Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

You guys are killing me.....I am about to have 72 hours of open bar with all the Makers and Woodford I want, but I need to be a semi-good boy.

Word of advice....don't start with a mint julep. You might as well pour some Robutussin over some ice and suck on a mint sprig. I love manhattans but I won't even touch a julep anymore. MAYBE just one this year for luck, but I can see being turned off quick by it.

Drunkies I tell ya.....

I LOVE a good julep.

Where do you have 72 hours of open bar, and why do you have to be a semi-good boy in such a situation?

I LOVE a good julep.

Where do you have 72 hours of open bar, and why do you have to be a semi-good boy in such a situation?

I was all psyched to have one the first time in Kentucky and I just couldn't handle it. I've tried a couple "good ones" since and it just is not good for me. Like the Lewis Black bit on candy corn...."Every year at Halloween there is a bowl of candy corn sitting on the table....and me, like a fool....as if I have never seen such a delight before in my life....reach for the bowl, and put some in my mouth."

I'm in Kentucky this year for the big show with all the perks, but need to represent well. I'm a well mannered drunkie, but don't want to call Bruce Budreau an oompah loompa on NBC.

I was all psyched to have one the first time in Kentucky and I just couldn't handle it. I've tried a couple "good ones" since and it just is not good for me. Like the Lewis Black bit on candy corn...."Every year at Halloween there is a bowl of candy corn sitting on the table....and me, like a fool....as if I have never seen such a delight before in my life....reach for the bowl, and put some in my mouth."

I'm in Kentucky this year for the big show with all the perks, but need to represent well. I'm a well mannered drunkie, but don't want to call Bruce Budreau an oompah loompa on NBC.

Very cool. Have a great time (when you go). I've never been to the Derby. I have been to the Preakness, but what goes on there is more suited to a discussion of human casualties than it is to a discussion about good whisky.

Very cool. Have a great time (when you go). I've never been to the Derby. I have been to the Preakness, but what goes on there is more suited to a discussion of human casualties than it is to a discussion about good whisky.

If you stay out of the infield for the Preakness, it is under control for the most part. Seats are a lot cheaper than the Derby as well.

I will have fun...thanks.

For bourbon I have recently become a fan of Buffalo Trace, it's cheap and far better than it's Kentucky distilled brothers. Plus...BUFFALO, need I say more? Favorite bourbon mixed drink is certainly an old fashioned, though bitters isn't for everyone.

I am currently working on a handle of BT, so glad my roomate ###### up and got me the handle rather than the liter or 750. Also, Bulleitt is right up there, try it, about $35/liter, but worth it. It's a bit different and takes a little getting used to, but once you get it, it's amazing.

For bourbon I have recently become a fan of Buffalo Trace, it's cheap and far better than it's Kentucky distilled brothers. Plus...BUFFALO, need I say more? Favorite bourbon mixed drink is certainly an old fashioned, though bitters isn't for everyone.

I will not drink a Manhattan built without bitters.

• 2 months later...

Okay, so this came up in the Complaint Thursdays thread this week and since a lot of you seem to know your alcohol, figured I'd ask this here. I'm primarily a vodka drinker; I enjoy the clean taste and versatility in mixing, but I'm a little bored with it. I also enjoy light rum in a mojito during warmer weather, but I'd like to try whiskey or scotch. So what I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me with is: just how does one begin drinking whiskey or scotch? I'd eventually like to get to the point of being able to enjoy some of the good stuff neat or on the rocks, but I'm guessing I'll need to work up to that point since I don't drink it now. Two main questions come to mind:

1) What are some good "starter" liquors, i.e. something good enough I'll have a chance at liking, but not so good that I'll hate myself if I buy a bottle and don't end up liking it, and

2) Is it best to start with a mixer, or jump right in with the undiluted stuff?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated -- thanks in advance for the help!

So, how's that booze thing workin out for ya? I bought a handle of Beam and made an extra tasty Manhattan last night and it reminded me of this thread.

So, how's that booze thing workin out for ya? I bought a handle of Beam and made an extra tasty Manhattan last night and it reminded me of this thread.

