Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

8 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

I'm just messing with you bud.

I'm out of vacation time until 2019 as well, so I think i'm in the same boat.

Do you accrue your vacation time on your hire date? My last employer did that. I wasn't particular nuts about it. We got all our days for the year at once and we had to use them by that date or lose them. Currently I earn about 4.3 hours per week, and I like this method much better. 

11 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Do you accrue your vacation time on your hire date? My last employer did that. I wasn't particular nuts about it. We got all our days for the year at once and we had to use them by that date or lose them. Currently I earn about 4.3 hours per week, and I like this method much better. 

I like that method much better as well - my old employer did that. My current employer gives 4 weeks of "use it or lose it" PTO per year that doesn't carry over past the calendar year.

13 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

I like that method much better as well - my old employer did that. My current employer gives 4 weeks of "use it or lose it" PTO per year that doesn't carry over past the calendar year.

Same. We have a certain amount of vacation days and then personal/sick days- use however you want as PTO. But it doesn't roll over. So I guess everyone just takes the last week of December off, mostly. My sister's company lets you keep it- girl had accrued a month or two of PTO which came in handy when she had to go through a nasty surgery last year. I get why they don't, but I wish my place let you do that too. 

Then there's folks like my friend from high school- she's a PhD in biochemical engineering or something and works down in New Orleans. 2 weeks on an oil rig, 2 weeks off, one of which is usually PTO. Very handsome pay. But being the only woman on an oil rig in the middle of the gulf in a high hazard/high stakes environment and facing the occasional bout of awful weather... you'd better pay a lot. She also travels quite a bit, but usually takes that week to just recuperate/take care of home stuff. 

59 minutes ago, josie said:

Single, doctor, traveling light... pretty good combo. 

Consider, too, the fact that when he's working, Woody basically works, sleeps, and that's it.  From my experience with a similar schedule years and years ago, it's pretty easy to save money that way!

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Consider, too, the fact that when he's working, Woody basically works, sleeps, and that's it.  From my experience with a similar schedule years and years ago, it's pretty easy to save money that way!

Yeah. I've almost filled in the hole I had to dig last year. About 8 months of full time work, with a couple side gigs. Feels ok until I think about how it really doesn't help much in terms of actual life milestones (house, wedding, kids, all that stuff-yeah, never gonna happen). I do tend to hoard my money like a grumpy old dragon hoarding a gold pile though. 

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Or you waste all your money on the drugs needed to keep you awake all that time.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Woody does not appear to be able to grow a decent beard, though, so there is that.  If he could I would have to thumb wrastle you to date him.  True story.

No offense to Woody, but I'm all set in the man department. Beard included. And neither here nor there but I can out thumb wrastle dark any day. I've get them flexible piano playin' hands. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bascially eleven is right, I work a lot of 12-16 hour days and I do them fairly consecutively, in the last 2 weeks, I've put in near 200 hours, I have the potential to earn more, but I do well enough now and don't want to work my youth away just to show some money when I'm older. In fact, if I had a family, even a wife, my living circumstances would be much different. I just don't think that life is for me 

1 hour ago, josie said:

No offense to Woody, but I'm all set in the man department. Beard included. And neither here nor there but I can out thumb wrastle dark any day. I've get them flexible piano playin' hands. 

Haha I'm offended, and here I thought we'd get married and just tell d4rk afterwards ???

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Woody does not appear to be able to grow a decent beard, though, so there is that.  If he could I would have to thumb wrastle you to date him.  True story.

Haha it's true my beard sucks, damn genetics 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

After having just taken 2 1/2 weeks in Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Greece and Malta I will say that your trip sounds ###### amazing. I have found that the second I got back to the states (well Canada first) I was already thinking about when I could go back to Europe for more. I think the next time we want to check out northern Europe (Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands, etc.) so I would love to buy you a beer when we get back and swap travel stories. As a single guy traveling i'm sure yours will be far more interesting...

Id love to hear all about it, I'm sure going with family also brings about its own stories. I'll try to update a little from my locations while I'm away, but yes when we're both in town we should meet up and chat about adventures! 

7 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

but I do well enough now and don't want to work my youth away just to show some money when I'm older. In fact,

Don't blink my friend you'll be older faster than you think!!   ? ? Here's to you thinking it's a long way away!!!

12 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Id love to hear all about it, I'm sure going with family also brings about its own stories. I'll try to update a little from my locations while I'm away, but yes when we're both in town we should meet up and chat about adventures! 

You got it - happy travels Woody!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

So I have finally hit all the lower 48 with my kids... Alaska and Hawaii still left but really interested in exploring Europe after that especially Croatia... I was adopted and discovered I am about 20% Croate

• Like (+1) 1

Screw getting old I am Pan... still playing hockey at 54, hiking, biking, skiing, canoeing, camping and white water rafting... not caving though anymore lost touch with that crowd...and I no longer sleep on rocks.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

So I have finally hit all the lower 48 with my kids... Alaska and Hawaii still left but really interested in exploring Europe after that especially Croatia... I was adopted and discovered I am about 20% Croate

Hopefully, that 20% is good Croat and not the bad.

On 11/12/2018 at 2:26 PM, josie said:

Aw man that's so rough- murphy's law was in full effect. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

So good news- my dad did just get referred to Cleveland Clinic this morning. So now we just gotta get all the files sorted out and they find an opening and get this ball rolling. 

Thanks and glad to hear your news. Wish you and your family the best and hope everything goes well.

• Like (+1) 2