Another one bites the dust.

Rabbit151

Mogilny signed with NJ. Hey Darcy, where's that top-flight defenceman you promised? How many games will Numminen play with his health condition?

I read today that Wade Redden is on the trading block....oh, but this is the Buffalo Sabres and they are being prudent and patient. Reports indicated the teams interested were Detroit, Florida and some other team I can't remember. But guess what, it wasn't Buffalo!!

Regier passed on the UFA's saying he could trade for a top defenceman. Well here comes Redden, but what, he's not good enough for the Sabres? He's a top blue-liner who can move the puck, log big minutes, play PP and SH and all on a top-flight team.

If I was living in Buffalo, I'd be outraged that they would even suggest I buy season-tickets. What's the mood like out there? Is there any pressure being put on these clowns at all, or is everyone focused on the Bills right now.

Mogilny signed with NJ. Hey Darcy, where's that top-flight defenceman you promised? How many games will Numminen play with his health condition?

Are you saying that Mogilny is a "top-flight defensemen"? This has to be the most idiotic start to a post I've ever read.

No no no. I just heard the Mogilny report and threw it out there. I know a lot of Sabre fans were hoping he'd sign there. But then I was reminded of how Darcy claims he's grabbing a great defenceman. The same report on Mogilny had the report about Redden too. Just killing 2 birds with one stone. Don't get so excited, remember, you're a Sabres fan, as am I. There's nothing to get excited about with the Sabres.

Yes. Heart ailment. I read in this forum, back when he was first picked-up that it was more serious. Who knows if it's true. If he winds up playing, he'll basically take Zhitnik's place. He'll make more quality plays on the PP for the Sabres, but won't be the lock-down defenceman Zhitnik has evolved into.

Well Regardless... Rabbit makes a point... fact is theres a gapeing hole in the middle of this team... both at the back and front end... numminen is not going to be able to handle it all... and who's going to step up for Satan... Vanek!?!?!? nooo... sure the kid is good but come on!

Well Regardless... Rabbit makes  a point... fact is theres a gapeing hole in the middle of this team... both at the back and front end... numminen is not going to be able to handle it all... and who's going to step up for Satan... Vanek!?!?!? nooo... sure the kid is good but come on!

Admittedly, Zhitnik's minutes and his physical play have to be replaced, but who is going to take his dumb penalties now he's gone to the Isles?

As for Satan's replacement, will Vanek be able to take up the slack and score hat tricks in those 7-1 wins over LA and be AWOL when the going gets tough in big games? Who will take over that role?

:rolleyes:

Admittedly, Zhitnik's minutes and his physical play have to be replaced, but who is going to take his dumb penalties now he's gone to the Isles?

As for Satan's replacement, will Vanek be able to take up the slack and score hat tricks in those 7-1 wins over LA and be AWOL when the going gets tough in big games? Who will take over that role?

:rolleyes:

Real quick on Satan.

Satan 39 GW goals and a +40 life time.

Briere 15 GW goals and a -25 life time.

Tell me again who is better.

Real quick on Satan.

Satan 39 GW goals and a +40 life time.

Briere 15 GW goals and a -25 life time.

Tell me again who is better.

Ever heard the phrase "You're only as good as your last game"? Let alone your last season.

If you want to shed tears that Satan has gone go right ahead, just don't expect me to because I think he's been done (in Buffalo) for two seasons. He's become more and more of a floater in games and in my opinion, he's better off elsewhere so some of our younger guys get a bigger slice of the action.

I'm going to miss Zhitnik's D way more that Satan's pouting, I doubt I'm alone on that one either.

Ever heard the phrase "You're only as good as your last game"? Let alone your last season.

If you want to shed tears that Satan has gone go right ahead, just don't expect me to because I think he's been done (in Buffalo) for two seasons. He's become more and more of a floater in games and in my opinion, he's better off elsewhere so some of our younger guys get a bigger slice of the action.

I'm going to miss Zhitnik's D way more that Satan's pouting, I doubt I'm alone on that one either.

Hmm.

55 goals, 77 assists, 22 power playgoals, and 6 game winning goals for a team that offers very little else as far as offensive talent is a pretty good two year run.

Which of these "younger" players are going to fill the skates?

Vanek? He hasn't even stepped foot on the ice for a NHL game. Expecting him to do anythng but spend a year adjusting to the speed of the game is silly.

Roy? A samll player coming off a head injury. This is who want to bank a season on?

You can dislike Satan. For whatever reason you can come up with. You can even pick out any stretch of games to try to prove your point. You can't get a way from the facts. The Sabres only had three 20 goal scorers and they let one go and brought nothing back in return. That's not just bad hockey, it's bad business.

If it was bad business, how exactly would you have dealt with the Satan situation?

I'm not saying he didn't produce for the Sabres, I just think the time was right for him to move on as he'd gone stale and never really recovered from having the C taken off him during the rotation in the last year.

Now the Sabres have Drury and Briere, Satan becomes less important. He could have reacted in a way that he had less pressure and better players around him, but he didn't. He definitely wasn't a complete enough player to warrent the money he'd have been expecting from a club he'd already resigned himself to leaving.

Let me ask you another thing...

If a team wins 7-1 - just how important is that game-winning goal?

