Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

So one of my closest friends (and as you get older, these sadly become fewer in number) had heart surgery yesterday -- aortic valve replacement.  He's in his early 50s, and while the state of our medical science has fortunately advanced to the point where this is a reasonably common and usually successful operation, it's still a freaking operation on his heart in which the chest is opened and the heart is stopped for a few hours while the valve for the most important blood vessel in the body is replaced.  So I was kinda worried.  Then I heard from his wife this afternoon that all is good.  So I'm grateful.

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I rode 25+ miles today.  That was pretty awesome, as I have not ridden much this year.

I've been thinking about getting a bike in the next year or so. I borrow a friend of mine's for our remote ride of roswell last year. He had a real nice road bike that he used for triathlons and riding on that thing was effortless. Do you have any recommendations for a beginner? I'm looking into buying a house and many of them are close to our local greenway and I'd like to take advantage of that. 

16 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I've been thinking about getting a bike in the next year or so. I borrow a friend of mine's for our remote ride of roswell last year. He had a real nice road bike that he used for triathlons and riding on that thing was effortless. Do you have any recommendations for a beginner? I'm looking into buying a house and many of them are close to our local greenway and I'd like to take advantage of that. 

Pretty soon, there will be a sh!t ton of people who come to the realization that they don't actually like what they've been killing time with the past year. With the end of Covid in sight, I plan on taking advantage of the flood of cheap recreational equipment for sale (bikes, ATVs, boats, snow machines, campers, etc...), by people who never should have owned it in the first place.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Pretty soon, there will be a sh!t ton of people who come to the realization that they don't actually like what they've been killing time with the past year. With the end of Covid in sight, I plan on taking advantage of the flood of cheap recreational equipment for sale (bikes, ATVs, boats, snow machines, campers, etc...), by people who never should have owned it in the first place.

I am hoping to be able to do the same with a rower, but I wouldn't even know where to start on a bike. I'm telling you, that thing was effortless! I'm just looking for the tiniest bit of exercise from it, mostly want the fresh air and moving around without the work of all of the bikes I had growing up. I never thought of trying to snag some camping gear on the cheap from the folks you mentioned. I can always use a new pack, and tent, and cooking gear, and sleeping bag and....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Bikes are currently more valuable than bitcoin.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

I just sold my kayak yesterday.  (I'm upgrading today).  Guy that bought it said he tried to buy a used kayak all last Summer and couldn't because they were selling within minutes of being listed.  I posted mine for sale yesterday AM, got in the shower, and came out with a message that he wanted to come look at it.  It was out of my garage and down the road within 2hrs of my post.

I felt like I was being greedy offering it for sale $50 less than I originally paid for it and I would have negotiated, but he snapped it up immediately with no negotiation.  Apparently I could have sold it for more than I paid for it.  It's got to be the Covids. 

Awesome for me is I am picking up a badass fishing kayak today.  It is something I should feel comfortable putting in Erie or Ontario and going for a long troll.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I just sold my kayak yesterday.  (I'm upgrading today).  Guy that bought it said he tried to buy a used kayak all last Summer and couldn't because they were selling within minutes of being listed.  I posted mine for sale yesterday AM, got in the shower, and came out with a message that he wanted to come look at it.  It was out of my garage and down the road within 2hrs of my post.

I felt like I was being greedy offering it for sale $50 less than I originally paid for it and I would have negotiated, but he snapped it up immediately with no negotiation.  Apparently I could have sold it for more than I paid for it.  It's got to be the Covids. 

Awesome for me is I am picking up a badass fishing kayak today.  It is something I should feel comfortable putting in Erie or Ontario and going for a long troll.

I just bought a new one a few weeks ago. We end up in the intercoastal a good bit and needed something that could handle it a little better. Took it like a champ the first time out. 

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Now that is awesome.

I know two people that sold their dirt bikes for twice what they paid for them. They both plan on picking up and upgrade for cheaper when there is a glut in the fall.

I'm dropping one of my bikes off at the shop today. If I'm lucky I'll get it back before Easter. But to be honest, I'm expecting mid-April. 

New wheels, new cassette, new cranks, new brakes and a partridge in a pear tree.

It's too cold to ride in April anyway 

12 hours ago, #freejame said:

I'm the worst person to ask for a recommendation.  The bike I rode yesterday I literally pulled out of a dumpster, then heavily modified it with parts from a swap meet.

gDtAXljwvn8UOcch4lKfXjyXhfKuYVA_JBR2x0_7

However, an entry level hybrid, fixed fork, is probably a good place to start.  Make sure you get a size appropriate to your height.

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Now that is awesome.

I know two people that sold their dirt bikes for twice what they paid for them. They both plan on picking up and upgrade for cheaper when there is a glut in the fall.

Not so awesome update....

Apparently the covids and the relief checks have been putting a serious hurt on the kayak manufacturers and retailers.  They had very little in stock and a ton of people looking to talk to a sales person.  I had to put my name on a list and put down a deposit with no promises regarding delivery.  Their expected shipment is weeks overdue with no word from the manufacturer as to when they might ship.  No choice in color as the manufacturers are shipping whatever they have on hand and they are getting made with no concern regarding color.  Word is most are showing up olive drab, which isn't the worst thing in the world.  I guess plastic supply is an issue too.

Hopefully this doesn't run into the opener for walleyes.  It will affect early crappie season though.

17 hours ago, Weave said:

Not so awesome update....

Apparently the covids and the relief checks have been putting a serious hurt on the kayak manufacturers and retailers.  They had very little in stock and a ton of people looking to talk to a sales person.  I had to put my name on a list and put down a deposit with no promises regarding delivery.  Their expected shipment is weeks overdue with no word from the manufacturer as to when they might ship.  No choice in color as the manufacturers are shipping whatever they have on hand and they are getting made with no concern regarding color.  Word is most are showing up olive drab, which isn't the worst thing in the world.  I guess plastic supply is an issue too.

Hopefully this doesn't run into the opener for walleyes.  It will affect early crappie season though.

The same thing is happening in the bike world. I dropped my bike off at the shop yesterday and they had exactly one bike for sale. The showroom floor is completely empty of inventory. However the repair rack had at least 35 bikes on it. Shops are buying bikes from other shops at full retail right now. I'd say it's crazy, but it's exactly the same as last summer.

9 hours ago, ubkev said:

The same thing is happening in the bike world. I dropped my bike off at the shop yesterday and they had exactly one bike for sale.

A local chain of three shops sold out to Trek recently, as the owner has health issues and wanted to cash out.  They had trouble getting bicycles prior to that, but as soon as the Trek name was over the door they received over 200 bicycles.

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

My brother just won a Grammy!!!!

He was the engineer on Porgy and Bess.

He had a chance to win 2.

F’N Awesome!!!!

That is awsome. I gotta say so far the Grammys are far more entertaining compared to previous years. I like the small audience of peers and outdoor awards