LGR4GM

Well the season is done and the lockers are bare

Tpegs and darcy are about to prepare

When we as informed fans rose up with a clatter

To voice our ideas on this free agency matter

So to our keyboards we fly and post day and post night

In hopes that one of us might actually guess right

Come one and come all and do speak your mind

but remember we wont be getting stamkos signed!

Who should we sign? What should we sign them to? Who is primed to be traded? Who needs to be traded? RFA's and there potential or lack thereof? UFA's how many just need to be done?

I wanna start with Drew because he has the potential still to be a very useful member of this team. I think he is worth NO MORE than 4mil a year for 3-5yrs. He has not elevated his game to that level of consistency which warrants more money.

Next: Weber should get a raise (1mil for 3-4yrs?) and Sekera maybe a little bit (1.5ish for 3yrs). Gragani is tough guy to place since hes shown up the last month or so but how good is he? Thoughts?

Our single biggest need is at center but there isn't much available at center worth mentioning. Oh, and next year isn't any better. If the thought is to wait a year and get our #1 center as a FA then, you're out of luck cuz 2012 UFA list doesn't have much at center either.

We can probably upgrade defense with an FA signing but right now I think an upgrade at center is going to have to come via trade. That's going to be a tough row to hoe. Teams don't usually give up talented centers.

Well really I don't think our defense needs anything really. Our young guys will be a bit more experienced and this past years FAs should be much improved to, since most defensemen seem to take a season or 2 to fit in with Lind's scheme. Looking at it this is the top 7 i think atm.

Myers Weber

Leopold Butler

MAG Morrison

Sekera

Thats not a bad lineup. The only thing it lacks would be a true top pair guy to go with Myers. If we can get one of thous I would say package a couple D for a center which is a much bigger need

Our single biggest need is at center but there isn't much available at center worth mentioning. Oh, and next year isn't any better. If the thought is to wait a year and get our #1 center as a FA then, you're out of luck cuz 2012 UFA list doesn't have much at center either.

We can probably upgrade defense with an FA signing but right now I think an upgrade at center is going to have to come via trade. That's going to be a tough row to hoe. Teams don't usually give up talented centers.

This.

Well really I don't think our defense needs anything really. Our young guys will be a bit more experienced and this past years FAs should be much improved to, since most defensemen seem to take a season or 2 to fit in with Lind's scheme. Looking at it this is the top 7 i think atm.

Myers Weber

Leopold Butler

MAG Morrison

Sekera

Thats not a bad lineup. The only thing it lacks would be a true top pair guy to go with Myers. If we can get one of thous I would say package a couple D for a center which is a much bigger need

The defense is not good enough

Myers, Weber and Grannani seem like keepers, but Butler and Sekera are average at best.

Peoplod is also a guy I'd keep but Morrisson was worthless, so you want to add two-three

pieces to make the unit better if the goals is to win, and not compete, for the Stanley Cup.

Certainly you don't need to change the entire guard but they need to do a better job of handling

an aggressive forecheck and get the puck out with easy breakouts.

Can Brad Richards be bought? or is he deadset on NYR? We can easily make the money available to give him an $8.7M average cap number contract. We have more space than NYR, but I'm feeling this might be a Drury situation.

Another option is to see if Mr. Black can work his Pens contacts to try and land Malkin/Staal. They have a lot of Scoring that needs to be resigned this summer, and they are very much up against the cap. May be willing to move one of those guys for prospects/picks to free up some space.

Someone on another board pointed out that if money is really no issue for Uncle Terry, then Morrison can be sent to rot in portland to free up $2M. I'd take that money and go after a $4-5M range DEFENSIVE Defenseman.

I'd like the blue line to look like this:

Myers/[NEW GUY]

Leopold/MAG

Butler/Weber

PP Blue line:

Myers/Pommer

Leopold/MAG

Looking through the data, I'd like for the Canucks to keep playing so they don't have time to work on contracts with their UFAs. [New Guy] above should be Christian Erhoff. In 7 seasons he's finish in the minus only once and he averages almost 0.5 points per game. He perfectly fits in the $4-5M range, maybe just a touch higher. Maybe a little more offensively oriented than I intended, but the defensive ability is there. Might change the pairings up a bit, he's the guy.

