F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

Wedding planning is basically finished. Just need the invitations and we're done. And just in time, because if one more person who wasn't giving us a dime had offered their opinion I may be in jail for murder. 

Casually mentioned this in the Bills thread, but just ordered a new TV for sports season. When we relocated to Columbus we gained about 450 square feet, most of which was in the living room. Needless to say, the cheap 43" wasn't cutting it anymore. Got a killer deal on a 65" LG OLED from Dell and I'm super excited for it to arrive. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/9/2019 at 5:58 PM, TrueBlueGED said:

Wedding planning is basically finished. Just need the invitations and we're done. And just in time, because if one more person who wasn't giving us a dime had offered their opinion I may be in jail for murder.

You can send mine to Paddy's Pub

2 hours ago, josie said:

Nothing is going right today, i'm worried about my friends in Miami, i have to work all weekend, but I'm cracking a beer because ***** everything. 

I have a friend who is a captain of a yacht hunkered down in the Bahamas. Little nervous for him.

I too am drinking a beer.

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

I have a friend who is a captain of a yacht hunkered down in the Bahamas. Little nervous for him.

I too am drinking a beer.

yeah my buddy is my biggest client and he's a cop in north Miami. Lives right on Biscayne Bay. Even he sounds spooked. 

My coworker is supposed to be leaving on her honeymoon cruise from Miami through the west bahamas... ha  ha ha i don't think that's happening girl 

12 minutes ago, josie said:

yeah my buddy is my biggest client and he's a cop in north Miami. Lives right on Biscayne Bay. Even he sounds spooked. 

My coworker is supposed to be leaving on her honeymoon cruise from Miami through the west bahamas... ha  ha ha i don't think that's happening girl 

They chose the end of August for a cruise from Miami to the Bahamas?  What, all the covered wagon rides through Death Valley were already booked?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They chose the end of August for a cruise from Miami to the Bahamas?  What, all the covered wagon rides through Death Valley were already booked?

Almost like walking out in the middle of thunderstorm and hugging a telephone pole... really shocking...

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yeah I said the same thing but I'm trying to be nice. Those cruises are cheap this time a year for a reason, guys... but most people don't think that far, are on a shoestring budget. 

And cruises in general. Yech. It's right up there with Disneyworld as "things I would hate to spend my money on". 

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, josie said:

Yeah I said the same thing but I'm trying to be nice. Those cruises are cheap this time a year for a reason, guys... but most people don't think that far, are on a shoestring budget. 

And cruises in general. Yech. It's right up there with Disneyworld as "things I would hate to spend my money on". 

Well, hopefully they can get the time off to take that cruise whenever it gets rebooked for.  Never took a cruise (unless you count a booze cruise through the 1,000 Islands about 30 years ago), so have no idea how they handle something like that.

33 minutes ago, josie said:

Forget about the germ factory angle - I binge-watched a bunch of cruise ship disaster videos this spring (which is of course exactly how to not appropriately represent relative safety of doing anything, but whatever) and I trust any given cruise ship company or captain as far as I can throw them

The ocean is beautiful but it's the sketchiest part of the planet IMO 

39 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Forget about the germ factory angle - I binge-watched a bunch of cruise ship disaster videos this spring (which is of course exactly how to not appropriately represent relative safety of doing anything, but whatever) and I trust any given cruise ship company or captain as far as I can throw them

The ocean is beautiful but it's the sketchiest part of the planet IMO 

Yeah, norovirus outbreaks, food poisoning, seasickness... drinking, spangly shows, shopping, crowded pools... Nothing a cruise offers appeals to me. Just not for me. Add in inclement weather possibilities that will turn that gorgeous blue around you into an angry sloshing toilet bowl of fear...

I also find ships to be the scariest thing. Like, I read about disasters of all kinds frequently... but the idea of being on the only floating thing in miles and miles of liquid desert, and that something may go wrong on that floating thing, and rescue is difficult... does not sound good. And I get seasick on anything bigger than a rowboat. 

1 minute ago, josie said:

Yeah, norovirus outbreaks, food poisoning, seasickness... drinking, spangly shows, shopping, crowded pools... Nothing a cruise offers appeals to me. Just not for me. Add in inclement weather possibilities that will turn that gorgeous blue around you into an angry sloshing toilet bowl of fear...

I also find ships to be the scariest thing. Like, I read about disasters of all kinds frequently... but the idea of being on the only floating thing in miles and miles of liquid desert, and that something may go wrong on that floating thing, and rescue is difficult... does not sound good. And I get seasick on anything bigger than a rowboat. 

