Now let the arguments commence.

ricogarion

Well, the sabres can't afford to be bad like the royals or pirates. Plus, they were a game out of the playoffs the last time they step foot on the ice. Do i think that the management could do more to help the team be successful? yes. Do i know the entire reason why they're not? no. Guys like golisano don't become billionaires by making stupid business decisions. There's gotta be a good reason why the sabres didn't qualify satan or zhitnik. There's probably an even better reason why they didn't enter the mike modano sweepstakes, or sign other overpriced free agents. I also don't buy the reasoning that golisano is using the sabres as a writeoff either. Owning a team now is not all about simply owning a franchise and collecting profits. It's about name recognition, ego, and reputation in the business world. Golisano wouldn't put his name on a sinking ship, which everyone is making the sabres out to be. It's very cliche to say give it 5 or 10 years and look back iwth hindsight, but in this situation, that's all we really have. Sure, we could "protest" by not going to the games, but that's just ignorance, plain and simple. You "hockey fans" can protest all you want, but don't bi+ch when the team leaves cause it couldn't fill the stands. Yeah, that's you. you heard me. People that whine about protesting are usually the first in line to complain or ask for help when something goes wrong.

That being said, the article was well written, but i suggest doing something slightly more drastic than whine on a message board. If you're a season ticket holder, go to the HSBC and ask to speak to someone about the product they're offering. The sabres aren't a giant organization. Chances are, if you go about it professionally, you'll actually get some answers. (by the way, if anyone actually does go to the hsbc and actually gets to talk to someone other than the ticket girl, please post a transcript here. that could be some great reading!)

address and directions if anyone needs any more sarcasm:

Buffalo Sabres

HSBC Arena

One Seymour H. Knox III Plaza

Buffalo, New York, 14203-3096

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1+Seymour+H....,0.039710&hl=en

I'm not trying to fight with anyone. I'm really not. I'm just starting to lose my taste for reading negative nancy rants while the team is in the midst of a brand new type of offseason, one that we don't even know the results of yet. An honest assesment of the team right now? I can't give you one right now, but they're still here... Which, using hindsight, i wouldn't have been able to say 3 years ago. It's a start.

now, let me end this giant thread by removing my rosey colored glasses so i can go refill my coffee.

Its refreshing to see some one not accept the rose colored glasses that the Sabres are dishing out,glad to see someone call a spade a spade.Now lets see how many folks blast the author of this article,Mr.Tom Doran.

http://www.sabresfans.com/articles.asp?id=1506&ref=8

Excellent article that pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Tom Doran hit it right on the head.

The Sabres are relying 100% on the lower ticket prices to fill the stands. They just don't get it. Lower prices, 2 for 1 or any other deal is not going to fill the HSBC. The fans want and need to know their team has a chance.

Status Quo and Co. had a huge chance to win back the large number of fans who were disenchanted before the lockout. All they had to do is prove that the new CBA gives them a chance. They failed. It turns out the new CBA doesn't effect the Sabres at all. They will keep serving the fans the same old crap while telling them "don't worry, it tastes like prime rib".

Tatses like crap to me.

Guys like golisano don't become billionaires by making stupid business decisions. There's gotta be a good reason why the sabres didn't qualify satan or zhitnik. There's probably an even better reason why they didn't enter the mike modano sweepstakes, or sign other overpriced free agents. I also don't buy the reasoning that golisano is using the sabres as a writeoff either. Owning a team now is not all about simply owning a franchise and collecting profits. It's about name recognition, ego, and reputation in the business world.

Excellent point, especially when you consider his previous political aspirations for governor. I suspect "making" the playoffs has never been the goal. Being the owner of the first "major league" sports team to win a championship in Buffalo would probably win a vote or two, especially since he would do it by bringing the team basically back from the dead.

If his little experiment with the Sabres blows up in his face, he will be a failure in upstate NY. I just don't see him allowing that.

Yeah, i felt like frank the tank debating james carvell... At the end, he just ended his blackout.

THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT. THAT'S HOW YOU DEBATE!

Nice.

Archived