Darn Masters thesis kept me from pursuing this further until more recently, but I did buy the book that Braedon and Weave recommended and it's a good read. Thus far I've tried more scotch than bourbon; the MacAllan 12 is good, and I picked up a bottle of this when it was on sale around Father's Day. Still working on acquiring the taste, but I don't hate it. I tried Knob Creek bourbon the other day and holy cow, that one burns! I've yet to try a Manhattan because the idea of vermouth is a little off-putting, but I'm still curious and plan to give it a whirl. Thinking about getting some of those nifty ice cube makers from the article nobody linked, or maybe these.

Edit: Almost forgot, but I did try Buffalo Trace bourbon and that is a winner... it was kind of a girlie drink (apple smash), but very good.

Darn Masters thesis kept me from pursuing this further until more recently, but I did buy the book that Braedon and Weave recommended and it's a good read. Thus far I've tried more scotch than bourbon; the MacAllan 12 is good, and I picked up a bottle of this when it was on sale around Father's Day. Still working on acquiring the taste, but I don't hate it. I tried Knob Creek bourbon the other day and holy cow, that one burns! I've yet to try a Manhattan because the idea of vermouth is a little off-putting, but I'm still curious and plan to give it a whirl. Thinking about getting some of those nifty ice cube makers from the article nobody linked, or maybe these.

Edit: Almost forgot, but I did try Buffalo Trace bourbon and that is a winner... it was kind of a girlie drink (apple smash), but very good.

If you liked MacAllan 12 try Oban 14. I think you'll like that one too.

Knob Creek is a higher proof bourbon so I'm not suprised that you felt lke it burned. Certainly not a pour for a bourbon newbie. Another thing Knob has is alot of rye. Rye ends up tasting spicy so I can see where it might overwhelm your palate too. There are a number of bourbons that use wheat instead of rye. Those are the ones I suggest you try because the wheat gives it a much softer flavor. The most common brand of bourbon that uses wheat is Maker's Mark, and it is a good into into bourbon. If you can find it, try WL Weller Special Reserve. It also is a wheat based bourbon and is as soft on the palate as Maker's Mark but it is a little more complex and interesting.

As for finding a Manhatten offputting because of the vermouth, make one with just a splash of vermouth. It gives the whiskey a nice round sweetness with just a touch of herbal nuance. Just a touch will add a little sweetness and complexity without it being identifyable as vermouth. If you really want to make the drink interesting pick up a bottle of bitters at the grocery store and add 3 or so dashes to your drink.

I've been doing some of my own whisky exploring of late. A local bar owner is now stocking a rather impressive selection of bourbon and whisky. Got to drink a little Tobermory 10 yr this past Saturday and I was impressed. The owner has me hooked. And he's slowly turning this bourbon drinker into a Scotch drinker. He lent me his DVD copy of Whisky Series. I may have to put it in the player tonight.

Knob Creek is a higher proof bourbon so I'm not suprised that you felt lke it burned. Certainly not a pour for a bourbon newbie. Another thing Knob has is alot of rye. Rye ends up tasting spicy so I can see where it might overwhelm your palate too. There are a number of bourbons that use wheat instead of rye. Those are the ones I suggest you try because the wheat gives it a much softer flavor. The most common brand of bourbon that uses wheat is Maker's Mark, and it is a good into into bourbon. If you can find it, try WL Weller Special Reserve. It also is a wheat based bourbon and is as soft on the palate as Maker's Mark but it is a little more complex and interesting.

As for finding a Manhatten offputting because of the vermouth, make one with just a splash of vermouth. It gives the whiskey a nice round sweetness with just a touch of herbal nuance. Just a touch will add a little sweetness and complexity without it being identifyable as vermouth. If you really want to make the drink interesting pick up a bottle of bitters at the grocery store and add 3 or so dashes to your drink.

I've been doing some of my own whisky exploring of late. A local bar owner is now stocking a rather impressive selection of bourbon and whisky. Got to drink a little Tobermory 10 yr this past Saturday and I was impressed. The owner has me hooked. And he's slowly turning this bourbon drinker into a Scotch drinker. He lent me his DVD copy of Whisky Series. I may have to put it in the player tonight.

Well, that was quite a post.

I agree on Oban and Maker's mark.

BTW, I just picked up a new (to me) single malt at the duty free called Ancnoc. Very nice.

Well, that was quite a post.

I agree on Oban and Maker's mark.

BTW, I just picked up a new (to me) single malt at the duty free called Ancnoc. Very nice.

Keep at it Bio, sounds like you're settling in nicely. I've tasted Glenrothes Select Rsv but never any of their Vintage Malts. Let me know if it grows on you. And BTW, the thesis is supposed to ENHANCE your pursuit, not deter.