Forget about Brad Richards ... you wanna pay 8M for a guy that has never scored 30 goals in a NHL season. What makes Richards more valuable than Derek Roy ?

Give me Malkin (assuming he's healthy) who's 6 years younger and I'll fork over the 8M.

After seeing butler wilt in the playoffs Id like him to go followed by morrisonn.

I still think you could use a butler/sekera as part of a package for a center. There are teams that have centers that may have some cap issues so they would be willing to trade for a young def like a sekera or butler type guy.

I dont want more guys on this team that dont compete we need a reliable 80pt guy which i am not sure we could get. Idk if we should go with slightly older or take a chance on a younger guy but we need a big drive to the center or a super duper playmaking center or something inbetween.

Pittsburg just so everyone knows has 44.75 ties up in its top 3 centers and then its top 5 def and its 2 goalies. Which means they have to have 9 more forwards and 2 more def which can equal no more than about 15-16mil or 1.45mil a player. Idk if that measn they have cap issues or not but capgeek says they have 12players signed next year and a projected 13mil in cap space, you need 20 players meaning that if you use capgeek they have 13mil to spend on 8 guys or 1.625mil a person.

EDIT: Malkin is skating again and Pittsburg's conditioning coach will be going to russia this summer to make sure he recovers safely and fully... (wish we had a guy like Malkin)

Looking through the data, I'd like for the Canucks to keep playing so they don't have time to work on contracts with their UFAs. [New Guy] above should be Christian Erhoff. In 7 seasons he's finish in the minus only once and he averages almost 0.5 points per game. He perfectly fits in the $4-5M range, maybe just a touch higher. Maybe a little more offensively oriented than I intended, but the defensive ability is there. Might change the pairings up a bit, he's the guy.

Erhoff is on the verge of greatness. Bring him to me.

Forget about Brad Richards ... you wanna pay 8M for a guy that has never scored 30 goals in a NHL season. What makes Richards more valuable than Derek Roy ?

Give me Malkin (assuming he's healthy) who's 6 years younger and I'll fork over the 8M.

A Conn Smythe and 62 pts in 63 playoff games.

miller, sekera, stafford and our 1st for stamkos... and go

The sad thing about this trade proposal isn't just that the Lightning wouldn't trade Stamkos at this point in his career, it's that the Lightning would find this offer insulting and probably end negotiations.

The sad thing about this trade proposal isn't just that the Lightning wouldn't trade Stamkos at this point in his career, it's that the Lightning would find this offer insulting and probably end negotiations.

it probably works in his NHL11 game, thats probably why he said that.

A Conn Smythe and 62 pts in 63 playoff games.

Richards is still not worth 7-8 million ... Malkin also has a Conn Smythe and 73 pts in 62 games and will always be 6 years younger than Richards.

Man I love Malkin, but really? Futile to even respond since we'll land neither of these players, but I will pay what it takes to get Richards. And the Roy comparison.......:thumbdown:

Richards is still not worth 7-8 million ... Malkin also has a Conn Smythe and 73 pts in 62 games and will always be 6 years younger than Richards.

Malkin is signed through 2013-14 at about $9 mill per season ($8.7 cap hit). Richards is a UFA. For arguments sake let's say Pittsburgh is willing to deal Malkin. Richards will only cost the value of his contract. Malkin will cost the Sabres not only the value of the contract but compensation to Pittsburgh as well. Compensation which would likely begin with Myers, Ennis, a prospect and a pick. At the end of the day which deal makes the Sabres better. Richards signed and the Sabres keeping Myers, Ennis and whatever else or trading for Malkin and creating a huge hole in the defense and taking some young talent out of your forwards ranks. Straight up Malkin is the better player. Sometimes there is more to it than simply who is the better player.