Actually, inclement weather might be the only thing I would look forward to. Only time I’d get some alone time out on deck.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Well, hopefully they can get the time off to take that cruise whenever it gets rebooked for.  Never took a cruise (unless you count a booze cruise through the 1,000 Islands about 30 years ago), so have no idea how they handle something like that.

An (IMHO) interesting fact:  the salad dressing is from this area in NY/Ontario (which is a much more pleasant drive from NYC/eastern NYS to Toronto than via Buffalo, FWIW).  And they have a great duty free store at the border there.

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

An (IMHO) interesting fact:  the salad dressing is from this area in NY/Ontario (which is a much more pleasant drive from NYC/eastern NYS to Toronto than via Buffalo, FWIW).  And they have a great duty free store at the border there.

Thought everybody knew "1,000 Island dressing" was from the St. Lawrence 1,000 Islands and not the northern Canadian 1,000 Islands (or any other 1,000 Islands).

Meh. To each his/her own...

I enjoy going on road trips and camping/hiking excursions. I’ve summited 25 states. Gonna bang out 3 more in October.

I went on a Disney Cruise in 2012 to Bahamas and loved it. It’s the only cruise i ever did. 

I’ve gone to Disneyland once, and Disneyworld 6 times in my life, and going again next May. I enjoy it.

One place I wouldn’t waste my time or money? Freakin bars. Not all patrons obviously, but a good chunk are either horny, alcoholics, desperate for human interaction/lonely or don’t have the ability to come up with better things to do. Again, not all, but a few friends who like the bar scene admit that’s a big chunk of people who enjoy bars. Some grow out of it, some sadly don’t. And no I’m not talking about the people who just meet friends out for a drink or two.

3 hours ago, josie said:

And cruises in general. Yech.

I've been on one.  It was in March, and there will not be another.  They are SOOOOOO wasteful.  One night, I asked for a container for the half of my dinner that I couldn't finish, and they offered me another dinner.  No, I want a container for the rest of the food that is in front of me.  Now, a manager appears.  Wants to know what's wrong with my dinner.  Nothing is wrong; it's delicious.  I just want to put the rest in my cabin fridge (the existence of that also is wasteful).  He tells me they will make me another dinner!  

No.  I want the rest of this good food, wrapped up or something, so I can put it in my fridge.  I am asked why.  I say it's because it's good food, I'll eat it later, and that it would be wasteful otherwise.  The manager?  "Do you know how much food we waste every day?"  Me:  "I couldn't guess, but I'd prefer not to contribute."

I got my container, which thankfully was steel and porcelain--not plastic.  My sister was mortified, my niece admired my efforts, and my mom and dad were proud of my resolve.  So that's a 100% on the reaction scale.  Well, maybe 90%.  It would have been better had my sister stormed off.

Not to mention the 60-ish folks with the drink packages.  Oh boy.  Leathery?  Check.  Drunk as *****?  Check.  Annoying and condescending because I'm only in my mid-forties?  Check. Lanyards with Gold Cruise Status (that's a Thing, apparently).  And slot machines!  And fake Peter Max art!  It's a boomer paradise.  (No offense to the couple of boomers on here who are good folks.)

All in all, it was a nice family vacation.  Niece and nephew had fun, and I got to share that with them, and that's the point. We snorkeled, we went through a nature-protected area, my nephew tried a climbing wall (failed; he was only eight years old though), and stuff.  My favorite moment was when my sis had a meltdown the day before we ported, and I got to take the two of them on a scavenger hunt so she could calm down.  (I wanted to do that anyway.  Love those two squirts.). I'll never forget it; it was a nice vacation. But I'll stay on terra firma for vacations from now on.  Cruises are just, ugh.  Nope and nope and nope.

Edited by Eleven

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I've been on one.  It was in March, and there will not be another.  They are SOOOOOO wasteful.  I asked for a container for the half of my dinner that I couldn't finish, and they offered me another dinner.  No, I want a container for the rest of the food that is in front of me.  Now, a manager appears.  Wants to know what's wrong with my dinner.  Nothing is wrong; it's delicious.  I just want to put the rest in my cabin fridge (the existence of that also is wasteful).  He tells me they will make me another dinner!  

No.  I want the rest of this good food, wrapped up or something, so I can put it in my fridge.  I am asked why.  I say it's because it's good food, I'll eat it later, and that it would be wasteful otherwise.  The manager?  "Do you know how much food we waste every day?"  Me:  "I couldn't guess, but I'd prefer not to contribute."

I got my container, which thankfully was steel and porcelain--not plastic.  My sister was mortified, my niece admired my efforts, and my mom and dad were proud of my resolve.  So that's a 100% on the reaction scale.  Well, maybe 90%.  It would have been better had my sister stormed off.

Reading this post, thinking bout the cabin we had on a lake on a cattle ranch in Idaho last year...