Around the NHL 2011-2012

spndnchz

A guy I was somewhat interested in as a 3rd line center option.

Nobody has mentioned anything that he's actually signed by anyone. He's an RFA. I haven't checked the arby list but I assume he's not on it, so the Ducks just have his rights but no contract yet I assume.

edit: His arby date is July 21 st. So yeah, just his rights.

So I guess that bit of info that stated a player headed for arbitration couldnt be traded until after the hearing was incorrect.

Player can always be traded. The acquiring team needs to make a deal with the player before arbitration hearing. Otherwise they get the arbitration ruling. The Oiler knew they couldn't make a deal with him so they let him go before they were stuck with the arbitrator ruling.

Player can always be traded. The acquiring team needs to make a deal with the player before arbitration hearing. Otherwise they get the arbitration ruling. The Oiler knew they couldn't make a deal with him so they let him go before they were stuck with the arbitrator ruling.

Yeah, but what he's saying is that last week or so the talk around the league (and on this board) was that if a player elected arbitration they could not be traded until after the arbitration hearing. Specifically I think somebody made a joke about Sekera electing arbitration to avoid to being traded for a center. I don't remember who brought it up on SS exactly but I'm almost positive I read the same thing in a few different places.

Yeah, but what he's saying is that last week or so the talk around the league (and on this board) was that if a player elected arbitration they could not be traded until after the arbitration hearing. Specifically I think somebody made a joke about Sekera electing arbitration to avoid to being traded for a center. I don't remember who brought it up on SS exactly but I'm almost positive I read the same thing in a few different places.

I had posted a link to it in the Sekera thread. It was on Spector Hockey.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Deadline for filing for arbitration is 5 pm ET today. I’ve been asked several times in recent days if a player who files for arbitration, or is taken to arbitration by a team, can be traded. No, they cannot. Once the arbitration hearing is over, the team has seven days to decide if they’ll accept or reject the arbiter’s decision. Also, don’t forget that most players who file for arbitration or are taken to arbitration by a team rarely end up going through the process, as in most cases deals are reached prior to the hearings.

http://spectorshockey.net/wordpress/2011/07/05/latest-nhl-rumors-july-5-2011/

Perhaps he was referring to the period between when the award is handed out and if it is accepted by the team or not?

I had posted a link to it in the Sekera thread. It was on Spector Hockey.

http://spectorshockey.net/wordpress/2011/07/05/latest-nhl-rumors-july-5-2011/

Perhaps he was referring to the period between when the award is handed out and if it is accepted by the team or not?

That's how I read that, but still, I haven't seen anything in the CBA that suggests either is the rule. There is nothing restricting trades in the arbitration section of that document.

Archived