All About Natural Disasters

I haven't seen much coverage around here for anything other than Vermont. They're talking flooding of historical proportions up there. I'd make a joke about all those dirty hippies finally getting a much needed bath, but that just wouldn't be right.

A day later,.. this is still funny,.. they really do need a bath.

This video was shot around the corner from where I work... I've never seen anything like it.

http://www.abc27.com/video?clipId=6230301&autostart=true

Hopefully the parts of NY and VT that took it on the chin last week will be spared this time around.

If Vermont's getting what we've had in Boston the last couple days, they're not going to be too happy. There's a decent water flow on a lot of the streets this morning, and we didn't really have any flooding trouble around here.

This video was shot around the corner from where I work... I've never seen anything like it.

http://www.abc27.com/video?clipId=6230301&autostart=true

Hopefully the parts of NY and VT that took it on the chin last week will be spared this time around.

OK, I had to laugh a little at all the references to "the Bob Evans," "the Wendy's," and "the Pizza Hut." I shouldn't; I know it must be difficult on the Hershey area, but sorry--that's really funny.

OK, I had to laugh a little at all the references to "the Bob Evans," "the Wendy's," and "the Pizza Hut." I shouldn't; I know it must be difficult on the Hershey area, but sorry--that's really funny.

Not the Pizza Hut!

(I had the same thought when I saw the clip too.)

Not the Pizza Hut!

(I had the same thought when I saw the clip too.)

LOL - Central PA at its finest. Thankfully Devon Seafood is further away. ;) That intersection is still closed, and even where the water has receded the road is pretty beat up.

post-1683-051610400 1315501215_thumb.jpg

you wouldn't believe some of the flooding down this way - Look for some news reports out of Binghamton - the weather channel has been there since yesterday.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy. Broome and Tioga Counties got the worst of it, but Tompkins still got a good amount of rain. call me selfish, but I'm super happy I'm on a hill.

you wouldn't believe some of the flooding down this way - Look for some news reports out of Binghamton - the weather channel has been there since yesterday.

If I remember right, the flood wall on the south side of the Susquehanna in Apalachin is a foot or two lower than the Endicott side. If the water makes it over the wall that far, they're all hosed since the wall is at least a story high and there's nothing to stop the water from pouring in. A buddy in Johnson City has already been flooded out, the water was coming into the first floor of the house when he left.

If I remember right, the flood wall on the south side of the Susquehanna in Apalachin is a foot or two lower than the Endicott side. If the water makes it over the wall that far, they're all hosed since the wall is at least a story high and there's nothing to stop the water from pouring in. A buddy in Johnson City has already been flooded out, the water was coming into the first floor of the house when he left.

The Susquehanna River flooding in Owego in '06 crested at 35.9'

They're saying that this time around, it could crest soon at 40+' I guess. I didn't read it, but my buddy sent me the Press and Sun Article He's from Endicott

The Susquehanna River flooding in Owego in '06 crested at 35.9'

They're saying that this time around, it could crest soon at 40+' I guess. I didn't read it, but my buddy sent me the Press and Sun Article He's from Endicott

Wow. I used to live about 3 blocks off the right side of that photo in Owego.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else get whacked by the storm last night?

These two photos are of my back patio.

post-1429-024100800 1319981738_thumb.jpgpost-1429-054752600 1319981747_thumb.jpg

Here's me trying to open our back door.

post-1429-044959700 1319981753_thumb.jpg

Here's my 8' ladder holding up our cable and phone lines so I can go out and buy gas for our freekin' generator which we've been on since 3pm yesterday!!@%$@!!

post-1429-008065000 1319981765_thumb.jpg

Here's how we have enough light to do the dishes at night.

post-1429-018921800 1319981773_thumb.jpg

Ouch. I don't envy you. Keep warm.

Wow, Swamp, that sux!

Three things make it not so bad; we have a fireplace, we've got camping gear so we can get by with little or no power, and the cable/internet never went out. Although, that last one is what allowed me to watch the Sabres wet the bed last night. Coulda done without that.

• 5 months later...

I work in downtown Buffalo - the snow is just beginning to stick to the grass, nothing sticking to the roads yet. I think the weather forecasters neglected to take into account the heat already stored in the ground (after all, it was over 70 on Friday) and that the sun is now high enough that even on a cloudy (and snowy) day, enough solar radiation gets through to heat the roads (blacktop) so that the snow doesn't stick. The temps would have to drop below freezing and it would have to snow a LOT more to get anywhere close to a foot. I'm not buying it.... Oh, and the snow seems to be tapering off as I write this...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.