Miller vs. Boucher

LabattBlue

I didn't realize Boucher had as much success in the playoffs until I looked it up. At least from a statistical perspective, I'd have thought that Miller would be a lot more impressive than the forgettable Brian Boucher.

Miller

GP - 42

W - 23

L - 19

GAA - 2.40

Save% - .917

Boucher

GP - 35

W - 18

L - 14

GAA - 2.18

Save% - .914

This loss isnt on Miller. But for the sabres to win this series he needed to be making the saves expected of an NHL caliber goalie. He wiffed on the first goal and got them behind the eight ball from the start. The other two goals are on the d, but he needs to make the easy saves, which is something he seems to struggle with more than most NHLers out there. There is no argument he is a great goalie who bails out his team often, but to make 6 million a year he should also be able to stop the pedestrian shots. We get too similar of a performance out of Enroth to justify paying this guys outrageous paycheck any more.

He's "supposedly" a superstar. He's certainly getting paid like one. Superstars step up in important games, I don't care who's fault they are. If we're going to have an average goaltender that we can't rely on in big games let's get a goaltender that's getting paid like an average goaltender you can't rely on in big games.

Boucher in his career is 20 games below .500 and barely breaking .900 career save % and he's outplayed Miller 2 straight games.

Let's not forget the team playing in front of the goalie - that has an effect on GAA and W-L too.

Agreed! Boucher didn't have to make any spectacular saves, just good saves and good positioning. On the 5-3 he wasn't tested enough. We need guys picking up rebounds. Outside of Gerbes goal, I saw 3 or 4 reb ounds left by Boucher in or near the crease and no one put the puck home (Boyes for one). Boucher's best stop, perhaps, was ripping his mask off in the heat of a 5 on 3. That killed the flow of that advantage. May have been bad luck for us as I can't blame him for wanting to fix a loose mask.

Agreed! Boucher didn't have to make any spectacular saves, just good saves and good positioning. On the 5-3 he wasn't tested enough. We need guys picking up rebounds. Outside of Gerbes goal, I saw 3 or 4 reb ounds left by Boucher in or near the crease and no one put the puck home (Boyes for one). Boucher's best stop, perhaps, was ripping his mask off in the heat of a 5 on 3. That killed the flow of that advantage. May have been bad luck for us as I can't blame him for wanting to fix a loose mask.

that was a good play and it wasn't loose..... just a tough spot for a ref to call a delay.

I thought Boucher gave up quite a few rebounds, he's very beatable. But he was good enough.

Funny, the same could be said for at least 2 of the 3 goals allowed by Miller. Had he saved them, we wouldn't be calling them spectacular saves.

Blame the defense all you want, but as someone else pointed out, we could be paying someone 5 mil. less to allow those goals... and perhaps spend that extra money on someone who's going to actually score for us.

that was a good play and it wasn't loose..... just a tough spot for a ref to call a delay.

I thought Boucher gave up quite a few rebounds, he's very beatable. But he was good enough.

Like on Gerbes goal, that was a pathetic rebound. They can beat this jouneymen goalie if they get the shots

Funny, the same could be said for at least 2 of the 3 goals allowed by Miller. Had he saved them, we wouldn't be calling them spectacular saves.

Blame the defense all you want, but as someone else pointed out, we could be paying someone 5 mil. less to allow those goals... and perhaps spend that extra money on someone who's going to actually score for us.

I think if he saved #2 or #3 they would have been holy week miracles. :beer:

He was hung out to dry. I didn't see Boucher hung out.

Gonna be hard to win the series when our star goalie keeps getting outplayed by a career backup...

And we have no centers, and the one we do have hasn't scored in 25 straight playoff games.

This series is by no means over, but I'm seeing the exact same issues with the exact same players that we saw against Boston last year.

Maybe getting knocked off in the first isn't such a bad thing. At least the shortcomings won't be as easily dismissed :(

And we have no centers, and the one we do have hasn't scored in 25 straight playoff games.

This series is by no means over, but I'm seeing the exact same issues with the exact same players that we saw against Boston last year.

Maybe getting knocked off in the first isn't such a bad thing. At least the shortcomings won't be as easily dismissed :(

We can hope.

We can hope.

I know it sounds all doom and gloom, and I've said similar things in the past, but seriously :

Did anyone here expect the same people to magically turn into a contender overnight just because they got a new owner?

Championship teams are built over time, and the perfect time to start is this off-season.

I dont' want this team to lose, but if losing means they become a better team down the stretch, then I have to say I don't mind as much. Or at least, that's what I keep telling myself. God, I hate the Cryers!

I know it sounds all doom and gloom, and I've said similar things in the past, but seriously :

Did anyone here expect the same people to magically turn into a contender overnight just because they got a new owner?

Championship teams are built over time, and the perfect time to start is this off-season.

I dont' want this team to lose, but if losing means they become a better team down the stretch, then I have to say I don't mind as much. Or at least, that's what I keep telling myself. God, I hate the Cryers!

Good post.

Archived