Injury Report: Myers, Ehrhoff and Hecht

spndnchz

They gave him 1 chance in a game and he got 2 assists... isn't that enough for more of a look?Chewy could turn out to be a nice surprise from nowhere, not like our expensive bad surprises we have now. I could see Ellis at least going back down instead. I'm strting to get fed up w Kaleta and Stafford as well.

No. The post you responded to is correct.

While Chewie has been up and down in his NHL/AHL career, 716 does have a point when the comparison is to Ellis.

In 84 NHL games Szczechura has a whopping 18pts. Ellis and Szczechura are probably interchangeable when it comes to offense. They are both marginal NHL players.

In 84 NHL games Szczechura has a whopping 18pts. Ellis and Szczechura are probably interchangeable when it comes to offense. They are both marginal NHL players.

Believe me, I don't think Szczechura* will be a star here. But between the two marginals, it's at least worth consideration to go with the hot hand. That's all I'm sayin'.

*My left hand hurts now. I'm calling him Chewie from now on.

Believe me, I don't think Szczechura* will be a star here. But between the two marginals, it's at least worth consideration to go with the hot hand. That's all I'm sayin'.

Copy and paste is your friend. :blush:

Szczechura played the most inspired game I have seen from a Sabre forward all year. He battled on the boards and led to a goal, he was the first forward back in the defensive zone and cleared out multiple Caps with crosschecks and by lifting their sticks, he wasn't afraid to throw a check and his instincts as to where to be on the ice and where to get the puck were beautiful.

He didn't look like Matt Ellis the other night, he looked like a cross of Don Luce and Dale Hawerchuk. He was hungry. I don't care if he isn't a long term answer, if he is the first guy out of the lineup then this team really has no chance.

This "hot hand" thing reminded me of a surprising stat I saw on TSN today:

http://tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=381196

Scroll down to the stats section on shot differential. I don't think anyone would have guessed that.

Scroll down to the stats section on shot differential. I don't think anyone would have guessed that.

:lol:

Say what you want about Matty Ellis, but when he has a shift the puck usually makes it behind the opponents net.

Now if God could just gift him a set of hands.

I mightn't have guessed it, but do shots at the goaltender's pecs, with the goal of a shift change, really count? I'm almost sorry to say it, but I do realize that Ellis gives his entire heart and effort to the team...and it isn't enough. It sux. But it's just not enough. If Stafford gave HALF of the heart and effort that Ellis does, he'd be a freaking all-star. That's so aggravating to type.

I mightn't have guessed it, but do shots at the goaltender's pecs, with the goal of a shift change, really count? I'm almost sorry to say it, but I do realize that Ellis gives his entire heart and effort to the team...and it isn't enough. It sux. But it's just not enough. If Stafford gave HALF of the heart and effort that Ellis does, he'd be a freaking all-star. That's so aggravating to type.

Is it in the 4th line's Job Description to score tons of goals? No. The differential shows, to me, that the 4th line is keeping it in the opposition's zone, which is what is asked of them foremost in the job description, no? Do you think the 4th line (or Matt Ellis specifically) is not scoring enough goals?

Is it in the 4th line's Job Description to score tons of goals? No. The differential shows, to me, that the 4th line is keeping it in the opposition's zone, which is what is asked of them foremost in the job description, no? Do you think the 4th line (or Matt Ellis specifically) is not scoring enough goals?

I think Chewie is as good as Ellis, and has been better in the last two games. That's all I need to make my original point that it's worth a thought to keep Chewie instead of Ellis. And that's really all it was--read up. Jeez.

I think Chewie is as good as Ellis, and has been better in the last two games. That's all I need to make my original point that it's worth a thought to keep Chewie instead of Ellis. And that's really all it was--read up. Jeez.

I agree with the above; it was fun to watch Chewie and the Boys on Saturday.

My post was simply a reaction to the bolded part below:

Perhaps you were just pointing out that we CAN potentially get more by mixing Ellis out with Chewy/whatever. Maybe so, I agree. I was just stipulating that (a) I think that Ellis is doing well in fulfilling his role as a 4th line winger and (b) why that shot differential stat might serve to explain so.

I also initially interpreted your statement "it sux" to be referring to Ellis's "heart and effort", whereas now I think you meant that it sucks that it is not enough? :lol: Apparently I disagree regardless.

Every time I hear Chewy I hear this...

Haha. Every time someone posts THAT clip, I hear this one, which happens to be appropriate for the current Advent season :)

I think you meant that it sucks that it is not enough? :lol: Apparently I disagree regardless.

That's exactly what I mean, maybe it wasn't well-put originally. Ellis has all the heart in the world, and it's not enough to overcome his relative* lack of talent, and that's what sux, because he's the type of guy that everyone (including me) wants to root for.

*I won't pretend that he has no talent. He does. He just doesn't have NHL-starter talent, which still means that he has more hockey talent than 99.9% of the planet.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-sabres-moves

schuzchzara, tropp, and brennan just got demoted... interesting that McNabb remains...

I haven't been thrilled with Tropp....but what a way to award hustle and production....let's send Szczchura down before he even gets to cool down from his shower after sweating out his guts for 60 minutes.

I haven't been thrilled with Tropp....but what a way to award hustle and production....let's send Szczchura down before he even gets to cool down from his shower after sweating out his guts for 60 minutes.

you havent been thrilled with Tropp? He has impressed me thus far. :thumbsup:

but what a way to award hustle and production....let's send Szczchura down before he even gets to cool down from his shower after sweating out his guts for 60 minutes.

I have to say that I agree. It's these kind of moves that lead to dark thoughts on how the current coaching staff can dispirit their players.

I have to say that I agree. It's these kind of moves that lead to dark thoughts on how the current coaching staff can dispirit their players.

He's 25, a natural center, and I rooted harder for that guy in that game than I have any Sabre this year. He just did everything right, and the old school way. He has skill and vision, yet beat our D back on a sprint at times and broke up scoring chances. What more do you need to see on a team that has one natural center who is coming off knee issues?

Sometimes I think Lindy and Darcy couldn't recognize a spark if they were in the executioner's room of a Texas prison.

While Chewie has been up and down in his NHL/AHL career, 716 does have a point when the comparison is to Ellis.

Scoring has been a huge problem all year and I don't understand the hold that players like Ellis. Gaustad, McCormick and Stafford have on Ruff. These players are mediocre forwards. They're supposed to be producing but they don't produce. So I'm not sure why he keeps playing them. Plus Kaleta looks like he's wearing down already this year and Roy looks really out of synch. Not to mention that Leino and Boyes haven't contributed either. There's lots of passengers here and I think Ruff is one one of them.

It was only one game though. They needed to make their paper transaction to send a few guys back this weekend. That move is always going to be the non-waiver guys. He's going to get his shot again, even if it isn't this week.

Archived