Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

On 10/7/2019 at 1:22 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

"jumpin around the country" black hills of South Dakota, Custer state park, Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Devils tower, Spearfish, etc. 

This country has some real nice treasures 

You are one of them ....  joie de vivre!

I’ve been composing in my mind for a week and have let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  It’s time to post!

I went to my first same sex wedding last weekend in Minneapolis.  My niece got married.  What a trip!

1).  I left Tampa’s 82 degrees to land in Minnesota’s 38.  Oh, that crisp, stinging, air.  I’ve been immersed in the heavy, dull, air of the Gulf Coast for 22 years.  I like the weather here, but immediately felt “home”.  Absence makes the heart, and all that ..

2). What a loving, raucous, joyful ceremony.  Two beautiful gowns.  I didn’t know if I’d see gowns, tuxes, two of each, one of each ... neither!?

3)   The reception was in a 126 year old restored boiler works on the Mississippi River, so charming and stately.  As I sat through the ceremony, I looked at the exposed brick walls and thought of the masons who laid the brick.  If only they could see this ceremony, this world, today!  There are precious things that are abandoned in the name of progress.  I can abide progress, I can revel in progress, but I can’t do either without acknowledging  the importance and beauty of some things swept aside.  The masons would not have approved of the event.  I understand and feel them.

4). The crowd included many same sex couples.  The gender/style was different everywhere I looked.  My favorite was a young lady with short parted hair and a perfectly tailored suit with her wife in a vintage, Audrey Hepburn evoking, billowy dress.  Breakfast at Tiffany’s met Madmen.

5). The wedding took place on a Bills Bye Week.  That was no accident.  My niece is the most die hard Bills fan I know.  The reception included spontaneous chants of “Let’s go Buff A Lo” and a dance floor cramming “Shout”.  Our new Minnesota-native family members popped their eyes and looked around with every new cheer or song.

6).   I have a new job that regularly takes me to New Orleans.  I’ve watched the Mississippi slither languidly into the Gulf of Mexico for the last two months.  It doesn’t slither languidly at its head.  The Minneapolis Missippi is a roiling riot of a river, with swirls and white caps.  No one in Louisiana  nicknamed it “Mighty”.  Some Swedish settler in Minnesota did.

7).  My daughter is a Type I diabetic.  She traveled with her new fiancé and they had their own room.  The combination of dancing, wine, and travel lead to seizures at 2:30 am after the reception.  Her fiancé was with her.  It was bad.  He had no experience.  In a matter of minutes, he had EMTs enroute and my wife and I running for elevators.  He called 911 at 2:31.  The EMTs were in the room at 2:38.  Terrifying.  All is well.  Children go off on their own after high school.  I’m glad she’s sharing a bed with someone she loves.  I thought this when she got engaged, just a few weeks ago.  So soon, so grateful.  He’s a Patriot fan.  I have no problem with this.

8).  To first responders!

9).  My daughter was diagnosed almost 19 years ago.  She’s lived alone, in dorms or apartments, for six.  She traveled through Europe, alone except for 10 days in Paris where I joined her.  In two decades, and on two continents, she’s had three critical events.  Once, I was in a car with her.  Once, I was in a hostel with her.  Once, I was in a Minneapolis hotel with her.  Believe what you want ... I know what I believe.

10).  “Sometimes, there is so much beauty in the world, I feel like my heart cant take it”.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Even though the Sabres were terrible, this was soooooo amazing! It was unreal, and I urge anyone that even has an inkling of seeing the aurora to DO IT! 

received_591588098256031.jpeg

received_530798184319037.jpeg

received_2484286401618452.jpeg

received_703698246807781.jpeg

received_395481844663712.jpeg

received_422903641690205.jpeg

received_507560593432996.jpeg

received_447659519221350.jpeg

received_2533324183608944.jpeg

received_688781774948299.jpeg

received_2480383515573046.jpeg

That is forking awesome. 

2 quibbles: 1 the Sabres were 1 horrible call against Dahlin away from OT (and Ras had a solid game for the 1st time in 3 weeks) and back in '91 there was an aurora that was visible to right overhead in WNY with both that awesome green AND red too.

So, just get outside of the city proper and enjoy all that. ?

Glad you and crew are having a good trip.  Get us a W tomorrow (ok, today).

6 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Even though the Sabres were terrible, this was soooooo amazing! It was unreal, and I urge anyone that even has an inkling of seeing the aurora to DO IT! 

As a kid I went to Fairbanks and stood out on the street all night outside the hostel. It was so Charlie Brown.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

This is a lifelong dream of mine. 

Will I ever have the money/time to go? probs not. But maybe. 

17 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I recently went to Thunder Bay with my wife to hopefully see them. (Read that it’s a good spot most of the year)

the night we were there it was cloudy and rainy ... so it remains on my bucket list.

but not all was lost. We also summited high points of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. We have 28 states under our belt now ?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, josie said:

This is a lifelong dream of mine. 

Will I ever have the money/time to go? probs not. But maybe. 

This is true, the finances are pretty outta hand to see them..... Norway was right on par with Switzerland when it come to ridiculous expensive-Ness. Alaska was too, im assuming yellow knife would be. Iceland is the easiest and cheapest destination, but the stuff once you're there is silly too. 

Just tell Dark that you're going with me on the next adventure, I'll be a sugar daddy and he can have kaylee for the time we're gone ???

7 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I recently went to Thunder Bay with my wife to hopefully see them. (Read that it’s a good spot most of the year)

the night we were there it was cloudy and rainy ... so it remains on my bucket list.

but not all was lost. We also summited high points of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. We have 28 states under our belt now ?

Nice, the US has so many awesome things to see. Weather is such a factor sadly 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

The rink my son's new team plays and practices in has a bar that overlooks the ice. 830 practices are so much better now.

When my son was taking piano lessons, the teacher's hubby used to serve me martinis during the lesson.  Things got better when my son got his driver's permit  ?