What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

22 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Hmmm. I thought my wife was crazy when she compared it to soap. I’ll let her know she isn’t alone.

I love it btw. It tastes clean like pure freshness to me.

She is not alone (citation is above).  I don't know why I decided to experiment at home instead of at Salsarita's or something, but ugh, apparently I have not evolved beyond it.  Seriously, it's like pouring dish liquid onto food.  

Good news is that I didn't mix the shrimp and rice for tomorrow's lunch.  I'll eat the shrimp and the slaw (side) and let the rice go.

54 minutes ago, Eleven said:

So F coriander, a/k/a cilantro.  I'm in the 10% for whom it tastes like soap https://www.britannica.com/story/why-does-cilantro-taste-like-soap-to-some-people (this is a thing , and I knew I was, but I figured, hey, it's been years, let's give it a shot.)

Soap.

Shrimp and rice dish is ruined because I was an idiot and mixed the coriander/cilantro/Palmolive/whatever in with the rice like an idiot.

More proof that you are broken.

And yes, I know of the cilantro-soap thing.  Thankfully noone in my household is afflicted with such a hideous condition.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Weave said:

More proof that you are broken.

And yes, I know of the cilantro-soap thing.  Thankfully noone in my household is afflicted with such a hideous condition.

I really feel like I'm missing out!  What does it taste like for the other 85-90%?

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

It's brighter than parsley.  I'm having trouble describing it without any to sample at the moment.

Clean. Fresh. If your eating young sprouts there’s a lemon twang in there that lights my sinus cavities with an all day flavor.

9 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Clean. Fresh. If your eating young sprouts there’s a lemon twang in there that lights my sinus cavities with an all day flavor.

I don't get full on lemon, but there does tend to be a generic bright, citrusy character on top of the parsley-like grassiness

The first time I had cilantro I had never heard of it before (what can I say, I'm just some rube from WNY and it was before the internet.) I was with my wife at a Mexican restaurant in Hunter on a ski weekend and I thought someone had poisoned my food (I may have had some paranoia going on, if you know what I mean, It was a ski weekend after all.)

Ive grown to tolerate it now, but most of the time I find it overrated.

Except when its in a corn salad. I looooove cilantro corn salad (with jalapeño and onion).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

going along with my post in the whiskey thread....

Made a prime rib dinner last night.  Used a technique that I've heard about many times, but never quite had the courage to try.  Usually a meal like that means special company is coming over and you want everything to go off perfectly.  So I limit my experimenting to areas well within my comfort zone.  Our oven is due for replacing.  It gets kind of funny about controlling temp at low heat settings, so the usual method of making prime rib is risky.

To avoid low temp control issues I went with the 5 minutes for every pound of roast at 500 degrees, and then turn the oven off and let it coast for 2 hrs method.  We had a 4.2lb roast so I preheated to 500 degrees, put the roast in, set the timer for 21 minutes, and turned the oven off when the timer sounded.  2 hrs later the roast was already rested and had an internal temp of 128 degrees.  Perfect.  I've got to say, this method produces a prime rib with the best texture.  In my experience medium rare prime rib can have an off putting texture in the middle where the meat is more rare than medium, but this method produced a roast that had a nice pink color throughout, no lost liquid when cut (it rested for 2hrs FFS), and a texture that was more like medium.  And of course, being prime rib, tender enough to cut with a butter knife.

Made an au jus with the drippings.  Started with sauteing a miropaux, deglaze/flambe with 1/2 cup of congac, make a roux to thicken the liquid, added the drippings and some beef stock.  Simmered that for 10 minutes and put it in a gravy boat.

Broiled asparagus and mushroom barley risotto were sides.

And that delicious whiskey after dinner drink.....

• Like (+1) 1

So I like my brother-in-law, but he can’t make roast beef to save his life.  He and his wife (my wife’s sister) have been hosting Xmas for the past few years, and he’s been buying the wrong cut of beef AND overcooking it.  

This year, my mother-in-law has moved into a nicer, bigger apartment and is hosting — and my wife and I have seized back the beef acquisition and roasting responsibilities.  

We’ve acquired a huge honking bone-in rib roast and it is going to be outstanding.  

I keep it simple — trim the fat, a lot of salt,  a bit of pepper, coat in olive oil, cook in a roaster with a rack at 450 for 30 min or so to sear the outer layer, then the rest of the way at 350.  Carrots, onions and beef broth in the pan, then make gravy at the end with that mixture and the drippings.  

It is fantastic when executed correctly.

Today is Christmas with my family in NY. Deviled eggs, ham, gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, broccoli casserole, sausage and peppers, meatballs, chocolate pie, apple pie, coconut pie. And of course, lasagna is the headliner. I suppose I'll snag a dinner roll or two as well.

Everyone who's celebrating, have a nice holiday. And everyone who's not, have a nice week!

• Thanks (+1) 1

Been cooking for the past idk how many hours, getting ready for tomorrow. Had to make meatballs, sauce and manicotti. 3 glasses of Buffalo Trace, and several deviled eggs later, I'm finally sitting down. Oreo truffles are good too. Throw in a peanut butter ball or 2 and I'm pretty darn happy, right now.

Traditional Polish Xmas eve meal. Kielbasa, kapusta, perogies with buttered onion, grochowka, borscht with sour cream.....

I made the deserts...Eggnog custard pie with sugar cookie crust, cheesecake with homemade strawberry syrup and a wild black raspberry pie...

My belly hurts...

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Those can't be real words.

The grochowka my MIL makes isn’t really a soup. You still need a spoon to eat it but definitely not a soup. This is the first year since I’ve been in the family that she’s made the borscht. It was awesome. The Russians make their borscht with meat but the Poles version is vegetarian. I love beets(and have a ton in storage)so I will be making it often.

I eat the kapusta but I’m not a big fan. I’m not crazy about sauerkraut to begin with but to stew it with all that other stuff....oof.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.