F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

God I ***** hate fridays. 

It's always the craziest, worst, most stressful day of the week at work for creative. And everyone else is "working remote" aka goofing off, or blatantly going golfing during the day and marking it down as administrative overhead. 

I'm livid. I'm tired. My neck is severely messed up. I want to shiv someone. 

21 minutes ago, josie said:

It's always the craziest, worst, most stressful day of the week at work for creative. And everyone else is "working remote" aka goofing off, or blatantly going golfing during the day and marking it down as administrative overhead. 

Will Sobotka do? You could say you were trying to help the Sabres "cut" him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, josie said:

There is nothing fantastic about this.

Today is the wife's birthday, and as I usually do, I take the day off and we go where she wants..

Today's morning was a hike at Harriet Hollister park and then a stop at Irish Mafia. We usually turn these things into multi-day events.  It's fun.

441971604_HarrietHolister.thumb.jpg.dc8929a459e03d7562929e2604a71d12.jpg

irish mafia.jpg

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

What brews did you have at the Mafia @LTS?

That one looks like Mighty Ego. Absolutely delicious!

The half-empty was the Pilsner.  It was full not 6 minutes prior to that photo being taken.  It was empty less than another 6 minutes after.

I then had the Red Ale.  The wife has the Irish Stout.

I stayed away from the IPAs intentionally.  It was midday drinking and I was, in theory, keeping it calm.  ?

The beer was good.  The food was decidedly mediocre.  Oh well, can't win them all.  Tomorrow night we'll be at Seven Story brewing in Bushnell's Basin.  They're a real favorite and being right on the canal is awesome.

On 9/6/2019 at 9:07 AM, Randall Flagg said:

I'm taking four credit hours of classes this semester, and when it's done, I will automatically pick up an along-the-way Master's degree by virtue of having passed my three qualifying exams at a PhD level. 

I've decided that when that happens, I'm coming home. 

The last six months have been an episode of me slowly losing any interest whatsoever in my physics research. It was in the regime of experimental particle physics. Learning about the ATLAS software and everything that goes into that stuff was so painful because there is no concrete, textbook-like resource for you to read and pick up on things. It wound up turning into me showing up to my adviser with 500 questions every day, about 40% of which he could answer, and I would come out more confused than before. All the while, looking for particles that I don't actually believe to exist. It wasn't fulfilling and I found myself making my office hours and teaching duties last longer and longer to avoid doing it, because I enjoyed that part of it so much more. When I realized that I enjoyed the teaching more than any other part of grad school (though classes are still always interesting to me) I realized that I should probably duck out now, and try and find a job that will pay me more than this stipend does. 

I am so excited to be coming home to every person I've ever known and loved. 

I'm also terrified about not being able to get a job. But I'll try my best. And I'm ready for the next stage in my life.

As someone who also intentionally stopped with a Master's in a field where PhDs are often considered the only viable option, I can tell you I've never regretted my decision because it was the right one for me. I suspect it is also the right one for you. Happiness is more than meeting other people's expectations for your life.

On 9/13/2019 at 6:46 PM, josie said:

It’s one of my fav places on earth. I’d been talking it up to dark for years. And today? Our hike was nice but not a single clear view to be had. Just driving through clouds the whole time haha 

6AD5736F-76DD-49E3-B0FB-54A7A8E3F18C.jpeg

4F8810BE-ECA2-475D-9FED-459C1ABCFA6E.jpeg

DCE309B4-97D6-4EC2-B475-4772AD6012C2.jpeg

Offer still stands if you ever want to explore CO! ?

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Flight out of Salt Lake got cancelled due to weather in Chicago I guess. Luckily they were able to get us on different flights so I'll still get home today. Which is fantastic despite all the time I'm going to spend in airports today.

Yeah that's weather alright... 

but hey, any friday where your bf wants to come back and deal with you is a good'un right? 

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 11.37.26 AM.png

in other news, my routine for our halloween show is starting to come together. hope they like me taking a bad 80s sax ballad very seriously... 

Edited by josie

Just now, MattPie said:

Heading out to Denver on Sunday for work (I'll wave at Boulder (?) if I see it @biodork!). This is for some interesting and challenging work, so I'm actually looking forward to it.

How long are you staying? I'm actually in Aurora (just East of Denver), so not far!

Just now, MattPie said:

Oops, don't know why Boulder popped into my head. I'm leaving Friday morning, staying in Westminster on the northwest side of town.

Ah okay. Well not sure how full your work schedule is, but if you're free some evening and want to grab a beer, PM me!

1 minute ago, biodork said:

Ah okay. Well not sure how full your work schedule is, but if you're free some evening and want to grab a beer, PM me!

That works! I'm not sure how full it'll be. Most of the people are local so they may not be able to hang out 4 times in a week leaving families at home, so I should be left to my own devices some night.

• Like (+1) 1