Malkin is signed through 2013-14 at about $9 mill per season ($8.7 cap hit). Richards is a UFA. For arguments sake let's say Pittsburgh is willing to deal Malkin. Richards will only cost the value of his contract. Malkin will cost the Sabres not only the value of the contract but compensation to Pittsburgh as well. Compensation which would likely begin with Myers, Ennis, a prospect and a pick. At the end of the day which deal makes the Sabres better. Richards signed and the Sabres keeping Myers, Ennis and whatever else or trading for Malkin and creating a huge hole in the defense and taking some young talent out of your forwards ranks. Straight up Malkin is the better player. Sometimes there is more to it than simply who is the better player.

Valid points ...but Richards will want a long-term deal at 7-8 million. How can we afford to pay him, Vanek, Pominville & Miller and then come up with more $ for Stafford & Myers ? So players would have to go in either scenario ... bottom line, with all other things

being equal, Richards would go to the Rangers over us.

Valid points ...but Richards will want a long-term deal at 7-8 million. How can we afford to pay him, Vanek, Pominville & Miller and then come up with more $ for Stafford & Myers ? So players would have to go in either scenario ... bottom line, with all other things

being equal, Richards would go to the Rangers over us.

That is why I would trade a pick to Dallas for negotiating rights before July 1st. Let's see if the Pegula Magic is real.

There is room to sign Richards. If more room is needed it can be made. First off Stafford is at the bottom of the list of priorities. Myers is signed for another year. He can be next off-seasons top priority. Not to mention moving players like Boyes, Hecht and Morrisonn. Those three players alone can save $9.5 mil of cap space if traded or sent to the minors.

That is why I would trade a pick to Dallas for negotiating rights before July 1st. Let's see if the Pegula Magic is real.

There is room to sign Richards. If more room is needed it can be made. First off Stafford is at the bottom of the list of priorities. Myers is signed for another year. He can be next off-seasons top priority. Not to mention moving players like Boyes, Hecht and Morrisonn. Those three players alone can save $9.5 mil of cap space if traded or sent to the minors.

I'm not clear on how negotiating rights work, but if Richards doesn't want to come to Buffalo, we can't do anything about it. I disagree about Staff; he is streaky, but being an RFA some team will throw out an offer sheet and we'll then have to match.

Either we want him or we don't ... I personally think we should sign him. I agree with moving Hecht and Morrison if we can find any takers. but I think Boyes warrants another look next season. Mancari can replace Hecht and Gragnani will fill Morrisson's

shoes nicely. But who wants them ? Will we have to buy them out ?

I'm not clear on how negotiating rights work, but if Richards doesn't want to come to Buffalo, we can't do anything about it. I disagree about Staff; he is streaky, but being an RFA some team will throw out an offer sheet and we'll then have to match.

Either we want him or we don't ... I personally think we should sign him. I agree with moving Hecht and Morrison if we can find any takers. but I think Boyes warrants another look next season. Mancari can replace Hecht and Gragnani will fill Morrisson's

shoes nicely. But who wants them ? Will we have to buy them out ?

Morrisonn you dont buy out you trade him this summer or at the deadline when someones desperate or you send him to portland.

Stafford gets a offer sheet for at least 5 mil and we get a bunch picks so I would say c-yah, I am not paying him pommers money when hes never done anything except for one time make it to 30 goals.

Hecht has skills that no one ever sees because hes another one of those stupid defensive forwards that we keep bringing in for some stupid reason. I bet you could trade him to a team like edmonton or somewhere that needs a vet with his skills for a couple years

Brad Richards is a playmaker for Vanek thats why you go after him. You wanna talk Malkin then fine, hes Pittsburg best or second best player and hes singed for a few years so to pry him out of there is gonna take something more than pegula magic. The only thing here is that we have guys in the front office like Black who have ties to pittsburg.

Stamkos forget it and move on hes not going anywhere.

If we're paying Pommer 5.3 and Vanek 7 mill, I say Richards is worth at least 7 and possibly 8.

I like Malkin and see your point, but you asked what the difference between Richards and Roy was, and the difference IMHO is staggering.

Archived