What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

• 2 weeks later...

Woke up at 1am, went into work. Had tea and a salad at 3am. Just had 2 fun size twix and 2 pink starburst. I won't eat anything until dinner at 6. Oh, and it's chicken fingers for dinner tonight. I'm thinking about a new career as a nutritionist.

• Haha (+1) 1

I was in Allentown for lunch today for about the first time in forever, so I had wings at Gabriel's Gate.  Not the same.  The "extra crispy" was kind of ignored; the sauce seemed off, too--it had plenty of butter, but there wasn't enough of a vinegar taste and the white pepper seemed to dominate.

I talked with the bartender about it (I ate at the bar) and she told me that since some national article about 18 months ago, they've been absolutely slammed and haven't been able to attend to quality as much.

I really, REALLY hope the Gate doesn't go the way of Anchor.

7 hours ago, Eleven said:

I was in Allentown for lunch today for about the first time in forever, so I had wings at Gabriel's Gate.  Not the same.  The "extra crispy" was kind of ignored; the sauce seemed off, too--it had plenty of butter, but there wasn't enough of a vinegar taste and the white pepper seemed to dominate.

I talked with the bartender about it (I ate at the bar) and she told me that since some national article about 18 months ago, they've been absolutely slammed and haven't been able to attend to quality as much.

I really, REALLY hope the Gate doesn't go the way of Anchor.

That’s grade A BS. You can choose to retain quality and accept that people will wait. Turning out a crappy product because you got popular is a cop out to me. People show up and they get your B game and think ... meh, not worth the hype. Don’t compromise... or at least don’t make excuses when you do.

Edited by LTS
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

That’s grade A BS. You can choose to retain quality and accept that people will wait. Turning out a crappy product because you got popular is a cop out to me. People show up and they get your B game and think ... meh, not worth the hype. Don’t compromise... or at least don’t make excuses when you do.

She also told me that the wait in the evenings is about an hour, and on weekends, 1:30 to 2:00.  They only have two fryers (and if you've ever seen their galley, you'll know there's no room for more).  I kind of feel like they're victims of their success.  So again, I hope they don't turn into Anchor.

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

She also told me that the wait in the evenings is about an hour, and on weekends, 1:30 to 2:00.  They only have two fryers (and if you've ever seen their galley, you'll know there's no room for more).  I kind of feel like they're victims of their success.  So again, I hope they don't turn into Anchor.

Gabriel’s Gate,... nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/7/2019 at 8:05 AM, Eleven said:

We went for the first time based on all the hype over the summer and were really disappointed, they were not busy at the time either.

So I can't really have too much caffeine (this will surprise no one, I'm sure) and I've been looking for a winter beverage for a long time.  I've found it.  Chicory.  Not coffee with chicory added (that would have caffeine), just brewed chicory.  It is fantastic.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

So I can't really have too much caffeine (this will surprise no one, I'm sure) and I've been looking for a winter beverage for a long time.  I've found it.  Chicory.  Not coffee with chicory added (that would have caffeine), just brewed chicory.  It is fantastic.

nygc3a5rda-burbon.jpg

Is there a more disappointing cheese than Monterey Jack?

It evokes images of maidens in frocks on a wind swept cliffsides, or high danger surf areas.

But in the end, it's really just plain ol' American cheese in block form.

Even Pepper Jack is just a lame attempt to make a lame cheese somewhat interesting by putting substandard pepper chunks in it to keep me interested.

On 11/17/2019 at 4:12 PM, Tondas said:

Bills victory shot of Absolut.  Grilled ham and cheese.  Coors Light.  Got to stay alert for the Sabres game.

When the Bills win, our Bills Backer bar host springs for a shot of Buffalo Trace whiskey for everyone!

(If the Bills are winning, we all tab out by the end of the 3rd quarter  ? )

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 8:50 PM, SwampD said:

Is there a more disappointing cheese than Monterey Jack?

It evokes images of maidens in frocks on a wind swept cliffsides, or high danger surf areas.

But in the end, it's really just plain ol' American cheese in block form.

Even Pepper Jack is just a lame attempt to make a lame cheese somewhat interesting by putting substandard pepper chunks in it to keep me interested.

Monterey Jack is all about the melt. You don't put it on your charcuterie board or serve it straight up, but when you melt it and you don't have to worry about stringy globs catching in your mouth or an mess of oil on the top of your dish. It can also blend nicely --- use the cheddar for the kick, use the jack for the smooth melt. Use the mozzarella for the stretch, use the jack for the slack.

• 3 weeks later...

Remember that scene in Jaws? The one where Hooper visits Chief Brody's house at dinner time. The Chief then proceeded to pour his wife and Hooper a nice little 3 oz glass of wine then he up ended the bottle into his pint glass....

...yup

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.