Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Nice! When I was 10 my family took a cross country vacation Clark Griswold Style (Chrysler K car in lieu of the family truckster), when in Washington state my Dad took us to the Olympia/Hamm's brewery tour (we also did A-B in St. Louis). He bought a six pack of Hamm's and brought it home with us with the intention of saving two cans, one each for my brother and I to enjoy as our "first beer" when we reached legal drinking age. Yes, he intended to keep two cans of beer for nearly 11 years, only to eventually poison both my brother and I with it. However, his plan was foiled after about six years when a friend of his was over and grabbed one of the cans out of the fridge, popped it open, took a big swig and then proceeded to spew the foul brew all over our kitchen. I've never had the opportunity to try a Hamm's beer since, but something tells me I'm not missing much.

]Hamms.jpg

Nice! When I was 10 my family took a cross country vacation Clark Griswold Style (Chrysler K car in lieu of the family truckster), when in Washington state my Dad took us to the Olympia/Hamm's brewery tour (we also did A-B in St. Louis). He bought a six pack of Hamm's and brought it home with us with the intention of saving two cans, one each for my brother and I to enjoy as our "first beer" when we reached legal drinking age. Yes, he intended to keep two cans of beer for nearly 11 years, only to eventually poison both my brother and I with it. However, his plan was foiled after about six years when a friend of his was over and grabbed one of the cans out of the fridge, popped it open, took a big swig and then proceeded to spew the foul brew all over our kitchen. I've never had the opportunity to try a Hamm's beer since, but something tells me I'm not missing much.

Great Story!!

Hamm's the Beer Refreshing!!

Picked up bottles of Balvenie 12 Doublewood (sms), Macallan 12 (sms), and WhistlePig 10 (straight rye). All are smooth and uniquely delicious.

Whistle Pig is some pricey stuff. It's on my to do list.

• 4 weeks later...

Just opened a new bottle of wild Turkey Rare Breed, a barrel proof dandy. What is interesting is, Wild Turkey barrels their bourbons at a lower proof than most everyone else, typically around 115.

Initial sample is neat and uncut. Color is a deep, dark amber. Nose is dominated by alcohol and sweet caramel. On the tongue spice and alcohol dominates. Lots of cinnamon notes. Plenty of heat from the ethanol too. and an almost butter toffee character. But it has a woody component that is not at all objectionable, and seems to dissipate as the glass stands. Lots of viscous mouthfeel. The finish is long and intense. Dry, a little of freshly sawn oak, subdued cinnamon, and vanilla.

Add some water to get it down closer to 90 proof and the nose really opens up. Now I get cinnamon and vanilla on the nose along with the ethanol. Caramel dominates the tongue. It's still spicy but not as readily identifiable as cinnamon anymore, the rye in the recipe is really shining here. And the woody/oak character still shows through. The mouthfeel has alot less viscosity to it now.

Nice, complex pour. and very different in character from run of the mill Turkey. It is smooth yet spicy. And it is overpowering my Rocky Patel v1999 a bit right now. Next time I probalby won't add the water. The nose may open up with water but it is more interesting on the palate uncut.

• 2 weeks later...

I am ridiculously excited to try Finger Lakes Distilling's McKenzie Wheated Bourbon. Can't come out soon enough.

Also, Craft Bourbon is apparently on the rise. This is an exceedingly good thing:

http://digital.copcomm.com/i/133302/24

Get outta my head!

I just read that article about McKenzie's wheated bourbon a few minutes ago. Next time I'm on the wine trail I'll give it a sample.

They better have aged it in bigger barrels. :devil:

Edited by weave

Just curious -- what is it about this one that has both of you anxious to try it? I thought the general consensus was FLD's bourbon was underaged... is it something different about the whiskey style, or just the early reviews?

Just curious -- what is it about this one that has both of you anxious to try it? I thought the general consensus was FLD's bourbon was underaged... is it something different about the whiskey style, or just the early reviews?

