Sabes roster is set

Larry Playfair

It's funny how everyone forgets that Miro was on our Penalty Killing team for many years.

I haven't forgotten, and I do like him, always have. But to anoint him best player? I don't agree. Plain and simple best in my mind is more than what Miro was in the past few years.

Keep drinking the kool-aid man.

Zhitnik was your workhorse. He was the guy you put on the ice to neutralize the best players in the league. He's one of the few guys in the league that super stars have flat out pointed out as being nearly impossible to play against. He never lived up to his offensive potential, but his stellar defense more than made up for it.

As for Satan, whether you like it or not, he was by far our best forward. Other teams keyed in specially on him and this belief that he scored only in meaningless games was overblown. I believe some reporter did the research and found that most of his goals came during tied games or when the Sabres were up or down one goal. There may be five guys in the league that consistantly score more goals then Miro in the past five seasons. Lindy played head games with him and that didn't help. Lindy would have played head games with Gretzky too if he were on his team.

But I'm dillusional, right? Vanek will step right into the NHL and replace him, 40 goals easy! Kalinin will single handly carry our defense. Teppo is our savorior! I need more Kool-Aid! Sabres 82-0!

I'm sick of the future, I'm sick of hearing we have a great young team. I heard that two years ago.

Awesome post and I edpsecially love your last sentence....its just getting old hearing about "the future"..or "oh just wait in 2 years"...

Here is my stance:

If the Sabres have a plan for the next season to open the wallets, then Ill understand what they didnt do this offseason. But IMO because now so many teams are on an more even financial level...this was a GREAT opportunity for the Sabres to captialize and round out their roster...but alas they did not.

Guest Loopey

Nobody knows what strategy will work with so many changes on and away from the ice. If Sabres are being conservative, can you blame them? Think about it. They were an improving team (Playoff contenders) with the youngest team in the league two years ago. All those young stars are back, hopefully entering their prime. If their payroll is this low as they near the trade deadline, they will most likely be in the best position for trades than most other teams (factoring the cap) to help for the playoff run when it counts.

Making moves then is far less risky than what some of these teams are trying to do now. BTW, how the hell are ALL the other teams around them getting better? If other teams are getting better, it is at the expense of other teams getting weaker. I believe they call that parity. Players are just moving to different teams who have lost their players to free agency.

One thing is for sure, when Miro turned the switch on, he was outstanding, but most of the time it was not on. Furthermore, that doesn't fly with the coach AND the other players on the team. He doesn't fit.

Because I don't accept failure, I can't cheer for this team? Did I say I was not going to root for the team? I don't like the moves that have been made but that doesn't mean I'm not going to follow the team and hope for the best.

BTW... Z got 3.2 million which is a bargain for a player of his type. And Miro would have signed the qualifying offer.

Yes great bargain!

3.2 million for his stupid penalties and 40 foot wide shots!!!!

One of the best players in the game just signed for 4 mil a year. (Heatley had signed a three-year deal in Ottawa worth $13.5 million.)

They overpaid for shitnik, no question about it.

Overpaid?

$4 million for a player that will eat up over 1/4 of your defensive minutes is over paid? If you want to know what over paid looks like take a closer look at Connolly.

I've already started my "I told you so." post. A great number are in for a hugh surprise when it turns out the Sabres can't fill that void. Many will be sitting at home watching the games wishing the Sabres had a smoth skateing d-man to rush the puck in the "New" NHL.

Not only will Zhitnik be a force on the Islanders. He will be mentioned for the Norris Trophy. After Kalinin the Sabres have nothing on the blue line (is there still a blue line?). A poor defense that was masked by Zhitnik's ability to eat up minutes will be exposed. I'm not sure what the record for most goals against is. It is a record that should fall this season.

Not a chance.

Your contrived embellishments are very transparent.

Look who's mom bought him a book with the big words in it :P

All I can say is sit back and watch. I am looking forward to the postings of many of you once the season begins. As this team falls out of the playoffs early yet again many off you will see the light. It is nice to see that writers like Tim Graham and Jerry Sullivan are able to sit back see what's going on with the Sabres.

Here's another quick prediction for you. With a three year deal Hecht becomes very trade friendly. Once the Sabres are out of the playoffs his contract will be the first to be moved out. You can write in McKee's name next on to that list to go after Hecht.

All I can say is sit back and watch. I am looking forward to the postings of many of you once the season begins. As this team falls out of the playoffs early yet again many off you will see the light.

If that is the case, I will be not necessarily be happy to admit I am wrong, but I will. Of course, you've got it easy... If you are wrong, as a Sabres fan, you are still happy... ;)

Archived