Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

15 hours ago, Weave said:

Went back through the first pages of this thread to relive the twists and turns.  Holy cow does this stick out.

My how things have changed since 2011.  Rip Van Winkle is aka Pappy 10yr.  $6 a glass.  At a bar.  Triple or quadruple that today.  If you can find it.  Ahhh.. the good old days.

Various members of the Pappy family were on the list at Marble + Rye this weekend. I was tempted. But not for $40-120 bucks for a 1 oz pour. 

17 hours ago, Weave said:

Went back through the first pages of this thread to relive the twists and turns.  Holy cow does this stick out.

My how things have changed since 2011.  Rip Van Winkle is aka Pappy 10yr.  $6 a glass.  At a bar.  Triple or quadruple that today.  If you can find it.  Ahhh.. the good old days.

1 hour ago, josie said:

Various members of the Pappy family were on the list at Marble + Rye this weekend. I was tempted. But not for $40-120 bucks for a 1 oz pour. 

I was at a beer festival a couple years ago at Riverworks in the VIP section (I usually spend extra for VIP mostly because they include food and a place to sit down) and they were pouring tastes (read: shots) of some Pappy for no extra cost. It was like a 40-60 dollar ticket for the VIP section. The people pouring had no idea how valuable the bottles were, and seemingly noone else did either.  My one friend pretty much spent the whole time going from that tasting spot to the food and back.

I'm not a big whiskey guy, but goddamn that was good.

• 2 weeks later...

Artificial tongue whiskey.

If you do an internet search of that phrase you will find that *scientists*  are willing to sell you something that may tell you that your whiskey purchase may be a scam. 

I didn't know the fraudulent whiskey market was so bad it needed an official taste tester.

I just got back from Scotland, so I thought I should contribute:

Scotland is truly whisky heaven. I could order extremely fine (18yr +) single malts for less than 10 pounds, as they were "single's" (.85oz, I believe). This meant I could focus on variety, and the bars had whiskys that I really couldn't find anywhere else.

Highlights:

Oban Little Bay

Similar to the standard Oban 14, but a tad lighter, more floral, and a touch sweeter. Enjoyed very much, even though I usually prefer heavier, peatier whiskys. I had this in the town of Oban after visiting the distillery

Auchentoshan Three Wood

I remember it being rich with beautiful oak notes permeating. Not overly peaty, but peat is still present. Very enjoyable for the price, although not as smooth as older whiskys.

Glenfiddich 18

This was actually more of a "low"light for me. I've enjoyed the 12yr from time to time, but I found the 18 year not much more interesting or complex. Was smoother than the 12, but not much else. I usually don't opt for Speyside whiskys, though, so I'm biased

Bunnahabhain 18

This one was the star of my trip. Rich, smooth, toffee, chocolate, with an incredible finish. This is the bottle I should have brought home with me. Luckily I can find it close-by for slightly more than $100

Ledaig 18

The bar I wanted to try this at was out of it, so I bought a bottle without actually tasting it, because the description was just so tantalizing. See for yourself:

Sip to find powerful rich, sherried, herbal smoky flavours with orange peel, coffee, a touch of sea salt, tobacco and white pepper.

The finish is long and quite pungent with more smoke and a delightful hint of liquorice and sea spray.

It is a good whisky. To me, I'd say it's essence is more of a refined Laphroaig 10. I don't necessarily get all of the notes described, but it's still complex, smooth, and satisfying.

20190802_093654.thumb.jpg.3b86e682f6bcd0619d4afec8437f27d6.jpg

Lagavulin 16

I've had this many times, but this trip solidified it as my "go to" whisky. The richness, the sweetness, and the intense smoke/peat just hits all the right spots for me. From now on, if I only have one bottle of whisky in my house, it will be this

regret not getting to try Oban Distiller's Edition. They were out of it in the bars in Oban, and I didn't want to buy a bottle without trying it. Even though I do like Oban 14, it is not my favorite, so it wasn't worth the risk. I've heard really great things about it, though.

Edited by erickompositör72
  • Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Glenlivet is getting dragged all over social media today for their new, completely horrible idea of whisky wrapped in edible seaweed pods. This is genius marketing and I truly mean that. They'll have a huge sales spike now.

• 1 month later...

I have a glass of William Larue Weller sitting in front of me.  Just a hair over 125 proof.  The liquid is dark.  Seriously dark.  I wonder how long this stuff sat in a barrel?

Butterscotch and a hint of cherry on the nose.  Like a Werthers candy waved over a jar of Morello cherries.  Simple syrup on the tongue that turns to cherry and then a crashing wave of pepper that fades to burnt sugar and eventually vanilla.  Long, long vanilla and oak finish.

It needs a bit of water to bring this all out.  At full proof the alcohol really intensifies the pepper and it dominates and overwhelms.

This is one of the very few whiskeys I’ve had where the flavors come in big waves.  The pepper absolutely bursts out of the sweet, viscous start, and the cherry and vanilla show up equally suddenly.

This is a treat.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/10/2019 at 12:14 AM, ubkev said:

Wild Turkey 101 might be the best $19 whiskey.

Four Roses.

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Boy this pour changes after some time in the glass.  The pepper mutes somewhat and it gets real buttery. And the cherry shows up more in the finsh.

I will find a way to get there...

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.