What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

3 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Back in the day my nickname was T-Bone. 
I remember being at a party one night being introduced to a kid who’s nickname was Pork Chop.

We didn’t have much in common.

Are you Watkins from accounting?

• 2 weeks later...

I made carbonara tonight. I've pretty much prefected it at this point. The guanchale, the egg, the cheese. All perfect ratios. It's pretty much the 3rd best Italian dish for me. Right behind lasagna and ziti and just ahead of manicotti and amatriciana. 

Ok 4th best. But only because pizza is the greatest food of all time. 

On 5/25/2023 at 6:23 PM, ubkev said:

I made carbonara tonight. I've pretty much prefected it at this point. The guanchale, the egg, the cheese. All perfect ratios. It's pretty much the 3rd best Italian dish for me. Right behind lasagna and ziti and just ahead of manicotti and amatriciana. 

Ok 4th best. But only because pizza is the greatest food of all time. 

Recipe?

I have always made this with pancetta.

On 5/27/2023 at 7:19 AM, 5th line wingnutt said:

Recipe?

I have always made this with pancetta.

I don't really follow a recipe. I make this one off of gut feeling lol. Rough numbers are 2 egg yolks per person, plus one yolk. So if you're making it for 2 people that's 5 yolks. Roughly 6 oz of guanchale that is cooked slowly til fairly crisp. While I'm cooking the guanchale I'm grating the pecorino romano. Locatelli has 7 oz wedges of it. I use like 5 or 6 oz? Grate the romano super fine(don't buy grated cheese.) Now here's where some people freak out. I use spaghetti. Some other people use rigatoni, I personally don't care, rigatoni would probably be pretty damn good too. Just use a dry pasta, 2.5 ish oz per person. Don't go using the whole box, it'll mess up the egg and cheese ratio. 

Start whisking your yolks in a medium mixing bowl (metal bowl if you have it) add some black pepper, just a few shakes. 

Add the romano to the eggs and now you have a paste, keep mixing, mix over the steam from the boiling water, it'll help. 

Strian your pasta, but reserve some of the water. I fill a coffee cup with it before I strain it. 

With your reserved pasta water, splash it into your egg & cheese paste. Go slow! too much, too soon will ruin it. Once the eggs and cheese are a nice and thick, but creamy consistency add your pasta and mix. The pasta should be coated nice and evenly, no clumps, but not runny either. If you need a splash of pasta water, add it here. Now add your guanchale (set it out on a paper towel after it crisps, add it from there)

Now plate and serve. You're gonna need a crisp white wine to play off of the saltyness of the carbonara. 

Guanchale is what the dish is made with. Pancetta gets substituted in the USA because most people don't have stores that sell guanchale. The flavor is different. You can always order it, but if you live in a city, someone generally sells it.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ubkev said:

I don't really follow a recipe. I make this one off of gut feeling lol. Rough numbers are 2 egg yolks per person, plus one yolk. So if you're making it for 2 people that's 5 yolks. Roughly 6 oz of guanchale that is cooked slowly til fairly crisp. While I'm cooking the guanchale I'm grating the pecorino romano. Locatelli has 7 oz wedges of it. I use like 5 or 6 oz? Grate the romano super fine(don't buy grated cheese.) Now here's where some people freak out. I use spaghetti. Some other people use rigatoni, I personally don't care, rigatoni would probably be pretty damn good too. Just use a dry pasta, 2.5 ish oz per person. Don't go using the whole box, it'll mess up the egg and cheese ratio. 

Start whisking your yolks in a medium mixing bowl (metal bowl if you have it) add some black pepper, just a few shakes. 

Add the romano to the eggs and now you have a paste, keep mixing, mix over the steam from the boiling water, it'll help. 

Strian your pasta, but reserve some of the water. I fill a coffee cup with it before I strain it. 

With your reserved pasta water, splash it into your egg & cheese paste. Go slow! too much, too soon will ruin it. Once the eggs and cheese are a nice and thick, but creamy consistency add your pasta and mix. The pasta should be coated nice and evenly, no clumps, but not runny either. If you need a splash of pasta water, add it here. Now add your guanchale (set it out on a paper towel after it crisps, add it from there)

Now plate and serve. You're gonna need a crisp white wine to play off of the saltyness of the carbonara. 

Guanchale is what the dish is made with. Pancetta gets substituted in the USA because most people don't have stores that sell guanchale. The flavor is different. You can always order it, but if you live in a city, someone generally sells it.

