Sabes roster is set

Larry Playfair

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050816/1064670.asp

Restricted free agent forward Jochen Hecht agreed Monday to terms on a three-year deal with the Buffalo Sabres, preventing him from becoming an unrestricted free agent after the 2005-06 NHL season. Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier also announced that 11 other players have accepted qualifying offers.

The Sabres have their team locked in for next season with the exception of veteran defenseman Jay McKee. McKee wants a long-term deal and did not accept his qualifying offer. He will become an unrestricted free agent after this season unless he signs a multi-year contract.

"I think (these signings are) terrific for the hockey team given the amount of time off that we've had," Regier said. "What it means is that our team, for the most part . . . is set going into training camp."

Also signing with the Sabres were: forwards Daniel Briere, J.P. Dumont, Maxim Afinogenov, Tim Connolly, Milan Bartovic, Ales Kotalik, Jason Pominville, Paul Gaustad and Michael Ryan, and defensemen Henrik Tallinder and Jeff Jillson.

What was our record after Jan 1 last year? That should give a good indication of what this team can do. We need to resolve the goalie situation too.

What our record was in 2004 means nothing because the teams around us have gotten better and we've lost our best foward and our best defenseman, both to a team we will compete with to get into the playoffs.

They need to replace Miro and Z or we're be lucky if we can be in a spot to get into the playoffs come April.

Yea theres still 2 huge gaps in our team... bascially what PTS said... Miro and Z. Numinen might be a good repacelment for Mckee in terms of caliber but not for Zhitnik i don't think. I hope they don't expect poor vanek to fill Satan's shoes... anyone smell a repeat of the Hasek, Biron situation... alot of pressure if thats whats to happen.

It should be a fun young team to watch. The average age of our current roster is 26.44 years.

The oldest players are Numminen (37), Taylor (33), Drury (28), Biron (28).

The youngest players are MacArthur (20), Roy (22), Gaustad (23), Pyatt (23).

According to average team ages from 2002, this would put us as the second youngest team in the league (Florida was youngest at the time, probably not the case this year.)

They have lost their 2 best players in Satan and Zhitnik???

Who are you and what drugs are you on?

Satan, if he was their best player, wouldn't have been put on the 4th line time and time again for his lack of effort. Markus Naslund will never see the 4th line. Neither will Forsberg, or Sakic, or Iginla (all best players on their respective teams)

Zhitnik was their best defenceman?? Granted he had a lot of ice time, but what happened to the guy who was supposed to put up 40 + points per year?? All I remember was Zhitnik making guys in front of the net duck for cover. I remember the years, that's right YEARS, where the guy did nothing but take stupid penalties.

Zhitnik wasn't their player any longer. He was UFA and left. They offered him $16 million over 4 years, he declined. That was overpaying already. They made a business decision on Satan. They let him go and now others will fill his spot nicely I'm sure. Yes, he had pure skill, WHEN he wanted to use it. The guy served his purpose and they got a lot out of him, but it was time for him to go.

Buffalo has a good young team, that is building chemistry. Those 2 can go.

People who think losing those two are dillusional.

"I think (these signings are) terrific for the hockey team given the amount of time off that we've had," Regier said. "What it means is that our team, for the most part . . . is set going into training camp."

What the owner said...

The Sabres believe they can be competitive with a projected payroll in the range of $27 million to $29 million. That's less than the $33 million payroll the team had in 2003-04, when it reported about $7 million in losses and still missed the playoffs.

Assuming the Undiscloseds on tsn are ~500k, they must plan on McKee making ~$5M to get them to the $27M range Golisano said they would be at... <_<

I just don't believe they are done yet...

Satan, if he was their best player, wouldn't have been put on the 4th line time and time again for his lack of effort. Markus Naslund will never see the 4th line. Neither will Forsberg, or Sakic, or Iginla (all best players on their respective teams)

Zhitnik was their best defenceman?? Granted he had a lot of ice time, but what happened to the guy who was supposed to put up 40 + points per year?? All I remember was Zhitnik making guys in front of the net duck for cover. I remember the years, that's right YEARS, where the guy did nothing but take stupid penalties.

Zhitnik wasn't their player any longer. He was UFA and left. They offered him $16 million over 4 years, he declined. That was overpaying already. They made a business decision on Satan. They let him go and now others will fill his spot nicely I'm sure. Yes, he had pure skill, WHEN he wanted to use it. The guy served his purpose and they got a lot out of him, but it was time for him to go.

Keep drinking the kool-aid man.

Zhitnik was your workhorse. He was the guy you put on the ice to neutralize the best players in the league. He's one of the few guys in the league that super stars have flat out pointed out as being nearly impossible to play against. He never lived up to his offensive potential, but his stellar defense more than made up for it.

As for Satan, whether you like it or not, he was by far our best forward. Other teams keyed in specially on him and this belief that he scored only in meaningless games was overblown. I believe some reporter did the research and found that most of his goals came during tied games or when the Sabres were up or down one goal. There may be five guys in the league that consistantly score more goals then Miro in the past five seasons. Lindy played head games with him and that didn't help. Lindy would have played head games with Gretzky too if he were on his team.

But I'm dillusional, right? Vanek will step right into the NHL and replace him, 40 goals easy! Kalinin will single handly carry our defense. Teppo is our savorior! I need more Kool-Aid! Sabres 82-0!

I'm sick of the future, I'm sick of hearing we have a great young team. I heard that two years ago.

Guest punch imlach

It seems to me that the Sabres are true contenders to win the AHL, and are still a non-playoff team in the NHL.

The good news is they saved more money. The bad news is they are losing ground to the rest of the league. Good business?

