F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

Sheesh, almost 3pm EST and no one has posted here yet?? Come on, people! :P

I'm pretty excited that I don't have to get up early tomorrow. Also happy/relieved that the construction the floor above us is finished for the day, so it no longer sounds as though someone is going to come crashing through the ceiling onto my desk.

Edited by biodork

Sheesh, almost 3pm EST and no one has posted here yet?? Come on, people! :P

I'm pretty excited that I don't have to get up early tomorrow. Also happy/relieved that the construction the floor above us is finished for the day, so it no longer sounds as though someone is going to come crashing through the ceiling onto my desk.

No one wants to be the first to be happy.

No one wants to be the first to be happy.

Like bragging about a big bonus at a funeral.

I assumed it had more to do with people still enjoying complaining about the game last night, but hey, I guess I'll be that guy (girl). ;)

Uh, where to begin: Mario Williams, 70 ###### degrees, St. Patty's day on a Saturday w/ 70 degrees (the downside to that: pasty heavy set drunk women showing WAAAAAY too much skin at the parade(s)), and planning to take the afternoon off to clear debris from my land and maybe have a bit of a bonfire.

Friends coming over for an Irish dinner this evening. Beer will pour, whiskey will be drunk. and with the weather we're having cigars will be lit on the deck.

It's been way too long in coming.

Edited by weave

The warm weather is finally here - going tomorrow to arrange to get my motorcycle out of winter storage. The weather looks awesome for next week (and the rain has washed the residual salt off the road). Plus, my tax refund came just in time to buy me upgraded speakers for the bike. I love listening to tunes as I ride through the countryside...

Digitizing and dumping of our entire DVD collection.

On our desktop computer, we have a grand total of 7.5TB of storage, split over 6 drives. 3 2TB drives, 3 500GB drives. 1 drive is dedicated to movies for our home theater network. We've had over 300 movies kicking around in DVD/BD format for years--yea, decades. Over the course of the last several months, I've been ripping them to this drive. It's been a labor-intensive effort, but it is done.

Right now, an overwhelming vast majority of our movie discs are sitting at the local exchange shop, awaiting to be checked and tallied for a cash offer. I have an idea of what they'll fetch, but realistically speaking, I'm just happy to have them gone. At this point, I'm past keeping movies on disc when there are so many various ways to store them withouth taking up a lot of shelf space. I'd rather do that and have a more clean looking environment than have them kicking around. AND the beauty is that ANY of these movies can be played on our TV, or on our iPhones (not AirPlay; Air Video). If you're not familiar with it, I'd highly recommend checking it out.

I know this post is a bit old, but I had to put in my 2 cents. I had the idea of doing this myself BUT then I thought;

1) I'll never get back the time spent ripping the discs. That is, when I want to watch a movie the time spent getting into the computer, finding the movie and playing it versus popping the disc in the player is about the same. Why do more work to rip the discs?

2) After year of working in computer support, I know disk drives go bad when it is least convenient. So, then you need to back up your movie drive, which takes more time and more hard drives. (Or you could retain the discs as a backup, in which case, why rip them to the drive in the first place?).

3) If you want to save space, buy one (or more) disc albums. These have plastic sleeves (like pages in a loose-leaf binder) that hold 4-8 discs in one sleeve. You can put an entire collection into two or three albums which will take up just a bit of space on a bookshelf and (if you are OCD like me) they'll be in alphabetical order by genre, so that title will be easy to find.

4) Having the movies stored digitally will allow you to watch them on your phone, tablet, etc. But, I paid good money for my 54" plasma TV and my surround sound system. I want the full movie experience. I watched one movie on my iPod Touch and swore I wouldn't do it again. If I want to watch a movie on a laptop while traveling, I can just toss the disc in the case.

5) Some of the recent movie releases come with a DVD, Blu-Ray and a digital copy that you can download. I have several flicks on my laptop and phone, although I can't tell you when I would ever actually watch a whole two hour movie on such a small screen.

