All About July 1 wishes

LGR4GM

This offseason is already so incredibly fun. I'm even looking forward to seeing which depth vets they sign for the Amerks.

Indeed (well, you know my bias) but I imagine a nice crop of vets with a little local flavor thrown in for some marketing reasons. All hale Pegula!! :worthy:

I've waited to post my predictions/thoughts/hopes, etc, but on the eve of Free Agency Eve, I think it's time.

I think the Sabres plan is to go after two top flight d-men via free agency... one offensive minded and the other a physical type. I'm sure Bieksa and Pitkanen were on their radar, but with both staying put, it put the wheels in motion on making a trade for Ehrhoff's rights. I wouldn't be shocked if they contacted Montreal about Wisniewski as well. If they can convince Ehrhoff to sign, then that's one down, and if Wis forgoes Columbus, I think they make a big push for him. He's a solid two-way defender who can lug the puck up the ice, get some PK time, and is physical down low. This would open the door to trade Sekera (making Morrison the 7th) or making Reggie the 7th. It would also allow the Sabres to have 3 even pairings with a physical guy and a more offensive minded partner - Myers/Regher, Ehrhoff/Wisnieski, MAG/Weber.

As far as acquiring a number one center goes, as much as I'd love to see Stamkos in a Sabres uni, he isn't what we need. Stamkos is who he is thanks to Marty St. Louis. St. Louis is as good as it gets with puck control down low and is an absolute magician with the puck. All Stamkos has to do is get open and Marty finds him. Take away St. Louis and Stamkos is a highly skilled centerman, but not a Rocket Richard Trophy candidate.

Buffalo already has a top sniper (Vanek) who could easily bag 40-50 goals per year if he had a true playmaking center. Roy isn't the answer, neither is Stamkos. Who fits the bill? Guys like Brad Richards (49 A), Joe Thornton (49 A), Joe Pavelski (46 A), and maybe even Mike Ribeiro (52 A), although I can't say I'm a fan of his lackadaisical play. Paul Stastny could be another good option, but I'm not sure he's what the Sabres really need. Spezza is another candidate, but I just can't see Ottawa trading within the division. Stranger things have happened though.

If they can't land Richards, I could definitely see a deal in the works with San Jose regarding Thornton or Pavelski. Forget about Marleau, he's another shoot-first guy. I would think a package of top flight prospects (Pysyk/McNabb, Kassian/Adam) plus a pair of quality draft picks (1st and 2nd in 2012), could land either of them.

So, my hopes are that they come out of this with two free agent defensemen (Ehrhoff and Wis) and then land the playmaking center through a trade (preferably San Jose). The outcome with much of this will have nothing to do with what the Sabres actions are, but will come down to what other teams are throwing out there. It will definitely be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I've waited to post my predictions/thoughts/hopes, etc, but on the eve of Free Agency Eve, I think it's time.

I think the Sabres plan is to go after two top flight d-men via free agency... one offensive minded and the other a physical type. I'm sure Bieksa and Pitkanen were on their radar, but with both staying put, it put the wheels in motion on making a trade for Ehrhoff's rights. I wouldn't be shocked if they contacted Montreal about Wisniewski as well. If they can convince Ehrhoff to sign, then that's one down, and if Wis forgoes Columbus, I think they make a big push for him. He's a solid two-way defender who can lug the puck up the ice, get some PK time, and is physical down low. This would open the door to trade Sekera (making Morrison the 7th) or making Reggie the 7th. It would also allow the Sabres to have 3 even pairings with a physical guy and a more offensive minded partner - Myers/Regher, Ehrhoff/Wisnieski, MAG/Weber.

As far as acquiring a number one center goes, as much as I'd love to see Stamkos in a Sabres uni, he isn't what we need. Stamkos is who he is thanks to Marty St. Louis. St. Louis is as good as it gets with puck control down low and is an absolute magician with the puck. All Stamkos has to do is get open and Marty finds him. Take away St. Louis and Stamkos is a highly skilled centerman, but not a Rocket Richard Trophy candidate.

