What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

38 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Do you have the "soap gene"?  I do.  It stinks.  I feel like 90% of the world gets to enjoy cilantro and I taste soap.

I was educating my family about this last night.  I made a corn just off the cob/tomato salad with avocado, scallion, cilantro, lime juice.  And I mentioned how much it would suck if cilantro tasted like soap to me. At first they didn't believe such a thing existed, much less that it was pretty common.

That said, if it has always tasted like soap, you really aren't missing it as much as if you at one point knew how awesome it was and then had it taste like soap later.  Unlikely to happen... and I am sure my commentary on the awesomeness of cilantro is not really helping you right now. ?

6 minutes ago, LTS said:

I was educating my family about this last night.  I made a corn just off the cob/tomato salad with avocado, scallion, cilantro, lime juice.  And I mentioned how much it would suck if cilantro tasted like soap to me. At first they didn't believe such a thing existed, much less that it was pretty common.

That said, if it has always tasted like soap, you really aren't missing it as much as if you at one point knew how awesome it was and then had it taste like soap later.  Unlikely to happen... and I am sure my commentary on the awesomeness of cilantro is not really helping you right now. ?

I never heard of that soap gene. Very interesting. Glad I like cilantro. How many other foods have that soap gene issue with people? Hmmm

i don’t necessarily taste soap, but I hate cucumbers, grapefruit and cantaloupe ?.

4 hours ago, LTS said:

That said, if it has always tasted like soap, you really aren't missing it as much as if you at one point knew how awesome it was and then had it taste like soap later.  Unlikely to happen... 

This happened to me with shrimp/shellfish in general.  Loved it until my early 30's, when I ate a big plate of shrimp pasta for dinner one night and ended up in the ER with hives covering my body and my airway closing off.  I loved seafood, now, having been informed by several doctors that it will cause me to die should i partake in it again, I'm left with painful memories...

sad will ferrell GIF

23 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

This happened to me with shrimp/shellfish in general.  Loved it until my early 30's, when I ate a big plate of shrimp pasta for dinner one night and ended up in the ER with hives covering my body and my airway closing off.  I loved seafood, now, having been informed by several doctors that it will cause me to die should i partake in it again, I'm left with painful memories...

sad will ferrell GIF

This my story with stone fruits basically.  I grew up eating plums and cherries like a maniac.  Now, I can't really touch them.  I can eat them cooked, but if they are fresh and I eat them I will have an allergic reaction.  I don't miss the cherries, but plums... damn plums.

I think it's OAS - Oral Allergy Syndrome, not so much an allergy to the food, but no amount of cleaning, etc. can save me from the reaction to the raw fruit.

4 minutes ago, LTS said:

This my story with stone fruits basically.  I grew up eating plums and cherries like a maniac.  Now, I can't really touch them.  I can eat them cooked, but if they are fresh and I eat them I will have an allergic reaction.  I don't miss the cherries, but plums... damn plums.

I think it's OAS - Oral Allergy Syndrome, not so much an allergy to the food, but no amount of cleaning, etc. can save me from the reaction to the raw fruit.

So when I went and had the allergy test done where they cut your back open in 50 places and drop various stuff in to see what happens the doctor was basically like: “you’re lucky it wasn’t crab.”  I also loved crab.  WTAF?

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2019 at 12:07 AM, SwampD said:

I've had a meatless day.

Insert inky joke here (and yes, I said insert.)

My wife and I do three meals a week from Hello Fresh, and tonight was Beyond burgers. I gotta say, not only did I not hate them, I thought they were really good.

I'm conflicted.

I've had the beyond burgers too and yes they've done a decent job replicating the taste and texture of real meat.  The problem is that they are at best marginally healthier than the real thing. The ethical and environmental benefits can be argued as real, health not so much.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:07 AM, SwampD said:

I've had a meatless day.

Insert inky joke here (and yes, I said insert.)

My wife and I do three meals a week from Hello Fresh, and tonight was Beyond burgers. I gotta say, not only did I not hate them, I thought they were really good.

I'm conflicted.

I eat the morningstar grillers veggie burgers a lot. They're easy, quick, taste pretty good, and I got dark hooked on 'em too. I still prefer a big ol meat burger, haven't tried the Beyond or Impossible ones. Mainly because I'm usually coming home after job 2 at 10pm and don't have time to do anything but microwave. I've got a lot of GI issues, and while I still eat meat, eating less seems to help ease some of that. Turns out I can't process onions well (I'm pretty much on a lifelong FODMAP diet at this point). They're in a lot of stuff. Not too much in some of the veggie things, surprisingly. 

Just think of it as another food item. If you like it you like it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, spndnchz said:

For this ?? I love my George Foreman grill. Heat it up. Pop in burger or Panini. Done in 4 minutes 

Yeah, when time constrained a Foreman Grill is a very good cooking tool to have.

Beats the heck out of the microwave.

When non-time constrained, can't come close to a real Grill nor even a cast iron skillet.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, when time constrained a Foreman Grill is a very good cooking tool to have.

Beats the heck out of the microwave.

When non-time constrained, can't come close to a real Grill nor even a cast iron skillet.

I honestly don't see where a George Foreman grill is any faster than a stovetop skillet.  And the carmelization is soooo much better on the stovetop.

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

I honestly don't see where a George Foreman grill is any faster than a stovetop skillet.  And the carmelization is soooo much better on the stovetop.

Not much difference in total cooking time, but w/ the Foreman Grill, once you have the food in it you don't touch it again until it is time to take it out, so you can be doing other things while it is grilling.

(Thought about throwing that clarification into the OP, but decided not to bother.  Sorry.)

And already mentioned a cast iron skillet produces much better results, though with more effort/ attention.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not much difference in total cooking time, but w/ the Foreman Grill, once you have the food in it you don't touch it again until it is time to take it out, so you can be doing other things while it is grilling.

(Thought about throwing that clarification into the OP, but decided not to bother.  Sorry.)

And already mentioned a cast iron skillet produces much better results, though with more effort/ attention.

Yeah, I guess if flipping the food once after 2-4 minutes is too much effort....

48 minutes ago, Weave said:

On an electric stove, it might take more time to heat up a pan than to heat up a Foreman grill.

On a gas stove, no way.

Lots of people have electric stoves.  I even have had one since 2010, and I hate it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.