What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

I made overnight oats for the first time for today’s breakfast. I threw in a scoop of protein powder(chocolate). It was delicious and ridiculously easy. I think the vanilla protein and adding frozen blueberries would be da bomb. Where the hell has this been all my life? I hate living under this GD rock.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I just crawled out of the 1982 AMC Spirit and snatched that bottle to head out to Split Rock and fool around with Monique before I have to get her back to her parents house in Trout River, Quebec... 

I had 5 bucks and no wallet. Also, I have glasses with my initials on them... what'd you expect?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I make those often. Buffalo wing flavoring. I have a pretty good recipe that’s easy to do. 

Apparently, they are enjoyed quite often in Arizona.

EDIT: finally figured out how to add the H

Edited by SwampD

29 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Apparently, they are enjoyed quite often in Arizona.

Yea I bake em. Not pan fry em in butter or oil. Little healthier lol. However, the “healthier” idea goes out the window a little bit when I make the sauce with 1/2 cup Franks red hot and 2 tbsp. Melted butter. Lol.

Tempeh, I rolling boil the 10 “wings” for 12-15 mins. Remove from water and let cool.

Coating, I dip the cooled down wings in milk or soy milk, then flour/seasonings mixture, then brief redip in milk, then coat well in (Italian seasonings) Panko bread crumbs. 
Set on slightly oiled/sprayed baking sheet. Cook at 400° for 10 mins. Flip wings and cook for 8-10 mins.

toss the wings in sauce. Pig out.

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yea I bake em. Not pan fry em in butter or oil. Little healthier lol. However, the “healthier” idea goes out the window a little bit when I make the sauce with 1/2 cup Franks red hot and 2 tbsp. Melted butter. Lol.

Tempeh, I rolling boil the 10 “wings” for 12-15 mins. Remove from water and let cool.

Coating, I dip the cooled down wings in milk or soy milk, then flour/seasonings mixture, then brief redip in milk, then coat well in (Italian seasonings) Panko bread crumbs. 
Set on slightly oiled/sprayed baking sheet. Cook at 400° for 10 mins. Flip wings and cook for 8-10 mins.

toss the wings in sauce. Pig out.

Does boiling them change their texture? I didn't mind it just soaking them for about an hour.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Does boiling them change their texture? I didn't mind it just soaking them for about an hour.

Hmmm I never soaked em. try another batch the same way, but try to roiling boil and bake them. See if there’s a difference. One plus about it is it takes less time. Perhaps it softens them up or brings out a different flavor.

edit: after looking at a handful of recipes. I guess boiling removes any bitterness the tempeh may have. Plus softens it up better.

try another batch sometime soon and report back I would be interested to hear your experience with boiling and preparing that way versus just soaking.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had a Beef on Weck at Glory Days in Culpeper, VA. Not exactly the best one out there. The roll was missing the salt crystals, and the horseradish was weak.

But, it was a taste of home. And I watched the Sabres pot 2 goals at the start of the game.

Edited by Crosschecking
addendum

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Weave said:

Not I.  Do explain....

The water beans have soaked in. The gelatinous (or thickened might be a better word) liquid in a can of chick peas, for example. Said to be a good egg substitute. They say you can whip it into a vegan meringue. I might try to do that (I hate you, coronavirus).

Edited by PASabreFan

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The water beans have soaked in. The gelatinous (or thickened might be a better word) liquid in a can of chick peas, for example. Said to be a good egg substitute. They say you can whip it into a vegan meringue. I might try to do that (I hate you, coronavirus).

I saw that recently.  Can’t recall where.

On 1/27/2020 at 10:48 AM, SwampD said:

On 1/27/2020 at 12:01 PM, Zamboni said:

Hmmm I never soaked em. try another batch the same way, but try to roiling boil and bake them. See if there’s a difference. One plus about it is it takes less time. Perhaps it softens them up or brings out a different flavor.

edit: after looking at a handful of recipes. I guess boiling removes any bitterness the tempeh may have. Plus softens it up better.

try another batch sometime soon and report back I would be interested to hear your experience with boiling and preparing that way versus just soaking.

Hey SwampD did you ever make these the way I do? 
If so, what’s the difference in flavor with the way you did them?

34 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Hey SwampD did you ever make these the way I do? 
If so, what’s the difference in flavor with the way you did them?

It's funny you should ask this now. We just got some more yesterday and I plan on making them this weekend. I'll report back

Also got some smoky strips that are supposed to replace bacon. Kinda wondering if i should try making "wings' out of those. I could see those being dee-lish-ous.

• Like (+1) 1

Wife's birthday today. She's feeling much better, fever seems to have broken. She made me a fruity drink. Pineapple vodka, Malibu, little bit of crushed pineapple juice and some cherry juice. 3 of em. Then I made scalloped potatoes and ham for dinner. For dessert I've made a cake. White cake, with a cream cheese vanilla pudding frosting, topped with crushed pineapple, topped with cool whip and Maraschino cherries.

Time for dessert. Then bourbon.

• Thanks (+1) 1

The Irish Mafia's take out special last night was two GIANT fish fries and a growler (Mighty Ego) for $35. That's like getting a growler of craft beer for $5! 

For lunch I chopped up some of the fish and popped it in the toaster oven with some fries and tater tots until it was crispy hot and tossed it all in a warm tortilla with tarter and coleslaw...a glass of Mighty Ego! Friggin YUM!

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ogre said:

The Irish Mafia's take out special last night was two GIANT fish fries and a growler (Mighty Ego) for $35. That's like getting a growler of craft beer for $5! 

For lunch I chopped up some of the fish and popped it in the toaster oven with some fries and tater tots until it was crispy hot and tossed it all in a warm tortilla with tarter and coleslaw...a glass of Mighty Ego! Friggin YUM!

Wow, that sounds good.

IMG_1888.JPG

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.