What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Ah, let me tell you about the other grandfather, the sushi chef.  

(No, that would be a lie.  He made monuments.  Like the things you find at gravesites.  And before anyone gets started, no, not the big statues.)

Mine was a painter. And his food speciality was to let Grandma cook everything. (Ok that's a lie, he was a hunter and he always cooked the venison and rabbits.)

1 minute ago, ubkev said:

Mine was a painter. And his food speciality was to let Grandma cook everything. (Ok that's a lie, he was a hunter and he always cooked the venison and rabbits.)

Frescos or houses?  And I wish you had seen my edit.

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Ah, let me tell you about the other grandfather, the sushi chef.  

(No, that would be a lie.  He made monuments.  Like the things you find at gravesites.  And before anyone gets started, no, not the big statues.)

EDIT:  It was kind of the basic stuff, like this:

PA SABRE FAN

1949-2022

"LINDY RUFF WAS THE GREATEST COACH EVER"

But on a stone instead of an Internet message board.

Grandparents and gravestones: An aside.

My dad's parents were divorced before I was born. We never saw my dad's dad too much. He died a few years before my dad's mom. They are both buried in the same tiny church cemetery in Westernville. They are one grave stone apart. During grandma's funeral, my aunt matter of factly stated "a random woman in-between them. Perfect."

And that's still the funniest thing I've ever heard at a funeral.

40 minutes ago, ubkev said:

This all came about when my family and I were talking about foods that look amazing that we hate. Those cupcakes were mine. The wife said sushi. I'm not nuts about sushi, but I can eat it from time to time.

Speaking of nostalgia and seafood, just picked up smoked whitefish.  Haven't had it in decades.  It's fantastic.

Edited by Indabuff
And old school bakeries were the best

21 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Speaking of nostalgia and seafood, just picked up smoked whitefish.  Haven't had it in decades.  It's fantastic.

I think the only fish I've ever eaten is tuna, fried haddock, walleye and trout. Oh and I had blackened red snapper fish tacos with a mango salsa on vacation one time. They were phenomenal. 

3 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I think the only fish I've ever eaten is tuna, fried haddock, walleye and trout. Oh and I had blackened red snapper fish tacos with a mango salsa on vacation one time. They were phenomenal. 

My father used to buy whole smoked whitefish in Barcelona for $3 back in the day.  Most places want $20 a pound if you can find it nowadays.

Walleye is fantastic but don't overlook perch if you find some.  Same family.

You need to eat more fish!

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

My father used to buy whole smoked whitefish in Barcelona for $3 back in the day.  Most places want $20 a pound if you can find it nowadays.

Walleye is fantastic but don't overlook perch if you find some.  Same family.

You need to eat more fish!

I've eaten more than my share of fish.  I've never had smoked whitefish.  Wasn't a thing in my family, and I've never sought it out.  I do remember when it was a regular item in the grocery store.

I find perch to be superior to walleye.  Just as mild flavored, maybe a touch sweeter, but the difference to me is perch flesh is firmer than walleye.  Better texture.  Walleye is definitely a close #2 for fresh water fish.

• Like (+1) 1

Homemade New England* clam chowder, a fresh hard roll and 3 ice cold Labatt's (which is hard to get in Nebraska).  I'm full, satisfied, and a bit waxed.  What a great Sunday!

Edited by Tondas

My wife and I did pretty well on perch this spring/early summer out of Hanover, Cattaraugus Creek. Almost 300 over 6 trips...… We deep fried 2 bags on Friday for a little party, and the stuff is so effin good with a cold beer …….. tonight is grilled walleye and yellow squash, and smoked taters. 

I'd love to know what the recipe is for a smoked whitefish salad...…. it would be tempting to smoke some walleye and try an experiment. 

• Like (+1) 1

When the lockdown started, my wife and I made a big order to Butcher Box (we called it Meat Box, cuz you order, and a few days later, a box of meat shows up at your house.)

Everything else is long gone, but I went to the deep freeze and realized that there were still 8 salmon steaks that they threw in for free that we didn’t eat (my wife doesn’t eat salmon.) Finally cooked two on the grill straight and true (OO, salt, pepper) just to see what the fish tasted like before I get all fancy with spices and marinades. 

Wow. Served over some salad with a balsamic vinaigrette,... that was some breakfast!

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't have a lot of extra cash right now, but I had to splurge on the tuna tartare from Left Bank this evening.  It is sublime.

?!  Be careful!

Well...I think we both know I'm beyond that at this point. I'm going to put a dent in this and go to bed. More likely, pass out. I'm not going anywhere.

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't have a lot of extra cash right now, but I had to splurge on the tuna tartare from Left Bank this evening.  It is sublime.

?!  Be careful!

I love raw tuna in all its forms.

Now it's time for a cigar....

Rode my bike to my buddy’s house. Here’s how I hydrated when I got there.

image.thumb.jpeg.da794234ff55dcf8c9417f861443dee5.jpeg

Rode back home and strapped on the feed bag to a bowl Chicken Murphy.

Good lord.

Let’s take a month’s worth of chicken and put it in one bowl of stew with peppers and sausage.

Jersey is just awful,... and wonderful.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Jersey is just awful,... and wonderful.

We have a vacation coming up at a beach house on LBI ocean side right on the beach. It was all paid for before the pandemic. Now I hear there’s 34 COVID positive lifeguards on the island. We can truck in all we need and be inconsequential to the overall COVID load but, but if the beaches end up closed what’s the point?  

How could you let a bunch of young lifeguards hold the fate of your industry in their hands and not want a bigger commitment from them? The beach is your friggin industry! 

Whatever. Money lost is better than lives lost.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.