What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

10 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I just got done cleaning up after making my family buttermilk pancakes on this fine morning. My wife and kid were over the moon for them, they both had seconds. And ya know what? Pancakes suck. They do! They're way worse than waffles, and not in the same league as French toast. Omelettes completely destroy them, so do scrambled, sunny side up, over easy and fried egg sandwiches. Man! Pancakes blow. The only worse breakfast foods are possibly oatmeal and definitely grits. 

Grits are awesome. 

I'll agree on most pancakes being underwhelming. 

Edited by Weave

1 minute ago, ubkev said:

Tell that to the cook in a random South Carolina restaurant (maybe it was Virginia) And that dude at the Waffle House that one time.

Contact info?  ?

the downside of grits is its a solid 30 minutes or more to get them to the right consistency.  I rarely make them for breakfast because of the time involved.  It's basically southern polenta.  Have you ever had gritty polenta?  For a dinner preparation I'll spend the time.  And it comes out creamy and delicious.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Contact info?  ?

the downside of grits is its a solid 30 minutes or more to get them to the right consistency.  I rarely make them for breakfast because of the time involved.  It's basically southern polenta.  Have you ever had gritty polenta?  For a dinner preparation I'll spend the time.  And it comes out creamy and delicious.

I'm not nuts about polenta either, so there ya go. Anyways... pancakes still suck.

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Contact info?  ?

30 minutes that is SOOOOOO worth it.

I'm a much more savory grits guy than breakfast grits.. although cheddar/chorizo grits are great for breakfast.

Just now, LTS said:

30 minutes that is SOOOOOO worth it.

I'm a much more savory grits guy than breakfast grits.. although cheddar/chorizo grits are great for breakfast.

When I do grits for breakfast, it's savory anyway.  Not a sweet breakfast guy at all.  Which probably explains my aversion to pancakes.

27 minutes ago, bobs0108 said:

I prefer cream of wheat over grits myself and I lived in the south for 5 years never could get use to them. 

I've been known to top a small bowl of cream of wheat with an over easy egg.  Break the yolk and mix it into the cream of wheat and it is delicious fatty rich.

I think it is time.  Let's hear everyone's top 3 breakfast meals.

For me it is:

1. Huevos Rancheros  I make mine with ground chorizo sauteed until just crispy, refried beans, 2 over easy eggs, and 2 fried corn tortilla shells.  Top with salsa.

2. Corned beef hash and eggs.  IMO the best part of St. Paddy's day is leftover corned beef hash the next morning for breakfast.  Over easy eggs to accompany.

3. Creole style shrimp and grits.  Bloody Mary to go along with.  Vacation breakfast supreme.

Honorable mention to an authentic French Omelet.  I've managed to get this technique down fairly well.  It does take practice to get it right, but when done right the eggs are silky smooth.  Almost custard like.

5 hours ago, Weave said:

I've been known to top a small bowl of cream of wheat with an over easy egg.  Break the yolk and mix it into the cream of wheat and it is delicious fatty rich.

For me it is:

1. Huevos Rancheros  I make mine with ground chorizo sauteed until just crispy, refried beans, 2 over easy eggs, and 2 fried corn tortilla shells.  Top with salsa.

2. Corned beef hash and eggs.  IMO the best part of St. Paddy's day is leftover corned beef hash the next morning for breakfast.  Over easy eggs to accompany.

3. Creole style shrimp and grits.  Bloody Mary to go along with.  Vacation breakfast supreme.

Honorable mention to an authentic French Omelet.  I've managed to get this technique down fairly well.  It does take practice to get it right, but when done right the eggs are silky smooth.  Almost custard like.

I drink breakfast more often than I eat it.  Protein shake thingy.

But eggs, ham, sweet potato hash, drenched in A1.

8 hours ago, Weave said:

For me it is:

Your 1 and 2 are spot on, although, I would go 2 and 1.

My number 3 is just a straight up extra horseradish bloody mary.

37 minutes ago, Ogre said:

This has got me remembering my grandpas everyday breakfast. Bacon, sunny side eggs cooked crispy on the bottom in the bacon fat on well buttered black toast. Baked beans with vinegar. Twice perked coffee. 

I need to have this next weekend.

Is he still alive? If not, how old was he when he passed? My guess is he went deep.

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Is he still alive? If not, how old was he when he passed? My guess is he went deep.

He passed away a long time ago. ‘89 I think. He was a logger. He was a well muscled energetic 72 year old. He was in the woods everyday until he found out about the lung cancer from all the unfiltered cigs and pipe smoking and refused nutrition of any kind afterwards. He passed three weeks later. If he hadn’t known the diagnosis he may have cut logs for another ten years. Great guy. I miss him.

Kester Rupert Wood

11 hours ago, Weave said:

For me it is:

There's only one true breakfast meal for me and it's Country Fried Steak and Eggs from Jay's Diner. Nothing else comes close. 

• 2 weeks later...

So F coriander, a/k/a cilantro.  I'm in the 10% for whom it tastes like soap https://www.britannica.com/story/why-does-cilantro-taste-like-soap-to-some-people (this is a thing , and I knew I was, but I figured, hey, it's been years, let's give it a shot.)

Soap.

Shrimp and rice dish is ruined because I was an idiot and mixed the coriander/cilantro/Palmolive/whatever in with the rice like an idiot.

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

So F coriander, a/k/a cilantro.  I'm in the 10% for whom it tastes like soap https://www.britannica.com/story/why-does-cilantro-taste-like-soap-to-some-people (this is a thing , and I knew I was, but I figured, hey, it's been years, let's give it a shot.)

Soap.

Shrimp and rice dish is ruined because I was an idiot and mixed the coriander/cilantro/Palmolive/whatever in with the rice like an idiot.

Hmmm. I thought my wife was crazy when she compared it to soap. I’ll let her know she isn’t alone.

I love it btw. It tastes clean like pure freshness to me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.