I'm sick of the future, I'm sick of hearing we have a great young team. I heard that two years ago.

Here's an idea then.

Don't support them anymore if you're so sick of them.

But, when they turn the corner, do not under any circumstances come back rooting and tooting.

If you're sick. Move on.

This team will be better off without a floater like Satan. Guys like Roy and Vanek don't need to watch a guy go through the motions when they're being paid like royalty.

Zhitnik chose to leave. Get over it. If you think Buffalo should have paid him more than the $4 million per, then I'm certainly glad it's not my money you're playing with. He left, and maybe you should leave with him. They're both on the NYI so that can be your new team.

But remember, you leave, you don't come back cheering that the Sabres are your team.

But remember, you leave, you don't come back cheering that the Sabres are your team.

Because I don't accept failure, I can't cheer for this team? Did I say I was not going to root for the team? I don't like the moves that have been made but that doesn't mean I'm not going to follow the team and hope for the best.

BTW... Z got 3.2 million which is a bargain for a player of his type. And Miro would have signed the qualifying offer.

But I'm dillusional, right? Vanek will step right into the NHL and replace him, 40 goals easy!

If Vanek scores 40 goals it will more than 10 goals more that Satan scored in his last two seasons with the Sabres...

He hit the 40 goal mark once in 98-99.

Actually, we've been hearing that since Ted was coach... ;)

I cant say how many ties i screamed at the TV (I live in Calif) at Satan failing to backcheck, or Zhitnik taknig a dumb penalty.

Satant was a floater, and i would have liked to see him stay, but at a lower rpice.

Zhitnik was a good defensemen, probably one of the better players on our team, but I dnot think we need to lock him up for 4 more years.

I'm happy with our team. Would i have loved to grab some of those top FA's - helllll yes. But we are not 2 players away. I also think its sound to evaluate how the league will shake out after the new no-clutch no-obstruction rules are in place. With our young roster getting experience for 1 more year, I think we can go shopping next year knowing how the officals will call games, knowing whether speed will be higher valued than other skills, knowing who our goalie of the future will be, also knowing what we need to take the next step - which is a playoff run.

The only way we add anything other than a "bob corkum" to this roster this year is through a trade of one of our goalies.

Go sabes!!!

If Vanek scores 40 goals it will more than 10 goals more that Satan scored in his last two seasons with the Sabres...

If Vanek scores 30 this year, I'll send my friend Rick to a game this year.

No one on the Sabres will have more goals than Miro will have for the Isles this year. No One!

I cant say how many ties i screamed at the TV (I live in Calif) at Satan failing to backcheck, or Zhitnik taknig a dumb penalty.

Satant was a floater, and i would have liked to see him stay, but at a lower rpice.

Zhitnik was a good defensemen, probably one of the better players on our team, but I dnot think we need to lock him up for 4 more years.

I'm happy with our team. Would i have loved to grab some of those top FA's - helllll yes. But we are not 2 players away. I also think its sound to evaluate how the league will shake out after the new no-clutch no-obstruction rules are in place. With our young roster getting experience for 1 more year, I think we can go shopping next year knowing how the officals will call games, knowing whether speed will be higher valued than other skills, knowing who our goalie of the future will be, also knowing what we need to take the next step - which is a playoff run.

The only way we add anything other than a "bob corkum" to this roster this year is through a trade of one of our goalies.

Go sabes!!!

sorry, i failed to log in, but this was my post.

If Vanek scores 30 this year, I'll send my friend Rick to a game this year.

No one on the Sabres will have more goals than Miro will have for the Isles this year. No One!

Well that depends on whether Zhitnik takes him out or not... :D

Seriously, Briere, Dumont or Afinogenov could easily score more than Miro...

And like I said, I'm not convinced they are done, yet...

Who knows? Maybe we pick up Mogilny again...

If only they'd pick up #89 again. that would be a dream come true for me.

TPS,

If Vanek scores 30, I'll be glad to go to a game on you. However, don't forget the air fare from Kelowna BC Canada, round trip please.

If only they'd pick up #89 again. that would be a dream come true for me.

PTS

If Vanek scores 30, I'll be glad to go to a game on you. However, don't forget the air fare from Kelowna BC Canada, round trip please.

You can pass the stuff you are smoking over here to the left. Like someone said, whether you liked him or not, poor defense and all, Satan was the best player on this team. I'm sure alot of Satan's declining numbers was playing on a team that didn't seem committed to winning. It'll be real interesting to see what numbers he puts up in NY. I have a feeling he's going to have a really good year.

You can pass the stuff you are smoking over here to the left. Like someone said, whether you liked him or not, poor defense and all, Satan was the best player on this team. I'm sure alot of Satan's declining numbers was playing on a team that didn't seem committed to winning. It'll be real interesting to see what numbers he puts up in NY. I have a feeling he's going to have a really good year.

Best player? Wouldn't the best player have to play both ends of the ice? Be a team player? Give all he has night after night? Sorry Satan doesn't fit that bill.

Sure he was great at padding his numbers when the Sabres had a commanding lead, but how often could you count on him when you really needed him?

I will take Briere any day!

Best player? Wouldn't the best player have to play both ends of the ice? Be a team player? Give all he has night after night? Sorry Satan doesn't fit that bill.

Sure he was great at padding his numbers when the Sabres had a commanding lead, but how often could you count on him when you really needed him?

How often did the Sabres have a "commanding lead"?

It's funny how everyone forgets that Miro was on our Penalty Killing team for many years.

You just summed up half the marquee players in the league. I guess the superstars in the league really aren't superstars since most are a defensive liability. :rolleyes:

Archived