I am a big fan of wheated bourbons, of which this is one. They have a different overall character than rye based bourbons. My two favorite drams are Van Winkle Lot B and Weller Antique, both of which are made by Buffalo Trace, and both are wheated bourbons. Other examples of wheated bourbons include Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve.

But if this one is quick aged in small barrels I expect I'll be disappointed.

Every independent review of it has been outstanding, and they claim to have been working on it for years, they (the distillery) are also 4 years old now, which is the age of most entry level bourbons, I'm guessing that this is their first entry into the big boy club and I am excited.

I also love wheated bourbons. so there's that.

They have a Wheat Whiskey out right now. Maybe I'll try that to get me through...

I saw a blog post somewhere that said they are expecting to have it available closer to Fall.

Thought I read June somewhere, but maybe it was in reference to the whiskey GCoE mentioned? In either case, I'm sure you fine gentlemen will have a chance to try it before I do.

Being polish/Italian buffalo, I have learned to be favored to the rye family through experience. Bullit rye through four roses Kentucky distillery has been the best thing going. Almost like drinking for your blood type theory.

The ten year is even more of an experience if you can get your hands on. If you like Jim beam as a house bourbon, bullit is the way to go.

They have a Wheat Whiskey out right now. Maybe I'll try that to get me through...

I've got a bottle of Berheim's wheat whiskey (Heaven Hill distillery - same folks that make Elijah Craig) in my cabinet. It is really soft, subtle stuff. Nice change of pace but generally I like more complexity in my whiskey. If theirs is anywhere near as good as Bernheim's I'll be impressed.

For you rye fans..... Last month I nabbed a bottle of Sazerac Rye. Sazerac has two bottlings, one is ultra premium and about $80/750mL, the other is about $30/750mL. I bought the lattter. 2nd time I've picked up a bottle of "Baby Saz". Really fantastic middle-of-the-road rye. Enjoying a glass this afternoon. A touch grassy, spicy, solid barrel notes of vanilla and caramel, but always the spicy rye is in the forefront. Thick, viscous mouthfeel. Smooth as silk. I don't know why I don't purchase this more often. It is great stuff.

Premier Liquors on Transit Road had it last month.

For you rye fans..... Last month I nabbed a bottle of Sazerac Rye. Sazerac has two bottlings, one is ultra premium and about $80/750mL, the other is about $30/750mL. I bought the lattter. 2nd time I've picked up a bottle of "Baby Saz". Really fantastic middle-of-the-road rye. Enjoying a glass this afternoon. A touch grassy, spicy, solid barrel notes of vanilla and caramel, but always the spicy rye is in the forefront. Thick, viscous mouthfeel. Smooth as silk. I don't know why I don't purchase this more often. It is great stuff.

Premier Liquors on Transit Road had it last month.

I find that there are few pleasures in life greater than settling down to a rye Manhattan.

I can't tell if that is sad or not.

Had two new ones this week:

Friday evening we stopped in to Bacchus before the game, and I had their Manhattan with Bulleit Rye. Very good, and even cooler because it came in a short glass with one giant square ice cube. (What can I say; I'm a sucker for presentation.) I'd definitely have that one again.

Tonight it's Monkey Shoulder Triple Malt Scotch Whisky (http://www.thewhisky...com/P-5016.aspx). Not overly complicated, but easy-drinking, nice sweet aroma, and for the price ($33) I'd say it's well-worth it.

Had the Monkey Shoulder tonight. Interesting stuff. I'm a bourbon guy. I keep trying Scotch. And there are a few I enjoy. But none as much as I enjoy bourbon. But Monkey Shoulder was tasty. Low on peat-y phenols. And nice and smooth. I could compare this to , say, Maker's Mark, a good gateway into the genre. A bit sweet. I could really pick

up the flavor of the malted barley. A subtle peat smoke mostly on the finish. Overall I enjoyed it as much as any Scotch I've had. Nice stuff

Thanks for the heads up, Bio..

Glad you liked it! Tonight I'm sipping Eagle Rare in honor of National Bourbon Day. :thumbsup: I also ordered a bottle of EH Taylor Jr small batch bourbon, so I'm looking forward to trying that when it arrives.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.