Weave is on his way to becoming a dirt water connoisseur....welcome to the dark side :clapping:

I haven't tried an Cnoc in it's current form, however have had a dram of Knockdhu which was the name of the same distillery for over 100 years. I like Oban as well, however always seem to return to the peat on Islay.

Right now, Laphroaig's Quarter Cask is my poison.

Bourbon tasting next time you and the bf are in Buffalo.

Weave is on his way to becoming a dirt water connoisseur....welcome to the dark side :clapping:

And the wife is NOT happy about it. Not only has my bottle collection doubled since May, I now have a very good excuse to disappear on Friday evenings for a couple hours. Most of the time she comes along but it is grudgingly. The bar owner and I tend to disappear down into the basement to sample and discuss his latest purchases and Momma is left with the bartender for a bit. Good thing the bartender is a personable young lady !

So glad this thread was revived - it's one of my favorite OT's!

Some great comments on bourbons (thanks, Weave) and new suggestions for single malts to try - I'll begin my search tomorrow.

As far as Manhattans, here's another suggestion for everyone's consideration. If you've never had one made with Carpano Antica Formula vermouth, do yourself a favor and do so. This is supposedly the original vermouth from Italy, and it tastes nothing like the sweet Martini & Rossi types that we are so used to. It is expensive (like $40 or more a bottle) and made in small quantities. It is hard to describe the taste, but there are notes of dried fruits, dates, spices and vanilla - it is unique! However, mixed with a smooth bourbon like Woodfords, and a dash of bitters if you prefer, and you have a smashing drink (pun intended!) I can not go back to a plain old Manhattan anymore. You might want to order one out at a bar the first time, just in case it is TOO different for you and you don't want to invest in a whole bottle of the Carpano Antica, but I think you'll like it!

Keep the suggestions and anecdotes coming!

Yep. You want to barely see the color of the whiskey change.

So glad this thread was revived - it's one of my favorite OT's!

Some great comments on bourbons (thanks, Weave) and new suggestions for single malts to try - I'll begin my search tomorrow.

As far as Manhattans, here's another suggestion for everyone's consideration. If you've never had one made with Carpano Antica Formula vermouth, do yourself a favor and do so. This is supposedly the original vermouth from Italy, and it tastes nothing like the sweet Martini & Rossi types that we are so used to. It is expensive (like $40 or more a bottle) and made in small quantities. It is hard to describe the taste, but there are notes of dried fruits, dates, spices and vanilla - it is unique! However, mixed with a smooth bourbon like Woodfords, and a dash of bitters if you prefer, and you have a smashing drink (pun intended!) I can not go back to a plain old Manhattan anymore. You might want to order one out at a bar the first time, just in case it is TOO different for you and you don't want to invest in a whole bottle of the Carpano Antica, but I think you'll like it!

Keep the suggestions and anecdotes coming!

It's on the list. :thumbsup: I never buy a liter of vermouth, so at $35 a liter, that's not that expensive.

Too many posts to reply to everyone, but love all the suggestions and advice! I've been keeping a "cheat sheet" of the brands to look for so I'm prepared when I go out. :thumbsup: The bf drinks Oban, so I may have to retry his one of these days. Lately he's been talking about taking a trip to Ireland, and after this thread the first thing I thought of was whiskey tasting, haha. Not sure how serious he is about it just yet, but that would be pretty sweet. And Eleven, I'm going to hold you to that. :)

Too many posts to reply to everyone, but love all the suggestions and advice! I've been keeping a "cheat sheet" of the brands to look for so I'm prepared when I go out. :thumbsup: The bf drinks Oban, so I may have to retry his one of these days. Lately he's been talking about taking a trip to Ireland, and after this thread the first thing I thought of was whiskey tasting, haha. Not sure how serious he is about it just yet, but that would be pretty sweet. And Eleven, I'm going to hold you to that. :)

Just let me know and I'll set it up somewhere.

We can do that too !!

I would figure.

I used to smoke them all the time. The office used to be down the road from Mike's Cigars in Miami and that made it just too easy. They would get all the General Cigar seconds and sell them for 30 cents on the dollar. They also would get all kinds of special editions and such. It was like walking into FAO Schwartz at Christmas. They are online but you can't always get the special treatment. Still great specials and solid prices.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.