Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

4 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

@Wyldnwoody44,

The second and third photo remind me a lot of The Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, New Scotland.  We don't call Nova Scotia (Latin for New Scotland) New Scotland for nothing.

I'd still love to make it up to NS at some point ?

I fear you'd have to leave, as I would be stopping by ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lake Placid for X-Mas... just had a great time with my sister in law, brother and two nieces... Weather sucked for skiing but family stuck together and had a lot of fun hanging out.  Went skating on the Olympic Oval and went to Olympic museum as well  as viewed the rink where it all happened in 1980.  Pretty cool.  Town was not what I pictured but still pretty cool and had a lot of fun.  Head home tomorrow.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...

Driving up to Quebec city in the morning for a week away, can't wait to hit the ice skating trails, 15Km of Zamboni fresh ice through the forests and rivers, little food and hot chocolate stands along the way. Toboggan downtown, and the food; also gonna stop in Montreal for 2 days on the way back. Not as extravagant a trip as some of my past ones, but still, getting away is so nice ?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Driving up to Quebec city in the morning for a week away, can't wait to hit the ice skating trails, 15Km of Zamboni fresh ice through the forests and rivers, little food and hot chocolate stands along the way. Toboggan downtown, and the food; also gonna stop in Montreal for 2 days on the way back. Not as extravagant a trip as some of my past ones, but still, getting away is so nice ?

Nice.. the forest trail will be amazing I am sure. 

Spent the weekend in Philly with my best friend. The main purpose was to go to the Mütter Museum. 

Loved it. 

Loved it so much. A great time with good food, good drink, good wandering, good nerding out, and laughing till my abs hurt.

Also, Gritty everywhere. Amazing. 

82695323_10216451976918448_8763045237435138048_n.jpg

82751487_10216454421899571_295788865757642752_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

@josiewas the museum worth it? I've had that on my list for a while, and did you have any of the Philly cheese steaks while you were there?

Also, Kaylee wants us to all go somewhere together soon ?

I loved it. I could've spent hours reading each tag on the wall of skulls. Dozens of skulls, each with a name, age (if available) and cause of death. Learned about the Scopzi that way... wiki at your own risk.

For me the most affecting things were:

- slices of brains with gangliogliomas and other cancerous tissues. There's lots of death in there obviously, limbs, pieces, skeletons, fetuses, but that was the part that made me feel like I was most directly facing Death itself. 

- there are lots of fetuses in varying stages of deformity/growth. none of that bothers me (if anything it just solidified further my decision to never have kids). But there was one conjoined twin stillbirth in a jar that was, well, forgive me, but, lifelike. The others are essentially tissue, clearly discolored, human but recognizably "medical specimens". These two were so perfectly preserved that it felt like they were going to open their eyes. Their pose was so living. It was truly eerie. 

I also got to see a heart with a hole in it- just like me. 
Lots of cool stuff. I think you'd really enjoy it. It's very respectful, very clinical, very classic. It is not a big museum. It took me a few hours because I read every little thing, and I would've spent more time but it was rather crowded (saturday).

It's fully my wheelhouse, probably my number one interest. But we've had convos looking at destroyed severed limbs from ER over wings at Gabe's Gate before so I think you'd love it too. 

Edited by josie

42 minutes ago, josie said:

I loved it. I could've spent hours reading each tag on the wall of skulls. Dozens of skulls, each with a name, age (if available) and cause of death. Learned about the Scopzi that way... wiki at your own risk.

For me the most affecting things were:

- slices of brains with gangliogliomas and other cancerous tissues. There's lots of death in there obviously, limbs, pieces, skeletons, fetuses, but that was the part that made me feel like I was most directly facing Death itself. 

- there are lots of fetuses in varying stages of deformity/growth. none of that bothers me (if anything it just solidified further my decision to never have kids). But there was one conjoined twin stillbirth in a jar that was, well, forgive me, but, lifelike. The others are essentially tissue, clearly discolored, human but recognizably "medical specimens". These two were so perfectly preserved that it felt like they were going to open their eyes. Their pose was so living. It was truly eerie. 

