All About Natural Disasters

• 1 year later...

Tornado touched down in Dallas yesterday during the Cowboys game.  Kind of weird to be showing the game, then switching to local weather coverage during breaks (no commercials).  I heard Tyler Seguin of the Dallas Stars had heavy damage to his home.  The tornado track which was 16 miles long went through a heavily populated area north of downtown.

No reports of deaths; three taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

My good friend lives in Cloverdale, CA. He currently has his car packed, ready to go- the Kincaid Fire that exploded overnight is 10 miles south of him. His wife works at a winery 5 miles south of the fire. The highway is single lane either way right now and I'm just hoping they don't get cut off from each other.

He can see the fires over the next hill, and says there are firefighters wandering around his street, setting up stations to fight if necessary. I'm absolutely terrified for them. Wind is gusting up to 80mph and it's dryyyy dry dry. He says it's "very disaster movie".

I grew up with tornadoes, but there's something insidious about a firestorm. A hurricane is horrifying, but man... I think a wildfire might scare me more. I'll take the great lake blizzards. You couldn't pay me to live in CA.

2 minutes ago, josie said:

My good friend lives in Cloverdale, CA. He currently has his car packed, ready to go- the Kincaid Fire that exploded overnight is 10 miles south of him. His wife works at a winery 5 miles south of the fire. The highway is single lane either way right now and I'm just hoping they don't get cut off from each other.

He can see the fires over the next hill, and says there are firefighters wandering around his street, setting up stations to fight if necessary. I'm absolutely terrified for them. Wind is gusting up to 80mph and it's dryyyy dry dry. He says it's "very disaster movie".

I grew up with tornadoes, but there's something insidious about a firestorm. A hurricane is horrifying, but man... I think a wildfire might scare me more. I'll take the great lake blizzards. You couldn't pay me to live in CA.

They might as well just leave. Why wait for the evacuation order if you can see the fire?

7 hours ago, josie said:

I lived through Katrina in New Orleans.  You're right about wildfires.  They are fast moving and unpredictable.  At least with hurricanes, you usually get several days notice to evacuate.  Not so with wildfires, earthquakes, tornados.  

On 10/25/2019 at 1:38 AM, pi2000 said:

I'll take an occasional shake and a few weeks of fire weather over a guaranteed 5 months of Buffalo winter.

But, like, winter is the best season....

-----------------------------------------------post merge

Oneida county has some pretty bad flooding going on right now. I don't remember that happening ever in my life growing up there. In the past 2 years they've had 2 evacuations.

Edited by ubkev

I joined the military in 2004 and have moved around the country quite a bit and dealt with all sorts of natural disasters. I lived in Ohio from 04-08 and nothing too bad other than nasty wind and midwest cold. I lived in VA for 3 years and other than some really nasty snowstorms in 08-11 it wasn't worse than Buffalo snow storms, except VA doesn't know how to deal with it like back home and stores would be closed for days if a foot of snow fell. I spent 4 years in California and went through a lot. Flooding from so much winter rain the first year to severe drought the next three years, wild fires were so close that ash was falling and it smelled like a campfire for weeks at a time, been through a few earthquakes as well. Spent time in TX, flash flooding, severe thunderstorms with nasty hail happened all the time. 

I have now lived back in Dayton OH since 2016  and nothing can compare (for me anyway) to the Memorial Day 2019 tornadoes late at night. We had something like 15 confirmed touch downs. I was in bed at 1030 and couldn't sleep because there was so much thunder and lightning, my wife came running into the room saying the tornado sirens were going off, grabbed the kids and my dog and went into the basement. we have a walkout basement so not fully underground but good enough. An F4 went by our neighborhood, within a quarter mile, it was so loud and my house was shaking, things kept hitting my basement door and i was legit terrified. fortunately it barely missed us but other neighborhoods weren't so lucky. Whole neighborhoods and businesses were destroyed throughout the area because there were so many tornadoes. Amazingly only one person died. an 80 year old man sleeping in bed had a car thrown into his house. there has been a tornado here every year since I moved here in 2016 and they have been getting worse. we had several close calls.

10 minutes ago, ubkev said:

@Marions Piazza 

***** that! I'll just live in my mountains and enjoy my winters. Well, I'll enjoy them while we still have them. 

once the zombie Apocalypse happens, you'll be nice and safe in those mountains. I read they don't like cold and walk very clumsily, so mountains are the place to be! 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Marions Piazza said:

once the zombie Apocalypse happens, you'll be nice and safe in those mountains. I read they don't like cold and walk very clumsily, so mountains are the place to be! 

I'll be headed north to my home turf when that happens. Colder, bigger mountains, more snow. I could out last them in the heart of the Adirondacks. No problem!

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.