What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Frigid holiday means cook alot of meals ahead day.

At Wegman's yesterday we found a cut of meat I hadn't seen before, beef country style ribs.  Know what they are in pork, but not beef.  We brought two, 2lb packages home with us.  This morning I unwrapped them and they appear to be chuck roast sliced into steaks, basically.  I should have guessed that is what they were.  No problem.  I browned them and put them in a crock pot with barbeque sauce, peppers, onions, poblanos, a bunch of spices, and the scrapings from the browning pan.  They will become tonight's dinner along side cubed acorn squash roasted with a chipotle and brown sugar rub.  And maybe a brown rice pilaf.

Now that the beef is getting cozy, next up is chicken and sausage jambalaya.  I'll make a huge pot and freeze most of it.  Smoked beef and pork sausage (couldn't find any andouille anywhere, so have to improvise).  Brown rice instead of white, although using barley is a tempting twist.  And I have my own Creole seasoning mix that will be used liberally.

And then a big pot of beef and barley soup is on the agenda.  One of our favs.  Tons of veggies.  Keeping some out for a weekday dinner, and the rest is frozen for quick meals.

Oh, and a bag of perch is thawing out for dinner tomorrow.

Chipotle Pumpkin Turkey Chili.  Went pretty light on the peppers since I'm a weenie when it comes to spice, but good flavor and lots of texture.  Will definitely make this again!

https://www.isabeleats.com/chipotle-pumpkin-turkey-chili/

Chipotle Pumpkin Turkey Chili. Went pretty light on the peppers since I'm a weenie when it comes to spice, but good flavor and lots of texture. Will definitely make this again!

https://www.isabeleats.com/chipotle-pumpkin-turkey-chili/

I’m going to have to give that one a try.

It was fish fry night here. Perch caught this season in Lake Erie. Probably my favorite seafood. Dredged in flour, eggwash, and a coating of seasoned cornmeal. Pan fried in 350 degree oil until golden brown and crispy.

post-2557-0-36174000-1514853360_thumb.jpeg

I made pork and sauerkraut (and apples) in the pressure cooker yesterday. Turned out good, but pork tenderloin turned into more of a pulled-pork than something I could slice up. Pretty good nonetheless!

My mom (and grandma) make it in a roaster and it's a lot better than mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I found some sirloin tip toast at my local Big M yesterday for $2.99/lb so I grabbed a small 3 lbs. I seared the fat side in a very hot ceramic skillet and threw it in the crockpot with nothing but 2 cups of beef broth. Tossed in a cup of rice and a 1/2 cup of pasta towards the end. Melts in your mouth. The wife and both cats were purring through dinner.

Stuffed my belly then crawled into the napping nook in the loft. I can digest and listen to the game downstairs.

Once my belly goes down a bit I’m going to finish the growler of Rohrbach’s blueberry ale I opened after riding today.

I’m going to get a 10 pounder tomorrow while they still have it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've fallen for Nellie's Free Range (and certified humane) eggs sold at Wal-Mart. Pricey at about $3.50 per dozen, but you feel good about spending a little extra. It's been a long time since I've seen eggs with yolks that orange and whites that thick and gelatinous (?). Very tasty. The cynic in me wants to find a catch, but I haven't found one yet.

I mean, it's Xavier Laflamme's family, but I won't hold that against them. Are the hens actors?

I've fallen for Nellie's Free Range (and certified humane) eggs sold at Wal-Mart. Pricey at about $3.50 per dozen, but you feel good about spending a little extra. It's been a long time since I've seen eggs with yolks that orange and whites that thick and gelatinous (?). Very tasty. The cynic in me wants to find a catch, but I haven't found one yet.

I mean, it's Xavier Laflamme's family, but I won't hold that against them. Are the hens actors?

Our near future plans include enough distance from our neighbors to be able to raise free ranging chickens. 

Had a little date night on Thursday and decided we wanted fancy appetizers instead of a real dinner.  There was a soft-boiled free-range egg involved.  It had pancetta in it, and it was topped with a potato foam.  It was amazing.  And I swear the quality of the egg itself is what made it.

To anyone in Buffalo, I highly recommend this.  It's at Oliver's.

Took about 2.5lbs of venison stew meat out of the freezer yesterday.  Wasn't sure of what I wanted to do with it today.

Chose Mexican,  Ended up making a mole sauce from scratch.  Added the venison and a big pile of peppers and onion, and let it slow cook for 3+ hrs.  Served with brown rice and tortilla shells.  Turned out fantastic.  Just enough spice to get your attention. 

It's pretty simple to make, but is time consuming.  Starts with a handful of a variety of dried chili peppers (I used anchos, pasillas, and guajillos), toast the dried peppers in a dry pan for about 20 seconds per side. They should just start to smoke and turn fragrant.  After they've cooled enough to handle, split them open to remove the seeds and tear them into big pieces.  Add a little oil to a hot pan, add a can of crushed tomatoes, let it sizzle for a bit, turn down the heat to let it simmer, add the toasted chili peppers and a couple of chipotles.  Add some stock as needed to thin the liquid out.  You're not making a paste.  Salt, pepper, cumin.  Simmer for 20-30 minutes to soften the dried peppers.  Pour the whole mess into a blender and blend until smooth.  Pour the liquid through a strainer and push it through to separate out the chunky stuff and seeds.  In a hot pan, saute a big heap of peppers, onions, and garlic until all the water they produce evaporates, pour in the mole sauce, and add the meat.  Cover and put in a 300 degree oven until the meat is tender.  Serve with rice and tortilla shells to sop up that delicious sauce.

A beer is required as a side.

The transformation of the ingredients is amazing.  Right out of the blender the sauce tastes tomato-y and a little bitter.  But after caramelizing in the oven for a few hours, the sauce becomes amazingly deep colored and rich.  It doesn't taste at all like tomato anymore.  The peppers take over and the sugars in the tomatoes caramelize and the whole thing gets real earthy and smoky.

I might go back for seconds later.

I made risotto for the first time the other night.. Never attempted it before because of the time commitment. But it sure was worth it!

We've, your mole sauce sounds incredible. Never made that before. You've inspired me to try it out, maybe with a pork tenderloin in the crockpot. Hopefully the slow cooker facilitates a similar flavor transformation that your 3 horus in the oven did. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the new Wegman's here in north Jersey yesterday. In addition to my chicken finger sub, I picked up a couple of packs of Sahlen's (my wife wouldn't let met get the 20lb bag). I was really hoping that they were going to be as good as my nostalgic homesick mind made them out to be.

Just cooked two of them flat dog style on the panini maker. Cheddar, mustard, catchup, tabasco.

They were every bit as good as I had hoped.

Pan fried grouper fillet with a brown butter sauce, barley risotto with roasted garlic and lemon and a drizzle of white truffle oil, and broiled asparagus with grated parmesan.

The risotto was a garlic bomb.  I roasted a head of garlic until the cloves were soft, sticky, and caramelized.  I put 3 cloves of it in the risotto.  I could have gotten away with just one.  There was nothing subtle about the garlic flavor in the risotto.  I will be sweating garlic tomorrow.

Subbing barley for rice has become my favorite way to make risotto now.  And it is healthier as well.

*urp

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.