[OT] Easter Chocolate

SwampD

I just want to say that I have no affiliation to this place other than I believe in supporting local (WNY) businesses.

If you haven't gotten your Easter candy yet, I highly suggest going to Platters Chocolates in North Tonawanda. My family has been buying there for as long as I can remember. My sister brought down a box of their orange chocolates last weekend and I had forgotten how much I love it. We had a "Taste of Buffalo" party last year here in Jersey and everyone loved their sponge candy (and most had never heard of it before).

If anyone else knows of some other good local favorites, I would love to know of them (preferably with links). I have no problem sending some of my NJ dollars that way.

I just want to say that I have no affiliation to this place other than I believe in supporting local (WNY) businesses.

If you haven't gotten your Easter candy yet, I highly suggest going to Platters Chocolates in North Tonawanda. My family has been buying there for as long as I can remember. My sister brought down a box of their orange chocolates last weekend and I had forgotten how much I love it. We had a "Taste of Buffalo" party last year here in Jersey and everyone loved their sponge candy (and most had never heard of it before).

If anyone else knows of some other good local favorites, I would love to know of them (preferably with links). I have no problem sending some of my NJ dollars that way.

Sponge candy brings back fond memories of my childhood. I remember going to my first movie in the old church which doubled as a theatre across the street from where I grew up. My Dad brought my younger brother and myself to ' Paint your wagon ' with Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood and I think Ann Margaret. Sponge candy was on the menu. If I was in Buffalo I'd go get some at Platters for sure. Its like a culinary deja vu just hearing about it. Thanks swamp,you've stirred a good memory.

Sponge candy brings back fond memories of my childhood. I remember going to my first movie in the old church which doubled as a theatre across the street from where I grew up. My Dad brought my younger brother and myself to ' Paint your wagon ' with Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood and I think Ann Margaret. Sponge candy was on the menu. If I was in Buffalo I'd go get some at Platters for sure. Its like a culinary deja vu just hearing about it. Thanks swamp,you've stirred a good memory.

:thumbsup:

That's so far from South Buffalo...

C'mon. You can get anywhere in 20 minutes.

SPONGE CANDY.......heaven. Can't say I've ever been to Platters. When family comes down here to visit, they bring us boxes of sponge candy from Watsons. We have NOTHING down here in the form of chocolate factories. You know where people get there easter chocolate? Target.

I find myself very curious about this "sponge candy" -- keep hearing it on those radio ads for BuffaloFoods.com but have no idea what it is. I went to checkout the website Swamp recommends, and this is too funny:

chocolate Buffalo chicken wings?!

Here's a good description:

About Sponge Candy in general

I prefer dark chocolate sponge candy though.

we make a mail order every year to Platter's

this year we have the bonus o stopping at Antoinette's in Depew last month- the Easter Bunny done food this year

I wouldn't mind opening this up to anything locally made, not just candy and not just food, whether it be candles, ukeleles, art, or even cuckoo clocks.

The last time I was in WNY I was driving on Maxon Rd (a nothing little country road outside of Attica) and there were all these tables and gazebos in front of this woodshop/barn. They were a really neat design and well made. I find these small businesses fascinating and would much rather pay a little more for something like that than go to Home Depot and overpay for something that's going to fall apart in a year. I'm probably going to pick a table up this Summer for the patio.

Archived