Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

On 7/11/2019 at 6:54 AM, shrader said:

I walk by the VA hospital out here occasionally. They always have some sort of truck/trailer parked on the side for the “Durham VA Department of Emergency Response”.  They do in fact use the abbreviation D VADER

@DarthEbriate

Hopefully, the vehicle is black, well-polished, and ... with some blinking lights.

On 7/10/2019 at 7:30 AM, SABRES 0311 said:

San Fran was a bit of a shock. I couldn’t tell if I was  driving on trolly tracks, a bike lane or a car lane. 

It's one magical city to drive in. And even better for parking.

And you listened to CCR the entire way? But roadtrip music... I guess that would be a post in a different thread.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

It's one magical city to drive in. And even better for parking.

And you listened to CCR the entire way? But roadtrip music... I guess that would be a post in a different thread.

TBH it wasn’t just CCR but it did make up a good part of the drive. That might be a good thread.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

What's the deal with the brick wall?

That net thing of yours will not work, sorry.

That was a heat barrier for the chimnea but some bad winds blew it over. Why not just stand them back up you ask? A little tree frog has taken up residence in the toppled bricks and I feel bad disturbing what he’s got going on. I’ll just have to wait for fall.

Do you mean the net won’t work for you? Cause it’s been kicking mosquito ass over here.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I am not against anyone drinking alcohol, so long as it's in moderation and you don't drive home.

I stopped maybe 25 years ago, just didn't enjoy it anymore.   The only time that I would take a drink would be with good friends in Croatia and Bosnia when we were there and then only one.

People would just stare and wonder when I told them.  Then I just started telling them it was against my religion, which it is.  That helped, as it was a learning moment for them.

Yeh well I quit when I was 19 and my brother was put in rehab.  They asked and though I hadn't gotten in any real trouble... had a few friends die of overdoses by that point and I decided I wanted something better with my life.  I have a non alcohol beer every now and then but thats it.  Only miss chilling with a joint now and then but dont regret the decision. Since then have known too many people who have suffered the consequences of alcoholism and drug addiction including my brother who were unwilling seek help and or accept it.  Really frustrating self centered disease of poor me if you knew my troubles bs... especially when there is so much help out there just no quick fixes.

I grew up in a family of teetotalers, but drank in college. I'm on meds now that make more than one beer a recipe for all kinds of stomach hell. Finding I don't miss it *that* much. I have one when appropriate, enjoy it, call it a day. Two if it's early and I have hours to let it settle. I have a coworker who's straight edge- it's kinda weird the questions people give him at work functions when he's sipping a soda instead of a beer. A former coworker of mine at my last job just hated alcohol, the taste of it- my god, people never left the guy alone "try this! you'll like this! oh you just haven't tried enough!".

I'm starting to get them now too- "oh are you not feeling well" "oh are you on a diet" "have you tried *fill in the blank hard seltzer that's popular right now*" "ooooh are you expecting"....

Like... Asking someone why they're not drinking is like asking a couple why they don't have kids. The answer might be banal or very very painful, you don't know their story, and it's bloody rude of you to stick your nose in their business. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, josie said:

I grew up in a family of teetotalers, but drank in college. I'm on meds now that make more than one beer a recipe for all kinds of stomach hell. Finding I don't miss it *that* much. I have one when appropriate, enjoy it, call it a day. Two if it's early and I have hours to let it settle. I have a coworker who's straight edge- it's kinda weird the questions people give him at work functions when he's sipping a soda instead of a beer. A former coworker of mine at my last job just hated alcohol, the taste of it- my god, people never left the guy alone "try this! you'll like this! oh you just haven't tried enough!".

I'm starting to get them now too- "oh are you not feeling well" "oh are you on a diet" "have you tried *fill in the blank hard seltzer that's popular right now*" "ooooh are you expecting"....

Like... Asking someone why they're not drinking is like asking a couple why they don't have kids. The answer might be banal or very very painful, you don't know their story, and it's bloody rude of you to stick your nose in their business. 

I took an almost 3 year break from booze. I'd get the question all the time. Just told them, gleefully, "I'm an alcoholic!" Then smiled. They all tended to ***** off, real quick. Like they had brought up the death of a child or something. Awkwardness entertains me. It's even more fun now when the same people see me with a beer and they think I'm sliding into a downward spiral, or I fell off the wagon, or if my life is falling apart....it's like, "nah, I'm just having a beer at the ball park." 

I can't even get through 3 beers anymore unless I'm in a social setting and am actively doing something. If I'm home, I'm asleep halfway through number 2. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I've cut way back in the last month or two. I wasn't a daily drinker, but I probably averaged one beer a day over the course of a month. I realized that when I drank, I felt pretty crappy after (not hungover), and whatever arthritis-like thing that's going on in my feet got worse when I have beer. So I still have one or two on occasion, but haven't had any in the house in awhile.

26 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Phoenixville, eh?  The diner from that movie is in Downingtown now.

Yep. I used to live in Coatesville so I saw the diner regularly. I read somewhere the original was sent to Hollywood at some point and there's that cool art-deco one now.

3 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

They can get through the gaps in the deck boards.  Also, this is definitely a new take on the polish porch.

They’re like zombies, man. Hungry for flesh and too dumb to try anything but waiting outside the net. There will easily be fifty of them clinging to the outside of the thing and not a single one inside. For the first time since we built the place six years ago we can finally sit on the deck past 9 pm and enjoy ourselves. The bonus is being able to take the older cat out with us and not have him wander off and get into trouble.

My tip? Keep the door to the thing downwind. The zombies would rather not fight the breeze it seems and collect on the other side leaving the door bug free.

I'm heading back to Africa in 2 weeks, we opened an orphanage over the winter and I need to stock meds there, 2 days ago a mother left her child there and took off. So we now have another mouth to feed. 

What's awesome about it, is that we will take care of that kid so well, and shame on that mother, ill be putting up some extra $ towards the budget because of this and I'll def make sure to do a thorough exam when I get in to the orphanage also. 

Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm heading back to Africa in 2 weeks, we opened an orphanage over the winter and I need to stock meds there, 2 days ago a mother left her child there and took off. So we now have another mouth to feed. 

What's awesome about it, is that we will take care of that kid so well, and shame on that mother, ill be putting up some extra $ towards the budget because of this and I'll def make sure to do a thorough exam when I get in to the orphanage also. 

Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. 

Good man.

One small point.  The situation with the mother and others that do what she did is her being the best mother that she can be, IMO.  She knows that you folks will take better care of the precious child than she is able, so she left it in your care, which is better than many other options available to her.  Maybe it was an unplanned pregnancy, which is often the case in these situations.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Good man.

One small point.  The situation with the mother and others that do what she did is her being the best mother that she can be, IMO.  She knows that you folks will take better care of the precious child than she is able, so she left it in your care, which is better than many other options available to her.  Maybe it was an unplanned pregnancy, which is often the case in these situations.

I agree and I am sure there were much worse situations for this child, the main issue this year in particular we face is that the harvest was very very small in Uganda and many are starving or cannot ration properly, the budget is tight, luckily I am able to help a bit more this year to help compensate, I mean it's what we are there for, but there's usually a bit more of a process in place. I'm gonna have to kick up the fundraising lol 

• Thanks (+1) 1