F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

I don't think I've ever felt this at peace with where my life is. It sucks being far from my girlfriend, friends, and family, but I'm going home in 2 weeks for as long as I feel like, I was visited by my girlfriend two weeks ago, so I've seen her 5 times for almost 7 weeks total since August, which is much more than I thought would be possible. After an initial struggle with the level of physics I was faced with, I've adjusted, and I'm not great still but I'm getting through these classes and exams comfortably so far. I spent years dreading grad school and assuming I was going to fail and embarrass myself, and I'm not a superstar, but I am not a failure yet. So that fear I've basically had subconsciously for the past 5 years of my life is gone. 

I guess I've spent all of my life feeling like I'm waiting, stressing, and preparing for something. But now I feel really settled down, like I'm where I need to be, and that I'm doing something that will be worthwhile and help me lead a hopefully comfortable life. 

It helps that it's been sunny and 70 degrees here at least 75% of the time since February ended. 

I don't even care that the Bills spent 2 second rounders to move up and draft my least favorite football prospect I've ever watched. 

Proud of you dude. It's so tough when you can't get comfortable. 

Giant fist bump for Randall. I suspect that your stomach is feeling better as well.

High five for NS. A hectic pace can be fun, but not nearly as fun as throttling down.

This is my first 40 hr week in 3 months. The buzz is wearing off and I’m beginning to feel like a real person.

After 30 years of riding a motorcycle without a license, I’ve finally wised up and am taking the ridiculous Basic rider/waiver course this weekend. At my age, I have no one who wouldn’t be terribly inconvenienced to take time from a workday to follow me to the damn DMV so I can take a road test.

We boys from up North are used to that rebel fur trader vibe. I think I’m being civilized by WNY.

Why would my phone think fur reader makes more sense than fur trader?

Edited by Ogre

• 2 weeks later...

My stepmom finally got an entry level job in the field she's being trying to break into since she finished her degree a few years ago. The hours suck, but it's a foot in the door and I hope she enjoys the work.

Also, I now have a hammock for my balcony. I'm pretty sure we could de-escalate things with North Korea if someone just sent Kim Jong Un one of those things.

Edited by biodork

My stepmom finally got an entry level job in the field she's being trying to break into since she finished her degree a few years ago. The hours suck, but it's a foot in the door and I hope she enjoys the work.

Also, I now have a hammock for my balcony. I'm pretty sure we could de-escalate things with North Korea if someone just sent Kim Jong Un one of those things.

You know, I have no idea why we don’t all have hammocks. My buddy has one in his bedroom. It serves as his spare bed when friends stay the night. But he’ll sleep in it himself many nights instead of his bed. And I see why- it is awesome!

And good news about the job ???????? Even if the hours suck for awhile, hopefully it’ll be a stepping stone to something even better down the line. Experience is experience!

I’m un-fantastic news, but news you personally will appreciate... my wife’s lab just lost two techs. One quit and one retired (deservedly so from the stories I hear). Also, a grant fell through and they didn’t have funding to take a first-year student this year. So things have been pretty busy and will only stay that way. Oh well, off to NYC this weekend, so I’ll stop thinking about my work or hers :)

You know, I have no idea why we don’t all have hammocks. My buddy has one in his bedroom. It serves as his spare bed when friends stay the night. But he’ll sleep in it himself many nights instead of his bed. And I see why- it is awesome!

And good news about the job Even if the hours suck for awhile, hopefully it’ll be a stepping stone to something even better down the line. Experience is experience!

I’m un-fantastic news, but news you personally will appreciate... my wife’s lab just lost two techs. One quit and one retired (deservedly so from the stories I hear). Also, a grant fell through and they didn’t have funding to take a first-year student this year. So things have been pretty busy and will only stay that way. Oh well, off to NYC this weekend, so I’ll stop thinking about my work or hers :)

Had to wait a week to respond to this, lol.  Hammocks are the best.  The spare bed is a neat idea!

My stepmom is really liking the new job so far, even though it's definitely an adjustment schedule-wise.  Really proud of her for making this happen and being positive about the situation; I'm not sure I could work 11pm-7am at 57 years old!!

That's a bummer about your wife's lab... hopefully they have better luck on the next grant cycle!

Bonus fantastic Friday: starting tomorrow, I am on vacation for an entire week.  My best friend from back east is coming to visit from Sat-Friday and then the bf if coming Fri-Sun.   :)

I know it's supposed to be Fantastic Friday, but the news of Anthony Bourdain's suicide today is just too much. Bourdain was a genuinely good dude, which is a really hard reputation to build when you're a celebrity who is on the road and working as much as he was. He leaves behind an 11 year old daughter and a legacy of being a super empathetic journalist and champion of this planet's diversity. Such a loss for the world. 

I know it's supposed to be Fantastic Friday, but the news of Anthony Bourdain's suicide today is just too much. Bourdain was a genuinely good dude, which is a really hard reputation to build when you're a celebrity who is on the road and working as much as he was. He leaves behind an 11 year old daughter and a legacy of being a super empathetic journalist and champion of this planet's diversity. Such a loss for the world. 

Agreed - he seemed like he was the kind of guy you could run into at a bar, have a drink, a nosh and a great conversation with even if you didn't know him. He will be sorely missed. 

Heading out tonight for a week long trip through Colorado (Denver, Vail, Aspen). Really looking forward to getting away from work and having a good time. Highlights include hiking, brewery tours, baseball game, dinner and drinks and oh yeah... the mother funking Aspen Food & Wine Festival.

:flirt:

Heading out tonight for a week long trip through Colorado (Denver, Vail, Aspen). Really looking forward to getting away from work and having a good time. Highlights include hiking, brewery tours, baseball game, dinner and drinks and oh yeah... the mother funking Aspen Food & Wine Festival.

:flirt:

Have fun, man! It's freaking hot out here right now, but it'll be much more comfortable in the mountains.

Have fun, man! It's freaking hot out here right now, but it'll be much more comfortable in the mountains.

Yes preparing myself mentally for the 90+ degree days and the impact of the elevation. Here's hoping we have a good time and don't just die from exhaustion...

Yes preparing myself mentally for the 90+ degree days and the impact of the elevation. Here's hoping we have a good time and don't just die from exhaustion...

Just make a concerted effort to drink lots of water inbetween beers and you should be okay; dehydration will make the effects of altitude worse. Some of my friends have found that taking ibuprofen before hiking helps with the headaches caused by mild brain swelling, too.

Just make a concerted effort to drink lots of water inbetween beers and you should be okay; dehydration will make the effects of altitude worse. Some of my friends have found that taking ibuprofen before hiking helps with the headaches caused by mild brain swelling, too.

Yep, it's all about hydration in Colorado. In my many years living there (mostly in Boulder) I'd drink water all day every day and sleep with a humidifier.

…I now live below sea level in the most humid and rainiest city in the US.  :D

I am honoured to be able to bump this thread up by saying Eid Mubarak.

Ramadan ended yesterday at sunset and I miss it already.

Neither of us felt up to Eid Prayers this morning.  After a month of very early mornings and late nights it is hard to do it one more day for Eid Prayers that are always anticipated, but seldom deliver the anticipation, if you know what I mean.

Not sure how active I will be and how available will be to catch up over the next while.  So, could someone give a brief briefing on any excitement around here.

I see that Ovi and the Caps finally have their Cup.  I am happy for him.