I also got to see a heart with a hole in it- just like me. 
Lots of cool stuff. I think you'd really enjoy it. It's very respectful, very clinical, very classic. It is not a big museum. It took me a few hours because I read every little thing, and I would've spent more time but it was rather crowded (saturday).

It's fully my wheelhouse, probably my number one interest. But we've had convos looking at destroyed severed limbs from ER over wings at Gabe's Gate before so I think you'd love it too. 

Yeah I love that stuff, I remember going to Mingala's lab in Auschwitz and seeing all of the things they did and used for experimentation and that was insane in itself. 

I think I'll take a road trip to Philly one of these days and see that, plus Philly has a lot of other cool history, maybe in the summer I'll enjoy it sometime. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/18/2020 at 6:35 PM, Taro T said:

One of my computers started giving warnings that hard drive failure was imminent about a week ago.  Just got the new hard drive installed and everything is exactly as it was (excepting for the imminent hard drive failure ? ) and running fine.  Yea!

Same thing happened to me with a workhorse Toshiba that I purchased in 2014 and then did the free upgrade to 10 from 7 about a year ago.  Took it to the shop that I purchased it at and they replaced the hard drive (not for free, but for a very good price) and it's been working better (much faster) than ever since.  Very impressed with this small family run shop.  Picked up a new ThinkPad as a new laptop to run my tax software exclusively.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

@josiewas the museum worth it? I've had that on my list for a while, and did you have any of the Philly cheese steaks while you were there?

Also, Kaylee wants us to all go somewhere together soon ?

Kaylee?

Oh, now I remember.  Your sister, eh?

Is she in Québéc with you?

On 1/19/2020 at 3:48 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Never heard of this before. It sounds Wintery Awesome! for sure. I would do that and I hate wintering. Any more info on the location?

1 hour ago, ... said:

Never heard of this before. It sounds Wintery Awesome! for sure. I would do that and I hate wintering. Any more info on the location?

Domaine le foret Perdue is the main one, it's nestled in between Quebec city and Montreal; there are petting zoos along the way you can stop and feed animals and etc on skates, lined with trees and just cool nature. There is also another one in Shannon maybe 25 min from downtown Quebec city, that one is maybe 2-3 miles and is supposed to be very pretty ?

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Kaylee?

Oh, now I remember.  Your sister, eh?

Is she in Québéc with you?

Cousin, remember ; not sister, duh!!! 

And of course, nothing like frenching your family in French Canada....

• Like (+1) 1

Je me souviens @Wyldnwoody44! I’m not sure of your route to QC but if you’re ending in Montreal then you’re doing that trip backwards from the way I used traveled it. You should really take that leg across the Mercier through the Québécois farmland down to Trout River/Constable...follow 138....those are my old stomping grounds...lots of pretty girls that didn’t shave...loved them all...It’s not a bad drive to Buffalo from there. Enjoy that beautiful place!

4 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Je me souviens @Wyldnwoody44! I’m not sure of your route to QC but if you’re ending in Montreal then you’re doing that trip backwards from the way I used traveled it. You should really take that leg across the Mercier through the Québécois farmland down to Trout River/Constable...follow 138....those are my old stomping grounds...lots of pretty girls that didn’t shave...loved them all...It’s not a bad drive to Buffalo from there. Enjoy that beautiful place!

Haha very nice, I haven't seen any braided armpit hair yet. Our plan here is QC until Friday and then head back toward Buffalo through Montreal, staying in Montreal for the weekend. 

Are you still around these parts!? 

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Haha very nice, I haven't seen any braided armpit hair yet. Our plan here is QC until Friday and then head back toward Buffalo through Montreal, staying in Montreal for the weekend. 

Are you still around these parts!? 

No I’m near Bristol Mtn now. I was born as raised  up there. I’d suggest taking the 138 to Trout River. Beautiful drive and ridiculously easy reentry. If you cross that particular crossing then you’re in my hometown. If I were a tour guide I could blow minds by taking them to Montreal and then in little over an hour be in the Adirondack Park...very unique place.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/19/2020 at 3:48 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

NY Times article...https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/travel/ice-skating-Quebec.html