All About Natural Disasters

No signs of this one out here. I do remember feeling some aftershocks from a quake that happened someone in Quebec (I think that's where it was) back in maybe the mid 90s.

There was a quake last June in Canada near the Ontario/Quebec border that I felt while I was eating lunch on the deck of The Italian Fisherman on Chautauqua Lake. The deck is raised about 10-12 feet and really swayed. That was a little spooky.

How many of you folks felt the tremor when the Retsof salt mine in Livingston County collapsed sometime in the mid-late 90's?

Saw that. Nuts that we could feel it all the way up here in WNY.

A geologist on another forum I frequent just explained that the energy from quakes on the east coast travel alot further than the ones on the west coast because the rock formations are older and alot less malleable in the east. The rock is less likely to deform so the energy travels further.

• Like (+1) 1

There was a quake last June in Canada near the Ontario/Quebec border that I felt while I was eating lunch on the deck of The Italian Fisherman on Chautauqua Lake. The deck is raised about 10-12 feet and really swayed. That was a little spooky.

How many of you folks felt the tremor when the Retsof salt mine in Livingston County collapsed sometime in the mid-late 90's?

I don't think I felt the quake (maintenance is always working on something in our building so we are always feeling various vibrations and thumps).

Cool! The Italian Fisherman - I had almost forgotten about that place. Ate there once a long time ago....

Actually, now that I think about it, the one I remember may have been even earlier than the mid 90s. I distinctly remember my mom yelling at me for shaking the table. I had to have been under 10 at that point.

A geologist on another forum I frequent just explained that the energy from quakes on the east coast travel alot further than the ones on the west coast because the rock formations are older and alot less malleable in the east. The rock is less likely to deform so the energy travels further.

Everything in the east is so much closer together. The next town/city over out here could wind up being 3X as close as it is on the west coast.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.