What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

20 hours ago, ubkev said:

Wife's birthday today. She's feeling much better, fever seems to have broken. She made me a fruity drink. Pineapple vodka, Malibu, little bit of crushed pineapple juice and some cherry juice. 3 of em. Then I made scalloped potatoes and ham for dinner. For dessert I've made a cake. White cake, with a cream cheese vanilla pudding frosting, topped with crushed pineapple, topped with cool whip and Maraschino cherries.

Time for dessert. Then bourbon.

Glad her health has returned! Mmmm... scalloped potatoes and Malilbu. Also good with pineapple and Malibu are slices of jalapeno as garnish. If you go for a little spice now and again.

This week was birthday week aboard the Ebriate starcruiser. So we did 1st-date-anniversary homemade Chinese dumplings (shrimp/celery, red bean dessert), then ice cream cake and Chicago-style deep dish for hers, then stroganoff and banana cream pie for mine. All very tasty and all homemade because our restaurants are closed and even delivery/takeout is now pretty reduced. She doesn't like banana cream pie, so I'm pretty much just eating banana cream pie at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/27/2020 at 12:26 PM, PASabreFan said:

The water beans have soaked in. The gelatinous (or thickened might be a better word) liquid in a can of chick peas, for example. Said to be a good egg substitute. They say you can whip it into a vegan meringue. I might try to do that (I hate you, coronavirus).

On 3/27/2020 at 12:29 PM, Weave said:

I saw that recently.  Can’t recall where.

It was on "How to Cook That" on Youtube recently.  I watched it Wednesday.  Can't believe the coincidence of reading it here now.

On 3/27/2020 at 1:25 PM, Zamboni said:

Hey SwampD did you ever make these the way I do? 
If so, what’s the difference in flavor with the way you did them?

They are better boiled. Much better texture. Tonight, I seasoned the water with Grill Mate Montreal chicken.

IMG_0094.jpg

29 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Awesome! Thank for reporting back.

what was better about the boil then bake method? 

Last time, I soaked, battered, then fried them. This time I boiled them instead of soaking. They were less grainy or gritty. Just a smoother texture. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Last time, I soaked, battered, then fried them. This time I boiled them instead of soaking. They were less grainy or gritty. Just a smoother texture. 

Awesome! Yea that’s how I make em. Boiling. 

Glad you tried both ways.

Damn now I want some ... Next week perhaps.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Weave said:

Perch fry, tater tots, and a Genny cream ale

There are few things I miss more than Friday fish fries during Lent.  Now, I may have gone potato salad and malt vinegar fries, but I write that only as an “aside”.

12 minutes ago, Neo said:

There are few things I miss more than Friday fish fries during Lent.  Now, I may have gone potato salad and malt vinegar fries, but I write that only as an “aside”.

The tots were much needed comfort food.  And out of the oil and dosed with adobo powder, transcended the oven cooked  tots of my youth.

If I ever grow a pair and work for myself, a small brewery in a small town, with a small menu of twists on quick prep comfort foods will be my likely livelihood.

Edited by Weave
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Tondas said:

19 Crimes Hard Chard.  A chardonnay with 15% alcohol.  Pretty good with a kick.

image.thumb.png.001ea1d716c772f28dfd0bb4b96d8a50.png

A friend showed me that they have an app that brings their wine labels to life.  It was pretty cool when they showed me.

EF7E9E6C-8A0D-4B65-AF35-026296500727.thumb.png.b754c9d03d02263baddd6a694d0436d0.png

Had some of this with my omelette (I know, I know. I’m trying) this morning. If nobody told me it wasn’t bacon,... I’d still know. Wasn’t bad, though, but almost too rich as stand alone bacon. It would probably be really good in a BLT. Add some avocado for a nice FLTA, mmm. Gonna have to try that. 

Edit:Of course, I’m still going to put real mayo on it. I’m not quite to the aquafaba mayo stage yet. Most likely never will be. Sorry PA.

Edited by SwampD

Just now, Zamboni said:

image.thumb.jpeg.fe30a7da21919c25294808a2b31412be.jpeg

Wife is making this PF Chang’s inspired Ramen bowl at home tonight. 
Had it at PF Chang’s about a month or so ago.

?

That looks awesome.

We just got done with a home made beer battered fish fry. We made it up and have no idea what we are doing, It was awesome. The best part was my wife’s pesto asparagus. The sriracha mayo for the fries was second. The fish, which was my responsibility was,... I’ll just say I’ll do better next time.

Still kicked ass, though.

Love ramen.  Not the box kind.  The kind that starts with boxed ramen noodles but goes into homemade broth, and a bunch of good stuff.

We've been doing our best to make sure the local joints don't fail during all this.  Take out 2x week.  Today was hot italian sausage sandwich and a small beef on weck pizza.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.