Sometimes being able to do something doesn't necessarily mean you have to do it.... :)

We host our annual St. Patrick's Day party tomorrow. It gets bigger each and every year, I think we are expecting in the neighborhood of 60-70 people at my place. I went to the store yesterday and picked up all the fixins, including 15 corned beef briskets. With the NCAA tournament, the Sabres game and all the guiness and jameson flowing I fully expect to get a visit from the police at some point tomorrow. The irish music playlist is set and ready to go, starting with... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v4eXaVkHc4&feature=BFa&list=AVGxdCwVVULXcxVZVCVA3Y9hvj4bOjsRdV&lf=list_related

Edited by Claude_Verret

Hard Cider is fantastic. Pick up a six pack of Angry Orchard Traditional, if you get a chance. Hard Cider is what Mike's Hard Lemonade spends millions of dollars pretending to be like. Good hard cider, is already manly, and is more delicious than finer wines, imo, and you don't need to be a snob to enjoy it.

Don't mix cider with beer, though, in any drinking session. Through some strange chemistry, the combination gives you an Old English 40 type of drunk. The mixture, called a "snake bite," in England, is actually banned in many English Pubs because of the bad judgement it is thought to induce. Anyone who has had a bad night on malt liquor knows what i'm'a talkin' about. ;)

Hard Cider is fantastic. Pick up a six pack of Angry Orchard Traditional, if you get a chance. Hard Cider is what Mike's Hard Lemonade spends millions of dollars pretending to be like. Good hard cider, is already manly, and is more delicious than finer wines, imo, and you don't need to be a snob to enjoy it.

Don't mix cider with beer, though, in any drinking session. Through some strange chemistry, the combination gives you an Old English 40 type of drunk. The mixture, called a "snake bite," in England, is actually banned in many English Pubs because of the bad judgement it is thought to induce. Anyone who has had a bad night on malt liquor knows what i'm'a talkin' about. ;)

Thanks. Now I'm going to HAVE to try this.

Where in Holland are you? - beautiful country out that way.

Is that restaurant at the intersection of 16 and N. Protection still there?

Edited by korab rules

Thanks. Now I'm going to HAVE to try this.

Where in Holland are you? - beautiful country out that way.

Is that restaurant at the intersection of 16 and N. Protection still there?

The Windmill. Yes it's still there. My mother used to work there in the late 60's.

I live in the village of Holland, but have a farm up on Vermont Hill.

It's beautiful, in the hills. Some of the views are breathtaking, as they say, but can be lonely when you're used to living in Buffalo. I lived on the West Side on Fargo and Jersey. I have fond memories of walking down to the breakwall with friends to watch the waves on windy nights.

Edited by Yuri Olesha

The Windmill. Yes it's still there. My mother used to work there in the late 60's.

It's beautiful, in the hills. Some of the views are breathtaking, as they say, but can be lonely when you're used to living in Buffalo. I lived on the West Side on Fargo and Jersey. I have fond memories of walking down to the breakwall with friends to watch the waves on windy nights.

Man, I miss the lake,.. and those hills (see avatar).

While putting on my seven year old's diaper on to get ready for bed (yes, you read that right), unprompted, she grabbed her toothbrush off of the counter and brushed her teeth by herself, both sides, top and bottom. I almost sh!t myself. F'N fantastic. Having a martini to celebrate.

Small world. I used to hunt on property on Vermont Hill road. Gorgeous area.

Man, I miss the lake,.. and those hills (see avatar).

While putting on my seven year old's diaper on to get ready for bed (yes, you read that right), unprompted, she grabbed her toothbrush off of the counter and brushed her teeth by herself, both sides, top and bottom. I almost sh!t myself. F'N fantastic. Having a martini to celebrate.

I see your 20a hills from my hills. It's like we just missed out on being finger lakes. Enjoy your martini. Sounds like you've earned it.

Small world. I used to hunt on property on Vermont Hill road. Gorgeous area.

Some sort of Buffalo Hunting Club? If so, very small world.

Some sort of Buffalo Hunting Club? If so, very small world.

My dad worked with a guy who's father owned a dairy farm on Vermont Hill Rd. We hunted with several of dad's co-workers on that land until the landowner passed away.