If it was bad business, how exactly would you have dealt with the Satan situation?

I'm not saying he didn't produce for the Sabres, I just think the time was right for him to move on as he'd gone stale and never really recovered from having the C taken off him during the rotation in the last year.

Now the Sabres have Drury and Briere, Satan becomes less important. He could have reacted in a way that he had less pressure and better players around him, but he didn't. He definitely wasn't a complete enough player to warrent the money he'd have been expecting from a club he'd already resigned himself to leaving.

Let me ask you another thing...

If a team wins 7-1 - just how important is that game-winning goal?

Satan?

Simple. You treat your best player like your best player. He should have been the only player to wear the 'C'. Drury and Briere have done squat in a Sabre uniform. Is there a more overrated player then Drury? The guy's best year came with Sakic and Forsberg and he could only muster 24 goals. So expecting Drury or Briere to cover Satan's production is fool hardy.

As far as game winning goals.

7-1? How many times have the Sabres been on the winning end of that score. Once? Twice. Besides that, you don't get to seven until you score the second goal. Then third, fourth and so on. A GW goal is as important in a 7-1 game as it is in a 1-0 game.

So give Satan the C because it makes him play his best.

What about leadership? The team is bigger than one player and I just don't see a temperamental, streaky scorer like Satan as much of a leader. He showed his mettle when he sulked after he lost the C that he knew was to be rotated.

You want that guy to lead your club? :blink:

We'll have to agree to disagree about the game winning goal importance or larger scorelines. I admit that Satan has scored some important goals for the Sabres, but so have a lot of other players.

My point about the big scoreline wins is that the multi goal games in those circumstances pad the stats out to make a player's end of season stats look very flattering. It's all well and good scoring in fits and spurts but you need performances game-in-game out to make a difference of the season.

So give Satan the C because it makes him play his best.

What about leadership? The team is bigger than one player and I just don't see a temperamental, streaky scorer like Satan as much of a leader. He showed his mettle when he sulked after he lost the C that he knew was to be rotated.

You want that guy to lead your club? :blink:

We'll have to agree to disagree about the game winning goal importance or larger scorelines. I admit that Satan has scored some important goals for the Sabres, but so have a lot of other players.

My point about the big scoreline wins is that the multi goal games in those circumstances pad the stats out to make a player's end of season stats look very flattering. It's all well and good scoring in fits and spurts but you need performances game-in-game out to make a difference of the season.

Every goal scorer has meaningless goals. Even The Great One and Super Mario. That is not meant to compare the three.

Think of this.

Satan pouted.

Satan wanted out.

Satan floated.

Satan's heart wasn't in it.

Satan was still the Sabres leading scorer.

Is it not part of a franchises job to get a players head on straight? With all the egos and big money in a locker room shouldn't the Sabres have found a way to make it work. Sure, Satan may have been wrong. He didn't about things the right way. But, hasn't he given this franchise enough that they should have put a bit more effort to make keep him part of a team.

There ias never one side to anything. And I'll grant you all of your points. Grant me this. If it took a 'C' to make your 30-40 goal scorer happy and scoring. Wouldn't it be worth it in the long run?

Every goal scorer has meaningless goals. Even The Great One and Super Mario. That is not meant to compare the three.

Think of this.

Satan pouted.

Satan wanted out.

Satan floated.

Satan's heart wasn't in it.

Satan was still the Sabres leading scorer.

Is it not part of a franchises job to get a players head on straight? With all the egos and big money in a locker room shouldn't the Sabres have found a way to make it work. Sure, Satan may have been wrong. He didn't about things the right way. But, hasn't he given this franchise enough that they should have put a bit more effort to make keep him part of a team.

There ias never one side to anything. And I'll grant you all of your points. Grant me this. If it took a 'C' to make your 30-40 goal scorer happy and scoring. Wouldn't it be worth it in the long run?

Nope. You dont give the C to someone who is not worthy of it. Id rather overpay then give him the C, b/c that sends the wrong message that our leaders can have a poor attitude and effort.

Much like Dary sitting on his arse rt now, sends the wrong message to the fans, team, and the rest of the league.

Is there anyone with w/ any knowledge of the NHL that doesnt believe the Sabes are bush league rt now? I am all for waiting to get players at the rt price, but the only signing we make is a 36 yr old defensemen for a 1 year deal? Pretty bush league.

Teppo in 2004 - 62 games, 3 goals, 14 assists, -5. http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/players/playerpage/19403

Might as well give a guy on the amerks a shot.

Nope. You dont give the C to someone who is not worthy of it. Id rather overpay then give him the C, b/c that sends the wrong message that our leaders can have a poor attitude and effort.

Much like Dary sitting on his arse rt now, sends the wrong message to the fans, team, and the rest of the league.

Is there anyone with w/ any knowledge of the NHL that doesnt believe the Sabes are bush league rt now? I am all for waiting to get players at the rt price, but the only signing we make is a 36 yr old defensemen for a 1 year deal? Pretty bush league.

Teppo in 2004 - 62 games, 3 goals, 14 assists, -5. http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/players/playerpage/19403

Might as well give a guy on the amerks a shot.

True leaders don't need the 'C'.

The Oiler teams of the 80's-90's? Who wore the 'C' and who was the leader?

Archived