What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

3 hours ago, Ogre said:

We have a vacation coming up at a beach house on LBI ocean side right on the beach. It was all paid for before the pandemic. Now I hear there’s 34 COVID positive lifeguards on the island. We can truck in all we need and be inconsequential to the overall COVID load but, but if the beaches end up closed what’s the point?  

How could you let a bunch of young lifeguards hold the fate of your industry in their hands and not want a bigger commitment from them? The beach is your friggin industry! 

Whatever. Money lost is better than lives lost.

5 hours ago, SwampD said:

Rode my bike to my buddy’s house. Here’s how I hydrated when I got there.

image.thumb.jpeg.da794234ff55dcf8c9417f861443dee5.jpeg

Rode back home and strapped on the feed bag to a bowl Chicken Murphy.

Good lord.

Let’s take a month’s worth of chicken and put it in one bowl of stew with peppers and sausage.

Jersey is just awful,... and wonderful.

You should have a little wire rack like contraption on your bike right between your legs. Maybe it's plastic. It's the perfect size to hold that shaker. 

10 hours ago, Ogre said:

At first I laughed and then I got a creepy feeling. That movie really shook me when I was a kid.

I loved that movie from the very first time I saw it. But I'm the kinda guy that will go surfing while DVRing Shark Week.

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I assume you aren't complaining about that just commenting on it. ?

Definitely. I’m just wondering why I’ve been breaking plastic knives trying to spread cream cheese on Bagels all these years when I could have been using Greek yogurt.

Edited by SwampD

Speaking of Greek yogurt, I made gyros and tzatziki sauce yesterday. They really came out pretty darn good. I've been making a bunch of things that use the veggies from my garden. I just canned some jalapeño garlic dill pickles yesterday as well. And I hate pickles. Got 4 jars and I'll be giving at least 2 away. 

• Like (+1) 1

I had thought that I had eaten summer squash every way possible. I’ve eaten a LOT of summer squash.

Then I stumbled on to summer squash tots.

Dude. If you threw a little Old Bay in there you’d swear you were eating a Maryland crab cake. 
De-friggin-licious!

4 hours ago, ubkev said:

just canned some jalapeño garlic dill pickles

These are a must do for me every year. Substitute habanero for jalapeño though. 

A burger ain’t a thrill without some Spicey Ogre’s Dill!

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Substitute zucchini for banana and I'm right there with ya!

I’ve been working on a little summer squash press to get all that excess liquid out. 

So far two equally sized mesh strainers seems to be the most effective method. (Or just squeeze that sh!t out with your hands)

Also, Mrs. iT makes zucchini cookies that are so clean that they get gobbled up with fruit and eggs for breakfast.

Edited by Ogre

2 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I’ve been working on a little summer squash press to get all that excess liquid out. 

So far two equally sized mesh strainers seems to be the most effective method. (Or just squeeze that sh!t out with your hands)

Also, Mrs. iT makes zucchini cookies that are so clean that they get gobbled up with fruit and eggs for breakfast.

I use cheese cloth to squeeze out the excess liquid from cucumbers.

1 minute ago, Ogre said:

How much do you lose in the cheese cloth?

A few seeds. Really not much at all. Maybe a tablespoon?

Edit: I've also used a potato masher and a tuna strainer. All methods seem to do the trick.

Edited by ubkev

2 minutes ago, ubkev said:

A few seeds. Really not much at all. Maybe a tablespoon?

I’m considering lining my strainers with cheese cloth to minimize clean up. We freeze a lot of it and it’s just easier to set up and do a bunch in one chunk. I do all the clean so I’m very interested in less work.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Local place is playing around with kimchi. Just making their first batches now.  Asked me to sample their first batches and give feedback.

OMG so good.

This won’t end well.  I need a fire hydrant.

I made kimchi for the first time a few weeks ago. Amazingly easy and it turned out far better than i expected.  Learned a few things and looking forward to making more very soon.

The liquor store had the Game of Thrones Johnnie Walker scotches for 18 bucks on the clearance shelf. So I bought em all. They're fine. The bottles are neat. I'll drink them and forget about them. Not good, not bad.

4 hours ago, LTS said:

I made kimchi for the first time a few weeks ago. Amazingly easy and it turned out far better than i expected.  Learned a few things and looking forward to making more very soon.

I'm not sure what they used for pepper in one of them.  I'm guessing habanero or something eqjivalent.  No heat at first but it built over time, and eventually gave me a coughing fit.  I'm pretty heat tolerant.  This stuff had some zip.  And some real nice ginger flavors too.

On 8/7/2020 at 8:43 PM, Weave said:

I'm not sure what they used for pepper in one of them.  I'm guessing habanero or something eqjivalent.  No heat at first but it built over time, and eventually gave me a coughing fit.  I'm pretty heat tolerant.  This stuff had some zip.  And some real nice ginger flavors too.

Gochugaru - Korean dried red pepper flakes, are my guess.  You can guy them at Wegmans (McCormick no less) but absolutely at an asian grocery as well.  They are spicy and tasty..

On 8/10/2020 at 1:53 PM, LTS said:

Gochugaru - Korean dried red pepper flakes, are my guess.  You can guy them at Wegmans (McCormick no less) but absolutely at an asian grocery as well.  They are spicy and tasty..

You can get it in a paste as well, I use it when I make Dak Galbi, a delicious Korean dish, sweet potato, cabbage, rice cakes yummmm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.