Buffalo already has a top sniper (Vanek) who could easily bag 40-50 goals per year if he had a true playmaking center. Roy isn't the answer, neither is Stamkos. Who fits the bill? Guys like Brad Richards (49 A), Joe Thornton (49 A), Joe Pavelski (46 A), and maybe even Mike Ribeiro (52 A), although I can't say I'm a fan of his lackadaisical play. Paul Stastny could be another good option, but I'm not sure he's what the Sabres really need. Spezza is another candidate, but I just can't see Ottawa trading within the division. Stranger things have happened though.

If they can't land Richards, I could definitely see a deal in the works with San Jose regarding Thornton or Pavelski. Forget about Marleau, he's another shoot-first guy. I would think a package of top flight prospects (Pysyk/McNabb, Kassian/Adam) plus a pair of quality draft picks (1st and 2nd in 2012), could land either of them.

So, my hopes are that they come out of this with two free agent defensemen (Ehrhoff and Wis) and then land the playmaking center through a trade (preferably San Jose). The outcome with much of this will have nothing to do with what the Sabres actions are, but will come down to what other teams are throwing out there. It will definitely be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Can't say I disagree with much of your reasoning, but I don't think if they get Ehrhoff that they will pursue Wisniewski - even assuming he's still available. They said that they will get 2 steady Dmen. Regehr and Ehrhoff should do the trick.

Forward-wise, I agree with your judgments on Stamkos...I own St. Louis in my $ fantasy league and he is the heart of that line and team. Without someone like him, Stamkos is just another hard shot. I agree that Vanek needs a Sullivan type of player...or Thornton...or Richards(B). So they will try their damnedest to get Richards. I also think Talbot could help them a lot. I'd substitute him for Connolly. He's a good PKer and is tougher than TC.

Also...if Parise goes to arbitration and the Devils accept, jump on him when July 1, 2012 strikes. He is a Stanley Cup kind of player and I know his name will be on it someday.

Talbot will get overpaid. 3.5 by Burke. Take Drury at 1.5

Drury is used up...done...finished. His knee will never make it through another season. Talbot is worth 3.5 and if he didn't sign with Toronto when they had his rights, he won't sign with them at all.

Let's say we miss getting Richards and Ehrhoff. Well here's an idea, how about giving sizeable offer sheets to Ladd, Yandle, and Callahan? Wouldn't mind having those three on the team, would you?

Wouldn't be able to get more than one as you'd need the picks for one to get the other.

Let's say we miss getting Richards and Ehrhoff. Well here's an idea, how about giving sizeable offer sheets to Ladd, Yandle, and Callahan? Wouldn't mind having those three on the team, would you?

I'm hesitant to pissing off half the league by making a single offer sheet, let alone three of them.

I'd rather take a shot at trading for Stastny/Sharp/Someone Else who I can't imagine being on the market that Darcy's working on that we can't imagine (a la Regehr) if I'm not getting Richards. As for Ehrhoff, I can't even begin to have anyone in mind.

I would also go HARD at Max Talbot for the third line.

Or... won't there be a bigger free agent class next year? Sign Drury for a year. If he earns more, give it to him; if not, pick up someone in FA next year (of course, only if T-Peg doesn't sign Richards).

Fewer quality centers available as FA's next year than this year. Patrick Sharpe is the only one of note, and he's as much winger as center.

Ok. Since it's the wish thread, I still wish that the Sabres will put together a nice little package for Stastny. A young goalie (who may or may not be the next Lundquist but who is tradeable right now--it's Colorado's gamble and that franchise has done nothing without incredible goaltending), a D (suddenly, there is a surfeit), and another player (non-core) for Stastny. And then get that backup G in FA.

