All About Natural Disasters

Yeah we felt it here in Hershey, PA -- the whole building shook for a few seconds, kind of surprised nothing fell off the shelves. We thought it was construction at first (there's a new building going up behind us), but it was never that strong before. Pretty wild.

Yeah we felt it here in Hershey, PA -- the whole building shook for a few seconds, kind of surprised nothing fell off the shelves. We thought it was construction at first (there's a new building going up behind us), but it was never that strong before. Pretty wild.

you at the park?

I am 30 miles south of Richmond and we felt it for a good minute, whole house was shaking, was yelling at kids to get out of the house, felt very strange running on a floor that was shaking. All of my neighbors were outside too, we were all amazed, an earthquake in VA! At first I thought it was the jets from the airbase. We are all still a little unnerved and waiting for the aftershocks to start, although I am sure they will be on a much smaller scale, thankfully.

I am 30 miles south of Richmond and we felt it for a good minute, whole house was shaking, was yelling at kids to get out of the house, felt very strange running on a floor that was shaking. All of my neighbors were outside too, we were all amazed, an earthquake in VA! At first I thought it was the jets from the airbase. We are all still a little unnerved and waiting for the aftershocks to start, although I am sure they will be on a much smaller scale, thankfully.

Be sure to check your gas-lines.

No, the Med Center. How crazy would that have been to be on a rollercoaster during an earthquake, though?? Probably better that than getting blood drawn or surgery. :sick:

Well, it would have been a beautiful day in the park. Is that where you normally are or just visiting?

Well, it would have been a beautiful day in the park. Is that where you normally are or just visiting?

Normally there - I work in a research lab in the Cancer Institute. Haven't made it to the park yet this summer, but I'm planning to go in the next few weeks. You're right; this would have been a perfect day, weather-wise!

Normally there - I work in a research lab in the Cancer Institute. Haven't made it to the park yet this summer, but I'm planning to go in the next few weeks. You're right; this would have been a perfect day, weather-wise!

Later in the fall is nice when they do the Haunted Park or whatnot. All the roller coasters are open but it's cheaper than normal and usually cool out.

At least it wasnt the New Madrid that went.

If/when that bad boy snaps, we will ALL feel it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

"In a report filed in November 2008, The U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency warned that a serious earthquake in the New Madrid Seismic Zone could result in "the highest economic losses due to a natural disaster in the United States," further predicting "widespread and catastrophic" damage across Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and particularly Tennessee, where a 7.7 magnitude quake or greater would cause damage to tens of thousands of structures affecting water distribution, transportation systems, and other vital infrastructure. The earthquake is expected to also result in many thousands of fatalities, with more than 4,000 of the fatalities expected in Memphis alone.

According to some scientists, however, that is nothing compared to what an 8.0 earthquake could do to the New Madrid Region. An earthquake of that size on the New Madrid Fault would destroy 60 percent of Memphis, killing tens of thousands and causing over $50 billion dollars in property damage in the city alone.

The potential for the recurrence of large earthquakes and their impact today on densely populated cities in and around the seismic zone has generated much research devoted to understanding in the New Madrid Seismic Zone. By studying evidence of past quakes and closely monitoring ground motion and current earthquake activity, scientists attempt to understand their causes and recurrence intervals.

In October 2009, a team composed of University of Illinois and Virginia Tech researchers headed by Amr S. Elnashai, funded by FEMA, considered a scenario where all three segments of the New Madrid fault ruptured simultaneously. The report found Tennessee, Arkansas, and Missouri most severely impacted, with Illinois and Kentucky also impacted but not as seriously. The cities of Memphis, Tennessee and St. Louis, Missouri would be severely damaged."

wow. That was my 1st one I ever felt. I'm still shaking. It was a 5.8 in VA.

Was in a DC hotel when it hit. AWESOME.... No longer an earthquake virgin. :blush: I'm told you always remember your first time. Was pretty entertaining all things considered.... :clapping:

Was in a DC hotel when it hit. AWESOME.... No longer an earthquake virgin. :blush: I'm told you always remember your first time. Was pretty entertaining all things considered.... :clapping:

So you were in the hotel losing your virginity when this happened :worthy: ? She must have thought you were a stud :lol: :lol:

I didn't realize you were so close to Baltimore. I thought you were out by Altoona for some reason. Do you get down this way ever?

I was working on the deck of a covered porch we were completing when the quake hit-- in Alexandria, VA about 90 miles from epicenter. My first thought was that I totally screwed up the porch addition and the roof was coming loose to fall on our heads. Having experienced minor quakes in both Northern and Southern CA, I quickly realized it was a quake and yelled for all to get off the deck. For a few seconds on the deck, it felt like we were surfing. After inspecting the structure I informed the owner that we did good-- it w/stood a quake.

Now that we may be hit w/ a hurricane this weekend in DC area, we might get another test of our skills;)

P.S. In Alexandria, VA, inc. my residence, the quake caused cupboard/shelf contents to tumble and some wall-hung pictures to come loose.

Only a sports board could be so close knit that this topic could exist. Hope everyone is ok though :)

I'm not really arguing, but all the other forums I read are also talking about it. I tend to stumble onto the close-knit forums though, so maybe that's more of it. :)

I didn't realize you were so close to Baltimore. I thought you were out by Altoona for some reason. Do you get down this way ever?

Nope, I'm in the Harrisburg/Hershey area, which for some reason people around here refer to as "central PA" even though we are nowhere near the center of the state. Baltimore is only about 1.5 hrs drive if you go the speed limit. B-) I actually worked in downtown Baltimore for about a year, but now just go on occasion to hit up Inner Harbor or visit friends down that way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.