What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

In my dream of spending my end years touring with Dark Star Orchestra making pizza in the parking lot, I've taken the task of creating a woodburning pizza oven that I can drag around behind a truck. So this is what I came up with. It's the 4 inch fan that gets the fire hot enough to make pizza.

oven.jpg

pizza.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Thinly sliced and greasy. At least that’s what Bocce told me a long long time ago ?. Oh and high heat. Like 550-600° area. 

The cup and char is thick, though.  If you look at heathen NYC pizza, the pepperoni is really thin and flat.  I don't know how it's done, but it isn't because it's thin.  And Bocce is the best pizza on Earth.

My next house WILL have an outdoor wood fired pizza oven. Rakish, I like the fan idea.  I hadn't seen a fan in the plans I've seen online.

Get that oven up to at least 650 degrees or just call take out. 700-750 is better still.

And, what LTS said about cup and char 'roni.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

My next house WILL have an outdoor wood fired pizza oven. Rakish, I like the fan idea.  I hadn't seen a fan in the plans I've seen online.

Get that oven up to at least 650 degrees or just call take out. 700-750 is better still.

Mine's not a traditional design because I want to be able to move it. One of my family members made the traditional pizza oven, it takes him a long time to get hot enough, and he has to burn a fire to get the crust to brown. That said, he really likes his oven.

I don't have a thermometer, but it still takes a bit too long to cook the pizza, so I'm not up to a good temperature yet. Still working on it.

21 minutes ago, rakish said:

Mine's not a traditional design because I want to be able to move it. One of my family members made the traditional pizza oven, it takes him a long time to get hot enough, and he has to burn a fire to get the crust to brown. That said, he really likes his oven.

I don't have a thermometer, but it still takes a bit too long to cook the pizza, so I'm not up to a good temperature yet. Still working on it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/packages/help-around-the-kitchen/photos/how-to-make-the-absolute-best-pizza

I’m sure you know about most of this ... but maybe one or two tips here will help you. ??

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/packages/help-around-the-kitchen/photos/how-to-make-the-absolute-best-pizza

I’m sure you know about most of this ... but maybe one or two tips here will help you. ??

Most of those I do, it's funny, I've been putting done pizzas (I know there's a real word, pizzi?) in the oven rack only because I let the fruit flies get out of hand. I had hoped I could live without a peel, I couldn't.

The other great thing about the traditional backyard pizza oven is that it's so pretty. Mine has no aesthetics going for it.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

All I learned from googling that is that NYC will call it their own in five years.

NYC could never adopt that pepperoni.  They barely like cheese on their paper crusts.  That pepperoni would destroy them.. how do you fold a slice when the grease will run all over your hands?  Not a chance..

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I continue to have that desire to build an oven... or buy one.. 

6 minutes ago, rakish said:

Most of those I do, it's funny, I've been putting done pizzas (I know there's a real word, pizzi?) in the oven rack only because I let the fruit flies get out of hand. I had hoped I could live without a peel, I couldn't.

The other great thing about the traditional backyard pizza oven is that it's so pretty. Mine has no aesthetics going for it.

And this is why.. even your "non-aesthetic" pizza looked amazing.  It also tastes incredible.

My friend who's a rather big foodie in Buffalo has a Ooni or something like it. https://ooni.com/  - he loves it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

My friend who's a rather big foodie in Buffalo has a Ooni or something like it. https://ooni.com/  - he loves it.

A buddy of mine has one.  He takes it camping with him.  Very credible pizzas come out of it.

If I don't build a pizza oven I'll buy a Big Green Egg or equivalent.  They will get hot enough for good pizza.

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

A buddy of mine has one.  He takes it camping with him.  Very credible pizzas come out of it.

If I don't build a pizza oven I'll buy a Big Green Egg or equivalent.  They will get hot enough for good pizza.

There is a top I could put on my weber smokey mountain that is designed for it, but I'm not sold on the quality yet.  In THEORY it could work, but I really think you need the closeness of the heat source and the weber is better suited for long, slow, burns over short, hot ones.

Now I want the damn wood fired pizza... at 10:20am.. awesome.

14 minutes ago, LTS said:

NYC could never adopt that pepperoni.  They barely like cheese on their paper crusts.  That pepperoni would destroy them.. how do you fold a slice when the grease will run all over your hands?  Not a chance..

Yet, when I google "cup and char," the results are all about how it's becoming a trend in NYC.

7 minutes ago, LTS said:

There is a top I could put on my weber smokey mountain that is designed for it, but I'm not sold on the quality yet.  In THEORY it could work, but I really think you need the closeness of the heat source and the weber is better suited for long, slow, burns over short, hot ones.

Now I want the damn wood fired pizza... at 10:20am.. awesome.

I'd buy an Ooni in a heart beat.  They use surprisingly little wood to get up to temp, and they get up to temp fast, but I don't need another gadget, so I am going to be patient and either do the outdoor oven or Egg style grill/oven.

And, when is it ever not appropriate to crave good pizza?

23 hours ago, Eleven said:

Yet, when I google "cup and char," the results are all about how it's becoming a trend in NYC.

Search results are often tainted by your other searches. I don't see much in the way of NYC when I searched it.  As such, I am inclined to believe that you've been looking at other things related to NYC. ?

23 hours ago, Weave said:

I'd buy an Ooni in a heart beat.  They use surprisingly little wood to get up to temp, and they get up to temp fast, but I don't need another gadget, so I am going to be patient and either do the outdoor oven or Egg style grill/oven.

And, when is it ever not appropriate to crave good pizza?

Yea.. another gadget is the problem.

It's never not appropriate.  But I would crave a wood fired pizza over a traditional pizza oven pizza every moment of every day. that's all.. and now I want wood fired pizza again.  ARGH!

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, SwampD said:

My latest late night indulgence, cottage cheese with Sriracha (the real, green cap stuff.) Love it.

I cannot imagine cottage cheese without canned fruit.

Anyway.  You, and @Weave are being involuntarily drafted into this:  https://www.sabrespace.com/community/topic/28511-hard-luck-league-fantasy-football-aka-taros-league/

Just do it.  It won't cost you anything and it will make people happy.

@PASabreFan I wouldn't mind seeing your acumen.  Goes double for @LGR4GM

I will name my team "Cottage Cheese Swamp" if all of you join.

Edited by Eleven

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Anyway.  You, and @Weave are being involuntarily drafted into this:  https://www.sabrespace.com/community/topic/28511-hard-luck-league-fantasy-football-aka-taros-league/

I just joined.

and fruit sucks.

17 hours ago, Eleven said:

I missed this.

And I don't know that I have the time anyway.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.