The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

More citrusy tasting. West coast IPAs taste more like a pine tree. I’m not a fan of the west coast IPAs.

Not really a fan of the eastern IPAs either, but if I had to choose,... 

I've noticed a bunch of those lately.  Makes sense it's a sub-category.  I like some of them.  I think Big Ditch Hayburner might be more in that category than not.  By far my favorite IPA these days.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Sloop juice might be the most representative beer in the NE IPA style.  Lots of citrus, cloudy as all get out, not quite dry finish, and bitterness that is really soft.  Classic huge late hop addition beer.

Sounds delish!

On 8/12/2019 at 1:43 AM, Thwomp! said:

Been awhile on this one.  Had a great happy hour with a couple of great work friends on Friday at the Walrus in Columbus.  Tried to mix it up a bit, I like variety.

Started out with a good scotch.  Forget what it was, I'm not a scotch drinker, but it was good.  May have been Macallan 12?

Then switched to the excellent craft beer selection.  50% off during happy hour.  Hell yes!

Started with the SweetWater 420 Strain G13 IPA.  Pint smelled just like a bag of weed.  Smelled great and tasted better!

Then went with a Truth IPA from Rhineghist.  Delicious and from just down I71 (Cincinnati) from Cbus.

Next was the Elvis Juice from Brewdog.  Awesome!  U.S. headquarters in Canal Winchester, about 15 minutes from my house.

Then as the night cap(s), 2 Golden Monkeys from Victory Brewing (MattPie approved?).  Excellent!

Overall a great night, and was happy to try some new to me stuff.  Was very comfortable upon leaving.  ?

Went out and picked up some Hop Stoopid for tonight, and really enjoying that too.  Beer on, dudes!

That's quite a night cap, holy cow. I dig it though, even though I haven't had one in awhile. MrsPie doesn't like the Belgian strains of yeast, and I don't drink out often.

I once took a split case of Victory Golden Monkey (9%) and Storm King (9.5%) for a December wine tour up around Cayuga lake with a houseful of friends. After getting everyone drunk the first night ("Wow, this is 9%?"), we stopped the bus at a Wegmans before heading back and I grabbed another stout (it was my jam at that time) for something "lighter". It was Brooklyn at 10.5%. Oops.

MrsPie and I are all in on the Hazy/NE beers. It's a fad and it'll play out, but it's nice while it lasts. Victory Cloud Walker is good, Sloop Juice as mentioned above, and Levante Cloudy and Cumbersome are also strong.

Liberty Bell Ringer DDH DIPA (I do love acronyms, Double-dry Hop Double IPA) is a sweetish DIPA I have in the fridge right now, I'm now looking forward to getting home.

And on a final note, I recently moved to Phoenixville PA, which over the last 10 years has successfully transitioned from depressed former steel town to a strange concentration of breweries. In a space the size of East Aurora, there are something like 10 breweries, a distillery, and a punk bar.

@Thwomp! have you been to Saucy Brew Works up in Cleveland? I LOVE their beer, and they’re opening a location in Columbus. It’ll be just east of the Short North area/south of campus. 3rd and Michigan I think. Pint Room up by me often features their beers, which is where I was introduced. I’m pumped that they’ve been successful enough to expand into their own Cbus location.

I stayed at an Airbnb right across from their Cleveland HQ last month while I was at the MLB all star game. Best beer I had there was “What’s His Nuts?,” a vanilla stout with peanut butter. They had a barrel aged version of it on tap too. This one checked in at 11.2% but was smooth as can be. Dangerously drinkable for a beer that dark and strong. 

1 hour ago, EichSnipe said:

@Thwomp! have you been to Saucy Brew Works up in Cleveland? I LOVE their beer, and they’re opening a location in Columbus. It’ll be just east of the Short North area/south of campus. 3rd and Michigan I think. Pint Room up by me often features their beers, which is where I was introduced. I’m pumped that they’ve been successful enough to expand into their own Cbus location.

I stayed at an Airbnb right across from their Cleveland HQ last month while I was at the MLB all star game. Best beer I had there was “What’s His Nuts?,” a vanilla stout with peanut butter. They had a barrel aged version of it on tap too. This one checked in at 11.2% but was smooth as can be. Dangerously drinkable for a beer that dark and strong. 

Sounds like a place to make a visit sometime.  The list is endless at this point!  Obviously need more happy hour events.  It's the only solution.

20 hours ago, ... said:

I've noticed a bunch of those lately.  Makes sense it's a sub-category.  I like some of them.  I think Big Ditch Hayburner might be more in that category than not.  By far my favorite IPA these days.

Hayburner almost straddles the two to me. Easier to drink than your old school west-coast guys, but not quite as overly juicy as the NE style. If you put a sliding scale from Washington to Vermont, where Washington is West-Coast IPAs and Vermont is the NE IPAs, I feel like Hayburner falls right about at Buffalo.

17 hours ago, darksabre said:

NE style IPAs have been a revelation for me in the IPA game simply because I'm not a huge fan of drinking citronella oil.

17 hours ago, Cityo'Rasmii said:

A buddy once said drinking an IPA is like drinking insect repellent ?.  For my tastes, I continue to enjoy many makers' IPA's.

Every time someone comes up with a new description for the flavor of hoppy IPAs I have two thoughts.

1) Thats accurate
2) God I could go for one right now.

17 hours ago, MattPie said:

That's quite a night cap, holy cow. I dig it though, even though I haven't had one in awhile. MrsPie doesn't like the Belgian strains of yeast, and I don't drink out often.

I once took a split case of Victory Golden Monkey (9%) and Storm King (9.5%) for a December wine tour up around Cayuga lake with a houseful of friends. After getting everyone drunk the first night ("Wow, this is 9%?"), we stopped the bus at a Wegmans before heading back and I grabbed another stout (it was my jam at that time) for something "lighter". It was Brooklyn at 10.5%. Oops.

I picked up some Golden Monkey this past weekend.  I've got a local growler filling place that I go to maybe twice a month.  I'm all over that beer any time I see it.  I like belgians in general, but that one definitely sticks out to me. 

Speaking of the growler place and the IPA craze, I just about fell off my bar stool that day.  This place has something like 30 taps and as you'd expect, probably half of them are IPAs.  As I'm sitting there, this random guy walks in, heads to the bar and asks the bartender for 2 IPAs.  I don't think the guy had any clue what kind of place he was at.  I'm amazed that the bartender didn't react to it at all.  She quickly turned around and filled from a random tap, never even said a word.  I would have expected at least a "you're going to have to be more specific".

A few months ago, my family spent a couple hours with the brewmaster at Genny, touring the small batch facility, and then drinking a flight downstairs. He had just done the collab with Other Half on the Dream Ale........... (Other Half is probably my favorite local beer......not cheap, but pretty darn good)..... anyway, we talked at length about hops and what they bring...... and he recommended taking a standard pilsner(with a twist off cap) and adding about a t-spoon of pelletized hops to the beer, recapping it an letting it sit for a few days in the fridge, in order to figure out which hops you really like. I tried it with a 6 pack of Bud, and Cascade and Centennial hops, and can say for certain, that I like Cascade better than Centennial, but both make the Bud better........ The pain in the neck is filtering out the hops just before drinking.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.