F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

4 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

My wife and I have been under a huge amount of stress for the last year and last  months especially.  That is not the fantastic part.

The fantastic part is ...

Tomorrow is my 55th birthday, which is OK.  Tomorrow will also mark one year since I quit smoking.  Fantastic, if I do say so myself.

If all the stress of the last 6 months has not lead to my taking it up again I really think that nothing will.  That said, it is an ongoing work in progress.

I have not been very tempted, but in those few instances my wife really helped me through them.  I had promised her last October 5th that I will not take it up again and for all my faults I am a man of my word and not just to her.  After almost 31 years, many of which have not been easy, I would merry her all over again in a second.

Happy Birthday kid. 

I wish I could quit, just don't have your conviction.

Married 29yrs but also lived together for 4 more. would also do it again in a heartbeat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Happy Birthday kid. 

I wish I could quit, just don't have your conviction.

Married 29yrs but also lived together for 4 more. would also do it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks.

I just picked a significant date and said to myself that's it.  I was not a heavy smoker, only 5 smokes a day at the time last year.  I had quit for about 20 years when were first married and took it up again during an extremely stressful time ... my wife was basically held hostage in Sarajevo in 2005 and we had to hire and trust a Croatian thug / gangster to smuggle her out and into Croatia.  Anyway ... picking a significant day (birthday, or something) may work for you.

The folks around here really helped with support and one thing that @SwampD said really stands out ... he said what helped him was thinking of himself as a non-smoker and after the first week that thought in my head carried me through to now.

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Thanks.

I just picked a significant date and said to myself that's it.  I was not a heavy smoker, only 5 smokes a day at the time last year.  I had quit for about 20 years when were first married and took it up again during an extremely stressful time ... my wife was basically held hostage in Sarajevo in 2005 and we had to hire and trust a Croatian thug / gangster to smuggle her out and into Croatia.  Anyway ... picking a significant day (birthday, or something) may work for you.

The folks around here really helped with support and one thing that @SwampD said really stands out ... he said what helped him was thinking of himself as a non-smoker and after the first week that thought in my head carried me through to now.

Thanks for the advice, maybe I'll give it a try again sometime soon.

Sorry to hear about the Mrs and can only assume that all went well (so to speak as I don't know  the circumstance). She's with you and you said you would do it again so she must be a wonderful woman. Must have been hard on you both.

Your story sounds like a quote I read once....not sure of the author but:

"Good things come to those who believe, better things come to those who are patient, and the best things come to those who don't give up."

• Like (+1) 1

Hitting the road for Detroit in a few hours with @josie, @sabills and his wife, to see the Black Keys. The four of us haven't road-tripped in forever.

We're going to get to spend tomorrow exploring Detroit too, which I'm excited to do since I haven't been there since RIT went to the Frozen Four back in 2010.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This is my last working Friday, I will retire next Friday. If anybody thinks I'm going to do any work next Friday, they're crazier than me. In fact I may not do any work all of next week also but I may clean up my desk. I tell you what, it's a bit surreal sending out announcement/good-bye emails, I won't miss work but letting people you may or may not have seen in a while know that they touched your life in some meaningful way is good for the soul and having those same people respond back in the same way, I have to admit to fighting back the tears a couple of times. This truly is a Fantastic Friday for me. My biggest fear is gaining about 25lbs. in the next week with all the lunch/dinner/drinking invitations I've received the past few days.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

Bachelorette Party this weekend.

I need 3 days of sleep, not partying, and since I don't really drink anymore... I'll be the one snoozing in the corner of the winery.

Say, do you think they'd make fun of me if I showed up with heating pads and icy hot patches and my foam roller? We're getting too old for weekend long bonanzas. By the time I get married we'll be to the werthers and polident gift bags... 

• Haha (+1) 2

On 10/25/2019 at 9:53 AM, josie said:

Bachelorette Party this weekend.

I need 3 days of sleep, not partying, and since I don't really drink anymore... I'll be the one snoozing in the corner of the winery.

Say, do you think they'd make fun of me if I showed up with heating pads and icy hot patches and my foam roller? We're getting too old for weekend long bonanzas. By the time I get married we'll be to the werthers and polident gift bags... 

Wow, it has been awhile.

So... that bachelorette party was actually incredibly relaxing. With the exception of me and one other, everyone was married, so everyone was super chilled out, we did goat yoga... and it was the most beautiful fall weather in the finger lakes that whole weekend. Everyone was in bed by 1am. Such hard partiers (these folks USED to be party hardy, so I was worried).

Goat yoga. Yes. Most millennial thing I've ever done but also really wonderful. The homestead it was on was amazing- I could live out with some goats in the hills and be pretty happy.

But in current news, figured out some previously impossible moves on trapeze, coding is sort of making sense, and I have xanax to get me through thanksgiving if need be...

75543489_10215803167658622_8160945261246414848_o.jpg

73234813_10215803166978605_4781402733460586496_o.jpg

76205143_10215803165098558_6299927904595738624_o.jpg

75362420_10215805226390089_8478712990781145088_n.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, josie said:

Goat yoga

I’m going to show my wife these pics. She’s halfway through the training to become a yoga instructor and is THE goat whisperer. Every time we go into the barns at the fair every goat in the building takes notice and waits at the fence for her. We’ve talked about doing butterfly yoga in the wildflower meadow and building her a platform in the beautiful oaks in the woods, might have to start a goat barn too?.

• Like (+1) 2