What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

On 2/4/2021 at 4:34 AM, Weave said:

@Shmuffalohow do you like it?  What are your thoughts?

Not a big fan of Makers everyday stuff, but some of their special bottlings have been really nice.  Good to see that one over 100 proof.

Same. I don't like their regular stuff, aside from mixers, but this is pretty damn good.  Like the label says, its heavily vanilla, baking spice, and caramel to really turn it into more of a dessert whiskey... I havent tried with ice or adding a drop of water (usually like it neat, but might experiment), I think $60 or $70, It's worth it.  

The Woodford Double Oaked Private Selection Barrel from Premier (as opposed to the regular Double Oaked) on the other hand, I don't know what they chose as far as barreling - no info on the label, but it is the biggest oak bomb that I've tasted.  Usually like oak in a whiskey, but this is like oak with hints of bourbon.

Had some Uigeadail the other night; still may favorite obtainable whisk(e)y... aside from it jumping in price 20 bucks over the last year or so.

Edited by Shmuffalo

• 1 month later...

Had a Beyond Burger tonight.  I'm Catholic, it is a Lenten Friday, and I am so sick of fish, and grilled cheese, and needed some protein.

You know what?  It wasn't just "not bad."  The freaking thing was delicious!  I mean out of dis world delicious.  

I am betting dat in 30 years, they'll find chemicals in dis thing dat will kill me.  But I really did like it.

Toppings were conventional:  LTO, American cheese, pickles (dill, the dummies) and mustard.  Nothing special.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Had a Beyond Burger tonight.  I'm Catholic, it is a Lenten Friday, and I am so sick of fish, and grilled cheese, and needed some protein.

You know what?  It wasn't just "not bad."  The freaking thing was delicious!  I mean out of dis world delicious.  

I am betting dat in 30 years, they'll find chemicals in dis thing dat will kill me.  But I really did like it.

Toppings were conventional:  LTO, American cheese, pickles (dill, the dummies) and mustard.  Nothing special.

They are surprisingly meaty.  I asked a vegetarian co-worker if he liked them and b=he complained dat they were too meaty in taste and texture.  I figure dat is a good endorsement.

I'm not sure they are actually healthier though.

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

They are surprisingly meaty.  I asked a vegetarian co-worker if he liked them and b=he complained dat they were too meaty in taste and texture.  I figure dat is a good endorsement.

I'm not sure they are actually healthier though.

I would bet money dat they are not healthier than natural burgers.  Indeed, I would bet money dat they are LESS healthy than natural burgers.  There has to be something bad about the gene manipulation and chemical treatment going on.

I actually like some natural veggie burgers, like black bean burgers.  Wish they were on more menus, especially during Lent.

dat said, I don't think one or two Beyonds per year will kill me. Especially considering the other nonsense I Ingest.

Now, who's up for a Hostess cupcake?

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I got me some of that Impossible meat. Man, it looks and cooks like beef for sure. I didn't even want to touch it. I made goulash with it, so we'll see about the taste.

I've had a couple of those burgers.  They're all right, but I'd rather have a regular black bean burger if I'm going the veg route.

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I got me some of that Impossible meat. Man, it looks and cooks like beef for sure. I didn't even want to touch it. I made goulash with it, so we'll see about the taste.

What is it? Is that what it's marketed name is?

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I actually ate a burger for lunch.  I made some big mac sauce to go with it and honestly it tasted pretty good.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Well? End results? I haven’t tried impossible meat. I won’t seek it out but I won’t turn it down either. 

I can see consuming it as a moral alternative (as pertaining to animal rights morality, not good for Mother Earth morality) but certainly not a healthier one. (I consume as little processed foods as possible)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/is-the-impossible-burger-healthier-than-beef/

8 hours ago, Ogre said:

Well? End results? I haven’t tried impossible meat. I won’t seek it out but I won’t turn it down either. 

I can see consuming it as a moral alternative (as pertaining to animal rights morality, not good for Mother Earth morality) but certainly not a healthier one. (I consume as little processed foods as possible)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/is-the-impossible-burger-healthier-than-beef/

I couldn't tell it wasn't beef. But goulash (American style) is one of those dishes you could leave the meat out of and not realize it's gone.

You are right. The ethical and environmental reasons to use a beef replacement outweigh the health factor. The list of ingredients in Impossible Burger is something to look into.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I couldn't tell it wasn't beef. But goulash (American style) is one of those dishes you could leave the meat out of and not realize it's gone.

You are right. The ethical and environmental reasons to use a beef replacement outweigh the health factor. The list of ingredients in Impossible Burger is something to look into.

The list of ingredients, as I understand it, is actually quite small.  The ingredient that is the biggest question mark is "heme".  That's the secret sauce.  I have no idea what's in it, but at some point I suspect we'll be told it's a carcinogen or something.  Perhaps it's 100% safe... I have no idea.

I've not searched out any of the meat replacements.  I'm not sure I care enough to do so at this point.  I suppose I'm intrigued, but there are a few places in Rochester that create their own veggie burger and I find those amazing.  Sheffield Tavern is one, they make it with chick peas and mushrooms.  I had no problem eating that instead of a burger.

9 hours ago, LTS said:

The ingredient that is the biggest question mark is "heme". 

Good instincts. TIL that heme is basically the iron carrying part of blood. Found in plants too but much less so. As Impossible claims in the link, it’s what makes meat taste like meat. It seems they cultivate a plant form through genetically modified yeast. The factory looks like a laboratory and I suppose it is. 

Impossible meat may become impossible for me to try.

https://impossiblefoods.com/heme

On 5/27/2021 at 8:47 PM, Ogre said:

Good instincts. TIL that heme is basically the iron carrying part of blood. Found in plants too but much less so. As Impossible claims in the link, it’s what makes meat taste like meat. It seems they cultivate a plant form through genetically modified yeast. The factory looks like a laboratory and I suppose it is. 

Impossible meat may become impossible for me to try.

https://impossiblefoods.com/heme

The thing for me is that I just don't need something to look like meat or taste like it. I've had plenty of vegetable patties put into a what would otherwise hold a hamburger and have been plenty happy with the taste and experience.  No, it's not meat and I am okay with that.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a bottle of Angel's Envy last night. It's without a doubt the best bourbon I've ever tasted. Now I have to make it last.

Since Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are impossible to get in Pennsylvania (and have been for about 2 years) my wine consumption has increased tenfold.

Tonight it's a white trash whiskey tasting. Jameson is up first. Of course I've done shots of Jameson, I went to highschool. I've just never had it in a glass. It's fine. Next up is the swill that Connor McGregor peddles, Proper Number Twelve. Let's see how this goes.

34 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I bought a bottle of Angel's Envy last night. It's without a doubt the best bourbon I've ever tasted. Now I have to make it last.

Since Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are impossible to get in Pennsylvania (and have been for about 2 years) my wine consumption has increased tenfold.

Tonight it's a white trash whiskey tasting. Jameson is up first. Of course I've done shots of Jameson, I went to highschool. I've just never had it in a glass. It's fine. Next up is the swill that Connor McGregor peddles, Proper Number Twelve. Let's see how this goes.

Proper is tough stuff.  Not a fan at all.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.