All About Natural Disasters

Nope, I'm in the Harrisburg/Hershey area, which for some reason people around here refer to as "central PA" even though we are nowhere near the center of the state. Baltimore is only about 1.5 hrs drive if you go the speed limit. B-) I actually worked in downtown Baltimore for about a year, but now just go on occasion to hit up Inner Harbor or visit friends down that way.

I would love to meet the milquetoast who drives the limit between HBurg and Balto., just to make fun of that person. (Professional truckers excepted; don't have a conniption, XC--I know you all are tracked.)

I would love to meet the milquetoast who drives the limit between HBurg and Balto., just to make fun of that person. (Professional truckers excepted; don't have a conniption, XC--I know you all are tracked.)

There are more of those than I would like, that's for sure. I made the trip in about 1 hr 10 min. back in March, but I was flying. Don't know how I didn't get a ticket that day, haha.

There are more of those than I would like, that's for sure. I made the trip in about 1 hr 10 min. back in March, but I was flying. Don't know how I didn't get a ticket that day, haha.

You call that 'flying?' <_<

When you can go from Baton Rouge to the westside of Houston in less than 3:35, let's talk. ;)

Nope, I'm in the Harrisburg/Hershey area, which for some reason people around here refer to as "central PA" even though we are nowhere near the center of the state.

if ( !Philly && !ThePitts ) then centralPA. Although the Harrisburg/York corridor could be call South Central, I suppose. :)

• Like (+1) 1

"All About Bad Weather"?

"All About Natural Disasters" fits better.

I was just told that work might be manditory on Sunday. Looks like I have to find a new job cuz there is no way I'm leaving my wife and daughter home alone with 70+mph winds going on outside.

We finally got power back this morning. It's a shame because I don't think I have ever seen as many kids playing outside as I did last night.

PTR, are you still in NH? My friend in VT got hit pretty hard.

I haven't seen much coverage around here for anything other than Vermont. They're talking flooding of historical proportions up there. I'd make a joke about all those dirty hippies finally getting a much needed bath, but that just wouldn't be right.

The Philly area got hit pretty hard with flooding, too -- a friend of mine took the attached pic (the white line behind the brick building is a fence around an outdoor patio). My power was out for almost 30 hours but fortunately not much flooding around here.

post-1683-095324800 1314727337_thumb.jpg

The Philly area got hit pretty hard with flooding, too -- a friend of mine took the attached pic (the white line behind the brick building is a fence around an outdoor patio). My power was out for almost 30 hours but fortunately not much flooding around here.

Manayunk got hit pretty bad. They were showing the rvier down main st on the news when my power came back on (20-ish hours). Took a short ride on the bike Sunday morning, nothing too crazy other than a house that became a penninsula in Brandywine Creek.

Manayunk got hit pretty bad. They were showing the rvier down main st on the news when my power came back on (20-ish hours). Took a short ride on the bike Sunday morning, nothing too crazy other than a house that became a penninsula in Brandywine Creek.

Yeah, it was pretty wild. Also ironic in that there were several banners advertising Manayunk Kayak Tours.

I haven't seen much coverage around here for anything other than Vermont. They're talking flooding of historical proportions up there. I'd make a joke about all those dirty hippies finally getting a much needed bath, but that just wouldn't be right.

I laughed.

• Like (+1) 1

Question:

Are they still considered 'natural disasters' if man has a hand involved in causing them?

Which hand are you talking about, the Japanese Hurricane Stearing Machine, or the underground nuclear explos...er, I mean "Earthquake" last week?

I felt the earthquake in Raleigh. A couple of shakes, a very short pause, and a couple more shakes.

Am I the natural disaster kid?

I was caught by a monsoon once in East Asia, a flood in Alfred, the blizzard of '77 in Buffalo, 3 hurricanes, came within minutes of a tornado, and one other earthquake.

Which hand are you talking about, the Japanese Hurricane Stearing Machine, or the underground nuclear explos...er, I mean "Earthquake" last week?

You have it so wrong. It isn't the Japanese. We have our very own microwave based weather control up in Alaska. Irene was domestic terrorism perpetrated by our own government. :blink: :bag:

*puts on tin foil hat*

You have it so wrong. It isn't the Japanese. We have our very own microwave based weather control up in Alaska. Irene was domestic terrorism perpetrated by our own government. :blink: :bag:

*puts on tin foil hat*

You're pretty close on your facts. Yes, it's in Alaska but it is Japanese technology that they lent to us because we helped them after they were hit by a Tsunami that we created. Say goodbye to the military-industrial complex. It's now the disaster-industrial complex.

LOL

I so want to continue in the fun but I jumped back into this thread to relay some bad news from my family. I have a cousin that lives along the Scoharie Creek southwest of Schenectady. Looks like they've lost their house. Flooding up and into the second story. They had to be rescued from their house.

LOL

I so want to continue in the fun but I jumped back into this thread to relay some bad news from my family. I have a cousin that lives along the Scoharie Creek southwest of Schenectady. Looks like they've lost their house. Flooding up and into the second story. They had to be rescued from their house.

Yikes - sorry to hear about your cousin's family, weave. Hopefully everyone is safe and they have good insurance!

Yikes - sorry to hear about your cousin's family, weave. Hopefully everyone is safe and they have good insurance!

I didn't ask if they have flood insurance. I was afraid fo the answer. I'm not sure the Scoharie creek basin is considered a flood plain by the Corp of Engineers. If it isn't, they weren't required to have it.

LOL

I was actually responding to this post last night when my power went out again. Sorry to hear about your relatives. I love Schoharie creek and go fishing there every Summer.

As someone who has stepped off of his front porch onto a boat in 2007, I'm acutely aware of what they are going through. It really sucked for about a month or so, but after awhile, I found it pretty liberating. We filled an 18 yard dumpster with our stuff and found that our lives really didn't change all that much.

We didn't lose anything during Irene but I still plan on getting rid of some some things. I'm tired of not being able to do something because I'm too busy managing my possessions.

As someone who has stepped off of his front porch onto a boat in 2007, I'm acutely aware of what they are going through. It really sucked for about a month or so, but after awhile, I found it pretty liberating. We filled an 18 yard dumpster with our stuff and found that our lives really didn't change all that much.

That is good to hear. I'll try to pass along that sentiment to my cousin when the time is right. Kind of a "there's good news in every bad" sort of message.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.