I live near Raleigh, NC.  There is an Italian market downtown.  They probably have everything I need.  They also have awesome cannoli.  Double incentive to go shopping.  Thanks for sharing that recipe.  I think the classic pasta for this is bucatini.

Take it one step further and make homeade pasta. I love rolling it out in sheets and pressing it. I actually make a dessert lasagna with from scratch pasta sheets and it's layered with homeade chocolate mousse, Ganache and homeade whipped cream (I vary the flavors each time I make it) the pasta is cooked and then layered and it offsets the rich sweetness of it perfectly. 

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Take it one step further and make homeade pasta. I love rolling it out in sheets and pressing it. I actually make a dessert lasagna with from scratch pasta sheets and it's layered with homeade chocolate mousse, Ganache and homeade whipped cream (I vary the flavors each time I make it) the pasta is cooked and then layered and it offsets the rich sweetness of it perfectly. 

Tiramisu is my go-to dessert. I'm also a huge fan of creme brulee. But yours definitely sounds like something I'd eat. 

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Tiramisu is my go-to dessert. I'm also a huge fan of creme brulee. But yours definitely sounds like something I'd eat. 

I love creme brulee, I bring my torch to work and I'll be torching up some at my desk in the ramekins. I also bring my French press 😂😂 but I look like a homeless man, people don't know what to think. 

11 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I love creme brulee, I bring my torch to work and I'll be torching up some at my desk in the ramekins. I also bring my French press 😂😂 but I look like a homeless man, people don't know what to think. 

Hahaha! Got you down in the ER with a dessert station going. ....add sugar, torch, top with cream and berries. And nurse, did we get results of that biopsy?

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

I was given a homegrown cucumber (you stop it, @inkman). I sliced it as thin as possible (I have no knife skills or decent knives so it is what it is). Left the skin on. Added half and half, EVOO, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar. This is my interpretation of a cuke salad my mom made. She got the cukes very thin and did peel them. Just regular vinegar I think and certainly no EVOO. Whole milk instead of half and half. She added thinly sliced onions. Not much to write home about but then you found it in the back of the fridge five days later and it was heaven. Just tasted the sauce. I'm no gourmand, but it's really good.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I was given a homegrown cucumber (you stop it, @inkman). I sliced it as thin as possible (I have no knife skills or decent knives so it is what it is). Left the skin on. Added half and half, EVOO, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar. This is my interpretation of a cuke salad my mom made. She got the cukes very thin and did peel them. Just regular vinegar I think and certainly no EVOO. Whole milk instead of half and half. She added thinly sliced onions. Not much to write home about but then you found it in the back of the fridge five days later and it was heaven. Just tasted the sauce. I'm no gourmand, but it's really good.

My granny had two variations on the quick pickled cucumber, a sugar-based one I wasn't as keen on, and this one -- cucumber, shaved onion, salt, vinegar, and cream. Nowadays, I peel maybe 4 strips off the cucumber so I get a green-white-green, then slice thin, shave in a bit of onion for kick (often omitted for heartburn prevention), then salt it and let it sit for 20 minutes. Press out some of the water. Add the vinegar, top off with milk/half-and-half/heavy cream whatever works. Pickle it up a bit. And then serve with a sturdy grind of fresh black pepper, for this one a coarse grind is best.

It is an excellent side for burgers and a standard egg/paprika-topped cold potato salad.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

20 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

My granny had two variations on the quick pickled cucumber, a sugar-based one I wasn't as keen on, and this one -- cucumber, shaved onion, salt, vinegar, and cream. Nowadays, I peel maybe 4 strips off the cucumber so I get a green-white-green, then slice thin, shave in a bit of onion for kick (often omitted for heartburn prevention), then salt it and let it sit for 20 minutes. Press out some of the water. Add the vinegar, top off with milk/half-and-half/heavy cream whatever works. Pickle it up a bit. And then serve with a sturdy grind of fresh black pepper, for this one a coarse grind is best.

It is an excellent side for burgers and a standard egg/paprika-topped cold potato salad.

This is fantastic. I've never heard of this. Our neighbor just dropped off a cucumber in a bag of veggies from their garden.

33 minutes ago, SwampD said:

This is fantastic. I've never heard of this. Our neighbor just dropped off a cucumber in a bag of veggies from their garden.

Me too, that's why I asked.  To me, cucumber salad is with tomatoes, a little fresh basil, maybe some red onion, and a little olive oil/balsamic.  Salt and pepper.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.