WTB Brian Spencer Sabres jersey #21

MysteryRPh

No! I was in the hospital recently. The day after I got home I found out I missed out on a Spencer jersey on eBay! I was heartbroken!

Despite all of Spinner's demons, he was my favorite player growing up. My son wants me to wear a jersey when I take him to the Sabres games...I know it may seem foolish, but I can't imagine wearing any other jersey but Spencer's!

It's actually a hand made custom piece by Silvestri Sports in Welland, Ontario. They do team jerseys and custom work on request. It's made out of a lightweight modern style athletic knit and all the numbers, crest and nameplate are hand sewn twill. The crest is a nice period-style reproduction which is what caught my eye with it. My only complaint is that the stripes should be narrower, but overall it's a nice unique piece and was worth the eBay gamble.

I bet if you requested they could probably make one for you just as this one was. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for the information. At least I don't feel quite so badly now...I thought it was an authentic 70's jersey! Although I would prefer to find a 70's jersey, I had considered customizing one of the "throwbacks" currently available, but I didn't know which one would be more correct to the period Spencer played with the team. In photos I have of him he is wearing a "lace up"....I believe the jerseys used during that period, circa 1974, were made by Rawlings...is that correct?

I checked out Silvestri's web site and they only show the "slug" jersey. I will contact them after Christmas and inquire if the '70's style jersey is still available. If not, I would value your opinion on which throwback jersey (Reebok, CCM, etc) you feel would be the better choice to customize.

Thank you, again, for sharing the information with me!

As I mentioned before, this jersey is handmade in its entirety, so I believe that as long as you provide them with some photos they should have no problem building one from scratch.

I too was curious as to whether it was authentic, or at least what it was. I could tell from the width of the stripes that it wasn't (I have a friend who owns an authentic jersey from that period) but I was curious nonetheless.

An authentic Spencer jersey as far as I know would be impossible to find, much less afford. But going through Silvestri looks like a great bet, especially to get the laces and wider yellow accent band around the shoulders, etc.

• 5 months later...

Hi Mystery,

I just wanted to check back in on this thread as I said I would let you know first if I ever had plans to sell the Spencer jersey. Well the time has come as I need some extra cash to pay for repairs to my truck and I'm ready to move the jersey on to a new home.

If you'd still like it, let me know and we'll work something out. :)

~Carter

Hi Carter! I had Shawn Marcoux at Silvestri Sports make me a Spencer jersey, almost identical to yours, with a slightly (more modern, although retro) different crest. I wore it the remainder of the Sabres season and received many complements from fans that remembered Spin with affection.

Thank you for contacting me and letting me know the jersey is available. Although I was able to have one made, I would be interested in the jersey, depending on the price.How much are you asking for the jersey?

Kind regards,

Diane

• 2 weeks later...
  • SDS locked this topic