Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

Raleigh area. I’m only aware of two rinks and they’re pretty scattered. 

I played at Polar Ice a few times (not in Cary) and once at PNC. I could have sworn there was 3 public rinks in the triangle area though. Where are they building now? 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LTS said:

Let him have the Border Collie brains the the Pyrenees size.... well perhaps not ALL the size. 🙂

Congrats on the doggo. I love dogs..

I cannot imagine a dog with Border Collie smarts and Pyrenees size.  If it had opposable thumbs humanity might be doomed.

• Haha (+1) 3

On 11/1/2022 at 5:48 PM, LTS said:

Let him have the Border Collie brains the the Pyrenees size.... well perhaps not ALL the size. 🙂

Had our first vet appointment today. He is at 14.2 pounds and the vet did note he is slightly underweight for his frame. He was 11.6lbs on Saturday when I weighed him. Per the vet, he will likely come in around 80-85lbs fully grown based on his current weight and age, but she said we won't really have a good estimate (because he's a mix and will have a less predictable growth pattern than a purebred plus he appears to be slightly underweight) until he's 4-6 months old. She won't be surprised if he ends up breaking 100lbs or, conversely, slides in closer to 70. So it's a pretty big range, but he will be a big boy either way.

On the subject of brains, he learned the clicker means a treat in fewer clicks than it took my Belgian Malinois which shocked me and he's learned to sit already--just working on repetitions with him on that for now. So that part of the Border Collie is coming through.

Trying to teach him "come" has been fun though as he has learned the command, but you can only get maybe 4 or 5 repetitions in before he's decided he doesn't really feel like walking anymore and the stick/toy/rock/bare concrete at his feet looks interesting. Then he plops down and ignores the clicker. So that bit is certainly the Pyr coming through.

1 hour ago, RochesterExpat said:

Had our first vet appointment today. He is at 14.2 pounds and the vet did note he is slightly underweight for his frame. He was 11.6lbs on Saturday when I weighed him. Per the vet, he will likely come in around 80-85lbs fully grown based on his current weight and age, but she said we won't really have a good estimate (because he's a mix and will have a less predictable growth pattern than a purebred plus he appears to be slightly underweight) until he's 4-6 months old. She won't be surprised if he ends up breaking 100lbs or, conversely, slides in closer to 70. So it's a pretty big range, but he will be a big boy either way.

On the subject of brains, he learned the clicker means a treat in fewer clicks than it took my Belgian Malinois which shocked me and he's learned to sit already--just working on repetitions with him on that for now. So that part of the Border Collie is coming through.

Trying to teach him "come" has been fun though as he has learned the command, but you can only get maybe 4 or 5 repetitions in before he's decided he doesn't really feel like walking anymore and the stick/toy/rock/bare concrete at his feet looks interesting. Then he plops down and ignores the clicker. So that bit is certainly the Pyr coming through.

That dog is gonna have a serious herding/ protecting instinct.  Be careful.

22 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Awesome.  Dog behavior fascinates me. My two dogs entertain me to no end with their personalities. Yours sounds like it will be an absolute treat! 🙂

On 11/3/2022 at 4:57 PM, RochesterExpat said:

My Shiba Inu's laughed at the clicker. Rotties, Boston Terriers, no problem with it. Sit, stay, come, heel, no problem. These two Shiba's though...might as well be wolves. They do as they like. It's quite funny.

1 minute ago, ubkev said:

My Shiba Inu's laughed at the clicker. Rotties, Boston Terriers, no problem with it. Sit, stay, come, heel, no problem. These two Shiba's though...might as well be wolves. They do as they like. It's quite funny.

Shibas don't give a f***. I bet their genes show up pretty early in the evolution of dogs,… If you believe in that sort of thing.😂

19 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I have two Irish setters. One is extremely intelligent, the other is very dumb. One is excited and  playful with other dogs, the other is timid and hides behind me. One will sprawl across my body on the couch for hours, the other doesn't like to cuddle at all. Bought both of them at eight weeks old. Same breed, same environment, very different dogs with very different personalities. Oh, one is male and one is female. I have absolutely no idea if that's a factor, I've had an Irish Setter for over forty years but this is my first female. 

Also, what is a clicker?

Edited by Hank

13 hours ago, Hank said:

I have two Irish setters. One is extremely intelligent, the other is very dumb. One is excited and  playful with other dogs, the other is timid and hides behind me. One will sprawl across my body on the couch for hours, the other doesn't like to cuddle at all. Bought both of them at eight weeks old. Same breed, same environment, very different dogs with very different personalities. Oh, one is male and one is female. I have absolutely no idea if that's a factor, I've had an Irish Setter for over forty years but this is my first female. 

Also, what is a clicker?

Clicker is just a 2"x1/2" little rectangular box with a button in the middle that make a distinctive clicking sound when pushed. 

25 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Clicker is just a 2"x1/2" little rectangular box with a button in the middle that make a distinctive clicking sound when pushed. 

To expand, it is used in clicker training. It starts with associating the click with getting a small treat. Once the dog understands that, it is used to mark wanted behavior. Coax the dog into a sitting position with a hand signal, once they sit you click to mark the behavior and reward with a treat.

11 hours ago, ubkev said:

10 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

To expand, it is used in clicker training. It starts with associating the click with getting a small treat. Once the dog understands that, it is used to mark wanted behavior. Coax the dog into a sitting position with a hand signal, once they sit you click to mark the behavior and reward with a treat.

Thank you gentlemen. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

They always linger for a while.  It just means you get a second bonfire.

I'm getting a feeling of deja post. I think we had this same discussion once. No in my area the signs of one particular candidate haven't come down in six years! With some other lovely expressions of "support."