Fewer quality centers available as FA's next year than this year. Patrick Sharpe is the only one of note, and he's as much winger as center.

Yeah, but I'd gladly make room for Captain Serious. Gamer.

Ok. Since it's the wish thread, I still wish that the Sabres will put together a nice little package for Stastny. A young goalie (who may or may not be the next Lundquist but who is tradeable right now--it's Colorado's gamble and that franchise has done nothing without incredible goaltending), a D (suddenly, there is a surfeit), and another player (non-core) for Stastny. And then get that backup G in FA.

Interesting. I caught a whole bunch of flak for suggesting we offer up Enroth along with one of our young wingers with upside and a young defenseman for stastny just before the trading deadline. I even suggested signing Mattheau Garon as our backup. !!!ZOMGYOUCANTMOVEENROTHHESAWESOME!!!! was more or less the response.

Interesting. I caught a whole bunch of flak for suggesting we offer up Enroth along with one of our young wingers with upside and a young defenseman for stastny just before the trading deadline. I even suggested signing Mattheau Garon as our backup. !!!ZOMGYOUCANTMOVEENROTHHESAWESOME!!!! was more or less the response.

I think Enroth on the bench is a waste (and I believe it will hurt his development), and I think Enroth in Rochester is stupid, when Enroth can be turned into a center. Just before the trade deadline last near, no; he was needed with a crappy backup--and his stock wasn't as high then, either. But now, wow, it should be like selling gold bullion to a neocon.

I think Enroth on the bench is a waste (and I believe it will hurt his development), and I think Enroth in Rochester is stupid, when Enroth can be turned into a center. Just before the trade deadline last near, no; he was needed with a crappy backup--and his stock wasn't as high then, either. But now, wow, it should be like selling gold bullion to a neocon.

Enroth is gonna play, what? 25 games for Buffalo this year? You bet it makes sense to move a guy who is gonna play 25 games for one that is expected to play 80+, especially if that person plays a top 2 center position.

As for when that trade should be made, my position is that #1 centers are too scarce to pass them up at any time. I won't delve further into the differencs we held in 2010 trade deadline philosophy other than to say we won't find common ground.

Enroth is gonna play, what? 25 games for Buffalo this year? You bet it makes sense to move a guy who is gonna play 25 games for one that is expected to play 80+, especially if that person plays a top 2 center position.

As for when that trade should be made, my position is that #1 centers are too scarce to pass them up at any time. I won't delve further into the differencs we held in 2010 trade deadline philosophy other than to say we won't find common ground.

Since 2010 (and I think you meant 2011) trade deadline is gone, fine. But I think we're in agreement as to right now.

Oh, and no way does Enroth play 25 regular-season games unless Miller is hurt or Lindy is incapacitated.

I am happy with what our team has one so far. What will be needed though in the latter half of the year, if we are sitting in a playoff spot, is more grit.

As the Canucks clearly found out, the latter stages of the playoffs is completely different than the regular season and even the first round. The Canucks got pushed around and they lost because of it. We need to make sure we are ready for the "grind" of the playoffs. The Canucks had tonnes of depth on defense and yet they didn't have enough in the end. It's a war of attrition. As long as we have a plan for the end game then I'm ok with their roster now but they have to make sure they are ready for the way the games are called in the dance. The Bruins won on thuggery in the end, which is a sad commentary on the game, but it's reality unfortunately.

And we'll know if this is in fact the case over the next months, won't we?

Personally I hope you're right, and will openly admit that I was wrong if that turns out to be the case.

But the fact is, at this point - We don't really know, do we? All we have is Brad Boyes, and a rumor that Darcy almost made a trade.

*edit

Don't really know what to believe actually, I'm just scared to death Connolly will be resigned, I HAVE to joke about it :thumbsup:

BUMP - Has enough been completed to openly admit you were wrong (didn't sign TC, brought in three good players). Not only did we not sign him, T.O gives him a raise.

Archived