Hockey Hotline format change...

LabattBlue

The Buffalo Sabres' TV plans for their first season on the Madison Square Garden Network include a postgame show with a new name, a different cast and a different agenda than "Hockey Hotline" had on the defunct Empire Sports Network.

Kevin Sylvester, the former WGR-AM morning host, will host "The Shootout." Mike Robitaille, the "HH" regular who worked with Josh Mora (now in Chicago) two seasons ago, returns with a former Sabre to be named later. If Rob Ray retires, he would be an obvious option.

Larry Quinn, the Sabres' managing partner, said the show will be live at HSBC Arena after home games and will include more in-depth features and more thorough analysis than offered by "HH." The show's call-in component won't be as large as it was on "HH." Quinn added there won't be a pregame show, but the plan is to have a five-minute opening before Rick Jeanneret and Jim Lorentz call the game. It is unclear if Danny Gare will have a broadcast role but Quinn said "there definitely would be a place in the organization" for him.

Sylvester, also the Sabres' director of amateur athletics, said he is "thrilled" by his "Shootout" role. "I remember when Josh Mora said, "I lost a job (at Empire) and got a better one.' I feel the same way," said Sylvester of his firing by WGR. "Not to diss "Hockey Hotline,' but ("Shootout') will have a faster pace and highlight the individuals in the show."

Robitaille feels the extra time for analysis is needed because of all the rules changes and player changes.

"There is a lot to talk about this year, more than any other season," Robitaille said. "There will be more time to evaluate the game and teach the public the best we can. It might be difficult for people to grasp a lot of rule changes."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050813/1046630.asp

i'm glad roby has a spot with the new tv deal. Some don't like him as he's grumpy and old, but i love the guy. he's funny when he's critical, and he's beyond obvious when he's toting the company line, especially when he doesn't like what he's forced to say.

Kevin Sylvester, the former WGR-AM morning host, will host "The Shootout." Mike Robitaille, the "HH" regular who worked with Josh Mora (now in Chicago) two seasons ago, returns with a former Sabre to be named later. If Rob Ray retires, he would be an obvious option.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050813/1046630.asp

I realize you only copied and pasted the article, but I think Gare would be a more obvious choice. Rob Ray? 'Cmon

i'm glad roby has a spot with the new tv deal. Some don't like him as he's grumpy and old, but i love the guy. he's funny when he's critical, and he's beyond obvious when he's toting the company line, especially when he doesn't like what he's forced to say.

Sometimes he was more interesting than the game.... :D

We all admire Robataille's lack of tact and unwillingness to follow television time restraints.

But I could definitely live with a replacement for him by someone with a few more brains. He's fairly good at rightly criticizing some of the players and plays, but when he dips into coaching, GM, salary, and trade issues, he is always waaay off.

Archived