Let's suck for two years at least though, now that we finally do :) I liked watching this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1031507-2012-nhl-mock-draft-predicting-all-30-first-round-selections/page/6#/articles/1066101-25-prospects-ready-to-be-the-next-sidney-crosby/page/4

Brenden Gaunce (11) is a big Center with lots of accolades, and then in 2013 we get this Curtis Lazar kid (23).

We need a top 3 pick regardless

here are the FORWARDS picked in the top 3 for the past 11 years (2000-2011)

2000- Dany Heatley and Marion Gaborik

2001- Jason Spezza and Alexander Svitov

2002- Rick Nash

2003- Eric Staal and Nathan Horton

2004- Alex Ovechkin

2005- Sidney Crosby and Bobby Ryan

2006- Jordan Staal

2007- Patrick Kane, James van Riemsdyk, and Kyle Turris

2008- Steven Stamkos

2009- John Tavares and Matt Duchene

2010- Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin

2011- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Gabriel Landeskog, and Jonathen Huberdeau

None of these players are Sabres... I'm sure that you would take any player on the list if it were possible. (minus Svitov)

Why not get a player of this calibur from the draft! its simple stuff.

I'm hoping next week I can run through the available UFA's for next year and evaluate some. Idk if we can land a big top 3 center but you never know what lurks, aka Briere.

What? The Sabres are going to go after Briere so they have someone that can play with Leino?

What? The Sabres are going to go after Briere so they have someone that can play with Leino?

Pretty sure she's referring to the trade that brought him here. He wasn't a great player but became one.

Not sure if this answer was necessary, or you were using sarcasm...

Yup

The top 4 picks, regardless of who is picking, will go 2 Russian forwards and the 2 d-men. Murphy and Dumba. Forsberg or another d-men will probably go 5. The order of the top 4 is unclear. Yak is the favorite. I don't see Edmonton picking another forward with two stud d-men available. Maybe even Columbus takes a defensmen? If the two Russians are picked with the first two picks, and Sabres pick at 3 or 4, no doubt they will go with a d-men. The cieling is just too high on those two players to pass up. They'll have to pick him and figure out what to do with Pysyk, Leduc, McNabb or Myers at a later time.

I realize Sabres need a forward, they no way can you draft a project forward or a guy who missed this entire season and pass up a d-men like Murphy who is compared by some (i think Criag Button) to be the next Ray Bourque or Dumba, is NHL ready, hits, is a leader, and the most offensive d-men in this draft. Compared to Dion Phanuef.

The top 4 picks, regardless of who is picking, will go 2 Russian forwards and the 2 d-men. Murphy and Dumba. Forsberg or another d-men will probably go 5. The order of the top 4 is unclear. Yak is the favorite. I don't see Edmonton picking another forward with two stud d-men available. Maybe even Columbus takes a defensmen? If the two Russians are picked with the first two picks, and Sabres pick at 3 or 4, no doubt they will go with a d-men. The cieling is just too high on those two players to pass up. They'll have to pick him and figure out what to do with Pysyk, Leduc, McNabb or Myers at a later time.

I realize Sabres need a forward, they no way can you draft a project forward or a guy who missed this entire season and pass up a d-men like Murphy who is compared by some (i think Criag Button) to be the next Ray Bourque or Dumba, is NHL ready, hits, is a leader, and the most offensive d-men in this draft. Compared to Dion Phanuef.

I submit that they would draft Galchenyuk over the defensemen. If he didn't get hurt he would have been in the same sentence as Yakupov and Grigorenko. Yes we'd have to wait for him another year while he regains form, but the guy is a stud, and worth passing up on the Dmen for.

I submit that they would draft Galchenyuk over the defensemen. If he didn't get hurt he would have been in the same sentence as Yakupov and Grigorenko. Yes we'd have to wait for him another year while he regains form, but the guy is a stud, and worth passing up on the Dmen for.

You're right, but it wouldn't worry you he had a major injury at such a young age? My concern wouldn't really be that he lost 1 year of development, it would be one more injury to this guy and he'd be done for. Because missing 1 year at age 17 is bad enough, missing 2 full seasons within a 4-5 year stretch, would be killer to this guy.

You're right, but it wouldn't worry you he had a major injury at such a young age? My concern wouldn't really be that he lost 1 year of development, it would be one more injury to this guy and he'd be done for. Because missing 1 year at age 17 is bad enough, missing 2 full seasons within a 4-5 year stretch, would be killer to this guy.

I wouldn't ignore the injury issue, but it's a torn ACL, which are practically routine nowadays to come back from. Has there been a player in recent memory, in any sport, that has failed to come back from an ACL? It's also a far less common injury in hockey than in football, so I think the risk of re-injury is no higher than initial injury for any other player. I know it's a serious injury so I don't want to make it sound like I think it's nothing, but by the draft the teams should have solid information on his recovery and as long as everything checks out, I don't think I'd let it dissuade me.

Off topic here, but does anyone know how Pysyk has been progressing? I haven't heard too much about him recently. Is he still projected to be first-round defenseman like when the Sabres drafted him?

Archived