Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Was negotiating for the past 10 days with 2 employers.  Just accepted a job offer.  It is work that I have absolutely loved doing in the past, with a really neat technology that is up and coming, the work will be challenging in all kinds of good ways, work from home to a good extent, very generous paid time off policy, fantastic pay check, very competitive benefits, and I'll be working relatively autonomously.

I start Oct. 4.  My boss is not going to be happy tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

Was negotiating for the past 10 days with 2 employers.  Just accepted a job offer.  It is work that I have absolutely loved doing in the past, with a really neat technology that is up and coming, the work will be challenging in all kinds of good ways, work from home to a good extent, very generous paid time off policy, fantastic pay check, very competitive benefits, and I'll be working relatively autonomously.

"Sounds" like things will turn the corner for you this October.  Which is awesome.

Hopefully the Sabres START going around the corner then as well.  Not banking on it, but hoping.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

"Sounds" like things will turn the corner for you this October.  Which is awesome.

Hopefully the Sabres START going around the corner then as well.  Not banking on it, but hoping.

I was in a very good situation currently.  I don't particularly like what I am doing, but they treat me very well to do it.  I have nothing to complain about.  No need to turn a corner.  But the opportunity I accepted has all of the positives of my current position, PLUS it is something I really enjoy, AND I don't have to commute 1hr and 20 minutes to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

In Sedona for our one zero wedding anniversary.  Pumped to see what this place has to offer.  

Congrats to you both!!

I hope that at some point on the trip you both are indabuff.  I would hope that after only 10 years that's still a thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just spent the most delightful 2 hours out in the sea in a lake kayak with a good friend and neighbour.

What an awesome outing.  My first time.  Won't be my last.  Most out here have sea kayaks, but I am not going out very far initially and we shall see what happens.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/13/2021 at 7:23 PM, Weave said:

Just reading.  Congrats!  How’s it going so far?

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Curt said:

Just reading.  Congrats!  How’s it going so far?

So far I am happy.  The autonomy is proving to be true.  The technology is very interesting and challenging in all the right ways. And I enjoy the culture so far.  No complaints and no regrets.

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/15/2021 at 7:24 PM, Weave said:

So far I am happy.  The autonomy is proving to be true.  The technology is very interesting and challenging in all the right ways. And I enjoy the culture so far.  No complaints and no regrets.

Very cool.  I’m enjoying my 6th month of retirement.  I just did sign on to do a consulting work for a former major supplier.  Will start in November, mostly work from home.   Trying to keep my projects with them to 50-75 hrs per month.  

Maybe I should just stay fully retired?  Oh well, looks like another adventure.  

Learned how to change pads + rotors yesterday. Not a handy man at all but my buddy showed me and I got to make sure the lady's vehicle isn't a death machine. Working with your hands is fun; if I can do them nobody should be taking them into a shop, it's a ripoff.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Learned how to change pads + rotors yesterday. Not a handy man at all but my buddy showed me and I got to make sure the lady's vehicle isn't a death machine. Working with your hands is fun; if I can do them nobody should be taking them into a shop, it's a ripoff.

Thanks, Charlie.

I changed the spark plugs on the Legend.  It is a good feeling.

+++++

In other awesome news ... kayaking is very fun.  Went out for the second time at sunrise today.  I love it, but am feeling it a bit in my arms.  Out for about 2 hours.  Pretty stiff wind on the return.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Thanks, Charlie.

+++++

In other awesome news ... kayaking is very fun.  Went out for the second time at sunrise today.  I love it, but am feeling it a bit in my arms.  Out for about 2 hours.  Pretty stiff wind on the return.

Thanks, NS.

Coincidentally I will agree with you as well, kayaking is a lot of fun. It's a great feeling to get out on the water like that, and it's a great workout. I like river/stream kayaking more, but lakes are good too.

Just now, WildCard said:

Thanks, NS.

Coincidentally I will agree with you as well, kayaking is a lot of fun. It's a great feeling to get out on the water like that, and it's a great workout. I like river/stream kayaking more, but lakes are good too.

My friend and I use lake kayaks in the Atlantic.  Why find a lake somewhere when the ocean is, indeed, your playground.  Walk out the door and in a few feet walk we are on the wharf and then out to sea.  Can't be beat.  

Most here use sea kayaks out in the ocean, but those are for sissies (can I say that?).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

My friend and I use lake kayaks in the Atlantic.  Why find a lake somewhere when the ocean is, indeed, your playground.  Walk out the door and in a few feet walk we are on the wharf and then out to sea.  Can't be beat.  

Most here use sea kayaks out in the ocean, but those are for sissies (can I say that?).

Had no idea there was a difference to be honest, just looking at that now pretty cool. I've never kayaked in the ocean, closest I've gotten to that is a tourist excursion in the Caribbean's but that doesn't count lol. Atlantic sounds really cool.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Had no idea there was a difference to be honest, just looking at that now pretty cool. I've never kayaked in the ocean, closest I've gotten to that is a tourist excursion in the Caribbean's but that doesn't count lol. Atlantic sounds really cool.

It is very cool.

To be clear we are not talking open ocean here.  That would be crazy in anything smaller than the Titanic.

Nice sheltered bay, but lots of islands and inlets to explore.  Lots of birds and seals.  A shark, or two, are not uncommon.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Thanks, Charlie.

+++++

What did we tell you about the breakfast burritos?

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I moved up to a sailboat this year and loved it! On a lake though! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...