The new NHL and how the style of play will change

LabattBlue

Am I the only one who believes the on ice(regulation time) product isn't going to change that much.

1. We've been told in seasons past that the crack down on obstruction is here to stay(and it wasn't)

2. The ice surface is not any bigger, so therefore where is the advantage for the so called skill players?

3. IF(and that's a big if) obstruction is taken out of the game, defensive minded coaches will still come up with a style to play defense first.

So go ahead Darcy and load up the roster with your figure skating, no contact players and let's see how things play out.

Fire away!

Yes, it was clever to have the body-check photos in there. But you know what, we could go back and find 7 or 8 photos of Gretzky dishing a body-check too. Nobody's ever going to confuse him with Dave Schultz.

As a team, the Sabres current roster will be pushed around and beaten badly. Whatever happened to the hard-hat guys from Ted Nolan's era?

Wow, how things have changed. Go back and watch some games from that magical season, the spirit, the work ethic.......they were a team to be proud of.

But, remember, even if this edition of the Sabres is able to match that enthusiasm and work ethic, they will still lose because they have no goalie. Hasek was still the main reason Ted Nolan's boys got as far as they did.

Oh, ya, as I predicted 3 weeks ago, one by one, all these hot-shot, mega-stars scheduled to be free-agents next year are signing multi-year deals with their current clubs. Nice try Darcy, what's your next lie going to be?

I agree, not every Sabre is a grinder, hitter, or fighter. But the players I specifically chose above should bring enough fire and grit to make the Sabres balanced. The Sabres are not all pansy-.

For the record, Tim Connolly is 100% pansy-ass.

:lol: :lol: That we definitely agree on!

I'm glad we kept Peters over Boulton. Grier and McKee are tough. Really miss Warrener though. Man, he would fight anybody. Brad Brown too; he was physical. Too bad we let him walk.

How about Hecht? He's tough and not afraid to drop the gloves.

I agree with the Peters comment. Connolly too. I don't think Hecht has ever been in a fight. I like Hecht, though, he's a quality player.

There is a chance the Sabres will have some fighter spirit to them and a good work ethic. I keep saying it is wasted with these goalies. The goalies we have are simply not good enough to carry a team. As much as I'm rooting for Ryan Miller, I think he'll be a bust.

You know what's sick about this? Biron makes over 2 million a year. Today. Phoenix signs Cujo to a 1 year, 900,000 $ deal. With a young team like Buffalo, Cujo is the perfect fit.

The Sabres will give up a lot of shots, and that's when Cujo is at his best. He could have brought respectability to this team. He's a reflex goalie who will adjust to the smaller equipment and new rules much better than most goalies.

Once again, Sabres management has pooed the bed.

You make some good valid points. Just what the hell are we doing with Biron still and why haven't we figured out the damn 3 headed goalie situation? Package some guys up and get a defensman.

The Sabres have to give Miller a chance to start consistently. It was kinda premature to throw him in the fire without a solid year in ROC under his belt. I'm betting he comes around and plays solid. Lets hope I'm right for BUFs sake.

I don't think Hecht has ever been in a fight. I like Hecht, though, he's a quality player.

Actually he has. Nothing of notable interest since that isn't his style, but check out hockeyfights.com. It states he's had a few.

Archived