Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

21 minutes ago, LTS said:

Considered... there are a couple of issues I am considering with a monopod.  I've used them in the past and the one I have won't work for this lens.  They are outstanding for landscape and similar photography where the subject matter doesn't move much.  My concern with a monopod and birds or things that move a lot is that you have to keep one hand on the monopod as a point of stabilization.  So you have one hand for the camera and that's a big lens to be moving around using just the camera to steer it.  For smaller lenses I definitely think monopod.

And the other aspect of this is.. I will be shooting video, so having a monopod doesn't totally eliminate the shake or give me a total level of control.

Currently I plan on getting a gimbal head for my tripod.  I'm big enough to be able to haul it around okay right now I think.  My monopod will still work for my smaller lenses, but it can't hold the weight of the 200-600.

I have motorized gimbal (DJI Ronin-S).  It could actually work with the 200-600, but that's not something you bring around on the trail with you and I use that exclusively for other video work where I can control the camera movements from a game controller or I am walking around shooting video and I need to overcome the walking motions, etc.

It still may not work for you but typically I plant the monopod and keep both hands on the camera.  I affix the mono to the lens sheath hole and swivel from there.  I shot a number of triathlons and road races using this technique.  In addition, the fast release and solid set one I have did me well.  It has a floating ball head that can move vertical as well.  Going up to where it is stored and will try and send a pic.  Used it a-lot for my 100-400 4.5-5.6 lens because of the weight.

Edited by North Buffalo

take a look at this floating head.  I have something similar.  Believe my stick is also a Manfrotto.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1162342-REG/manfrotto_mhxpro_bhq2_xpro_ball_head.html

Also this stick is similar to mine without the tripod style base: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1290571-REG/sirui_ep_204s_aluminum_multi_function_photo_video.html

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LTS said:

Considered... there are a couple of issues I am considering with a monopod.  I've used them in the past and the one I have won't work for this lens.  They are outstanding for landscape and similar photography where the subject matter doesn't move much.  My concern with a monopod and birds or things that move a lot is that you have to keep one hand on the monopod as a point of stabilization.  So you have one hand for the camera and that's a big lens to be moving around using just the camera to steer it.  For smaller lenses I definitely think monopod.

And the other aspect of this is.. I will be shooting video, so having a monopod doesn't totally eliminate the shake or give me a total level of control.

Currently I plan on getting a gimbal head for my tripod.  I'm big enough to be able to haul it around okay right now I think.  My monopod will still work for my smaller lenses, but it can't hold the weight of the 200-600.

I have motorized gimbal (DJI Ronin-S).  It could actually work with the 200-600, but that's not something you bring around on the trail with you and I use that exclusively for other video work where I can control the camera movements from a game controller or I am walking around shooting video and I need to overcome the walking motions, etc.

Realize your discussion is about still photography, but if you want to take video of a sporting event the monopod is a must have.  Wifey filmed our kids' games for years and the improvement in picture quality (via stability) was probably larger than when we improved the camera itself.

23 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

take a look at this floating head.  I have something similar.  Believe my stick is also a Manfrotto.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1162342-REG/manfrotto_mhxpro_bhq2_xpro_ball_head.html

Also this stick is similar to mine without the tripod style base: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1290571-REG/sirui_ep_204s_aluminum_multi_function_photo_video.html

Actually came across a Wimberley Monopod Gimbal head that looks kind of promising.  I have a decent ball head now, but man the weight of the camera is tough.  It's nice to be able to let go of it once in a while like you could with a tripod and gimbal head.

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

Realize your discussion is about still photography, but if you want to take video of a sporting event the monopod is a must have.  Wifey filmed our kids' games for years and the improvement in picture quality (via stability) was probably larger than when we improved the camera itself.

Yeah.. stability is critical.  When I do hockey games (I'm not using a 200-600 lens) but I was using my DJI Ronin S.. I just sat there pushing the controller stick left or right to pan along with the game and watched it on the LCD.  Super smooth...

• Like (+1) 1

You guys have inspired me to break out my old Mark II 1Ds digital back.  

PS up in Amherst MA at our old house, kicked renters out so we would have somewhere to go to this summer.  lotta young hotties scantily clad... man do I feel like a dirty old man.

• Like (+1) 1

This is what human flesh looks like (mine) when it comes into contact with a grinding wheel on a 4” grinder. I’ve worn gloves every time I’ve used a grinder for the last 28 years but this one time at home just hitting a few rough edges on some fencing, 45 seconds worth of work.

I’m guessing I’ve done this to several thousand pairs of gloves and didn’t flinch....

Atol.

4B8EA652-46BD-4615-B412-F6861B43672F.jpeg

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ogre said:

This is what human flesh looks like (mine) when it comes into contact with a grinding wheel on a 4” grinder. I’ve worn gloves every time I’ve used a grinder for the last 28 years but this one time at home just hitting a few rough edges on some fencing, 45 seconds worth of work.

I’m guessing I’ve done this to several thousand pairs of gloves and didn’t flinch....

Atol.

4B8EA652-46BD-4615-B412-F6861B43672F.jpeg

Ogre, as the saying goes, "You got cut down to the white meat".  Seriously, I hope it heals soon!

19 hours ago, Tondas said:

Ogre, as the saying goes, "You got cut down to the white meat".  Seriously, I hope it heals soon!

Zoom in...I went through the white meat. My favorite is the epidermal skin that is charred black from the wheel burning it’s way through. 

It’s fine. Flesh wound. You should have seen the back of that same hand after I had a golf ball sized hunk of every layer of skin ripped right off of it. Needed a skin graft for that one.

*Disclaimer!*
You’ve got to be tough when you’re dumb.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Weave said:

And I just slammed the tip of my ring finger with a hammer hard enough to split it open.  No pics.

I need to go back to work. It’s safer there.

I swing an eight pound hammer at large targets as a deadly skill. When I remodeled the inside of my first house I was a fish out of water with a sixteen ounce hammer and little tiny finish nails. I finally surrender speed for placing each nail in needle nose pliers first. It’s took month for the feeling to come back. 

My next project has the price of an air nailer included.

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Did a modified mini Murph today and the gym opened up this week. Restaurants got the go ahead to open up too.

Is there a mini, mini, mini, mini, Murph for us older folks?  What I mean is, is there a Murph that lets me sit on my ass all day, drinking, and call it exercise?  If there is, then I'm shredded.

Seriously, keep at it, 0311.

Edited by Tondas

33 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Is there a mini, mini, mini, mini, Murph for us older folks?  What I mean is, is there a Murph that lets me sit on my ass all day, drinking, and call it exercise?  If there is, then I'm shredded.

Seriously, keep at it, 0311.

I wish there was. I used COVID as an execuse to not get out there. It’s not as easy to get back as it was in my 20s. 

33 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I wish there was. I used COVID as an execuse to not get out there. It’s not as easy to get back as it was in my 20s. 

I get it.  In my 20's, I exercised and I didn't need to, now in my 50's, now that I need to, I don't exercise.  Ain't life funny.

Edited by Tondas
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Indabuff said:

First of the year steamed clams last night.  Went through 100 between three of us.  Shrimp on the barbie tonight.

Damn,  after you guys eat, the ocean level drops by a foot.?  Enjoy!

Edited by Tondas
  • Haha (+1) 1